Pour temp question

That is my thinking. It seems odd to me that IGI and Candle Science would push that number without any explanation if it is only for glass containers. I prefer to get to about 155 and give my wax a good stirring before I pour.

• Like 1

That's close to the temp I pour it at and have had no issues with glass, looks great every time.  I love everything about 4627 but in jars I find that wicks drown out a lot easier towards the bottom compared to everything else I use like 6006 / Pro-Blend so I have to stick to tins.

11 hours ago, ErronB said:

That's close to the temp I pour it at and have had no issues with glass, looks great every time.  I love everything about 4627 but in jars I find that wicks drown out a lot easier towards the bottom compared to everything else I use like 6006 / Pro-Blend so I have to stick to tins.

That's interesting. I was thinking about getting some glass containers to double wick 4627. Does the look of the wax bother you?

14 hours ago, Forrest said:

That's interesting. I was thinking about getting some glass containers to double wick 4627. Does the look of the wax bother you?

Good luck with double wicking it, I've tried everything and the only way I got it to work was adding soy and even then I wasn't totally satisfied with it, which kind of defeats the purpose of using 4627 for the superior HT. So if you figure out how to do it I'd love to know how. With 2 wicks the hot throw is easily on par with a BBW triple wick, it's beastly, but once you get to the bottom 1/3 of the candle you'll see the struggles. 6006 doesn't have this issue for me, but as you've probably already figured out, it can't hold a candle to 4627 for the scents that are difficult to get a good HT from. I'd say 99% of the scents I've tried have worked, with 6006 I'd say maybe 70%.

The look only bothers me if I'm not using dye, it holds color so nicely it's almost criminal to not use some. Without it, it does look like a vaseline candle lol.

• Like 1

What I found through experimenting with different waxes is I added 20-30% of 2281 which is still a low melt point container wax but its harder and has no additives. Makes 4627 very easy to dbl wick and you still get the same scent throw. It also makes the wax look so much better than just plain 4627 by itself. You could also try 4786 instead of 2281. I wouldn't add a hard pillar wax because of the shrinkage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ErronB said:

Good luck with double wicking it, I've tried everything and the only way I got it to work was adding soy and even then I wasn't totally satisfied with it, which kind of defeats the purpose of using 4627 for the superior HT. So if you figure out how to do it I'd love to know how. With 2 wicks the hot throw is easily on par with a BBW triple wick, it's beastly, but once you get to the bottom 1/3 of the candle you'll see the struggles. 6006 doesn't have this issue for me, but as you've probably already figured out, it can't hold a candle to 4627 for the scents that are difficult to get a good HT from. I'd say 99% of the scents I've tried have worked, with 6006 I'd say maybe 70%.

The look only bothers me if I'm not using dye, it holds color so nicely it's almost criminal to not use some. Without it, it does look like a vaseline candle lol.

I appreciate the good advice, you probably saved me a lot of trouble and money. Being a hobbyist I try and keep things simple. I can get slightly more surface area of wax from two 8oz tins than I can from the 4 inch container I was planning to try and double wick; I think I’ll stick to the tins. Then the look of the wax won’t matter and I’ll get just as much HT.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I appreciate the good advice, you probably saved me a lot of trouble and money. Being a hobbyist I try and keep things simple. I can get slightly more surface area of wax from two 8oz tins than I can from the 4 inch container I was planning to try and double wick; I think I’ll stick to the tins. Then the look of the wax won’t matter and I’ll get just as much HT.

Yeah, I would just stick to the tins as you can wick pretty much anything decently in those.

I've wasted almost a thousand dollars on supplies testing 4627 the last few months and still haven't got the results I wanted for a retail candle, the 4-8oz tins worked out for me but nothing else. I ended up going back to Pro-blend parasoy recently because the burn properties are the cleanest for the fragrances I'm using, the HT isn't the greatest but it's not bad, in the end I just wanted a candle I was confident to give to people. 

• Like 1