Freedom Soy Wax Beads

On 12/17/2019 at 7:59 AM, franu61 said:

I have not tried these.  I did love the millennium wax, but with shipping, it got too expensive for me. The freedom is a little better price, I may have to try some.  Wish they'd say what's in it.

I used Millennium for several years (5 years) from Enchanted Lites. Yes, it got very expensive and when I sold my storefront I couldn't buy in bulk like I used to. I've been using Midwest straight for my Soy candles and use it in my proprietary blend for my parasoy.

i don't know that I want to try a new wax, but I was wondering if anyone knows since I buy from them. 

On 12/17/2019 at 8:26 AM, TallTayl said:

Didn‘t ASO recently announce the production of GB464 in pellet form? Between this and the microwave soy offered on the site, not sure if the new waxes are not just something “old” repackaged into something “new”.

I don't know? 🤷‍♀️

I use their Midwest and they have added some "new" ("old") and I thought I'd see if anyone here has tried it. I do like the pellet form that Midwest is sold in. It's so easy!

• 4 weeks later...

I talked to ASO and specifically asked the question if it was GB464 and the answer I was given was it was 100% Midwest with some form of botanical blend.  I have been testing Freedom the last few weeks and havent been extremely impressed yet.  I've been a Millenium user since I can get it locally.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wax Boy said:

I talked to ASO and specifically asked the question if it was GB464 and the answer I was given was it was 100% Midwest with some form of botanical blend.  I have been testing Freedom the last few weeks and havent been extremely impressed yet.  I've been a Millenium user since I can get it locally.

Thanks for taking one for the team. 

• Like 1

When I picked up my last order at their facility, (April 2019) they were in the process of adding 'new' Soy products. The owner told me that much, but no details. She said it would be out before the end of the year (2019). I'd be very surprised if they were just repackaging somebody else's product. They have conveyer belts with overhead equipment that drops liquid wax that dries into the pellet forms. HUGE and impressive. It's made in the building where I pick it up.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:45 AM, Wax Boy said:

Can you give us your likes and dislikes about Freedom wax from ASO.  Like you...I have a local supplier that carries it, so I'm really interested in your thoughts about it.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 10:10 AM, Soy-N-Suds said:

When I picked up my last order at their facility, (April 2019) they were in the process of adding 'new' Soy products. The owner told me that much, but no details. She said it would be out before the end of the year (2019). I'd be very surprised if they were just repackaging somebody else's product. They have conveyer belts with overhead equipment that drops liquid wax that dries into the pellet forms. HUGE and impressive. It's made in the building where I pick it up.

There was an announcement a few months back that they are producing 464 in pellet form. They could contract manufacture/ produce lots of waxes in their facility. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 11:45 PM, Wax Boy said:

I'm wondering with some time passing and perhaps some more testing if you have more specifics on the Freedom Soy?

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 12:45 AM, Wax Boy said:

That is interesting as I was told in the past that their millenium is the midwest with botanical blend.  The freedom is 464 in pellet form and I know this because the tab in my search bar says 464 when I click on their freedom wax link.

imageedit_1_4069442633.jpg

Edited by lovelyscents
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, Soy-N-Suds said:

I used Millennium for several years (5 years) from Enchanted Lites. Yes, it got very expensive and when I sold my storefront I couldn't buy in bulk like I used to. I've been using Midwest straight for my Soy candles and use it in my proprietary blend for my parasoy.

i don't know that I want to try a new wax, but I was wondering if anyone knows since I buy from them. 

Which wick do you like with straight Midwest if you don't mind sharing?  

On 2/29/2020 at 12:55 PM, lovelyscents said:

Which wick do you like with straight Midwest if you don't mind sharing?  

The LX series is working the best for me. I tested with HTP, CD, RRD, ECO, and LX. The LX outperformed the other brands in all categories: Great Flame, No CB's, Very Good to Excellent HT and CT, and Zero Soot.

I've tested quite a few in 8oz flint jar, 2.5"w, and LX10 or LX12 have worked depending on the fragrance.

I've tested only a few fragrances in pint jars and they have ranged from LX12, LX14, and LX16.

I use 6% FO, date the jar, and put them on a shelf for 3 months before burning. Often the are 4-5 months before I light them.

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2019 at 9:21 PM, Soy-N-Suds said:

I realy have problem.with the millenium wax ive always work with q230 and i never had problems.  with millenium i dont have a lot of  HT with 9% sometimes 12. I pour at 115 F . Im not realy impress can somedy told me and help to me work with this one? Sorry my english is.bad im gros canada and Aldo i would like to know how do you think.is the freedom.wax? On so sad because my wax ive always use the compagny are close... thanks

• 4 months later...

Wow!! I feel deliberately deceived! I called ASO and talked with them about their waxes because I am looking for something new. I was having issues with 464 after like 5 years of having a perfect setup. It seems like the past 6 months there is no hot throw. The lady on the phone said she didn’t know anything about 464, but recommended their Freedom wax since the melt point and pour temps were similar and I would be familiar with working with it.  Now I’m finding out Freedom is 464 after I just bought 45lbs.?!? 

Edited by KReeD

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 6:25 PM, KReeD said:

Wow!! I feel deliberately deceived! I called ASO and talked with them about their waxes because I am looking for something new. I was having issues with 464 after like 5 years of having a perfect setup. It seems like the past 6 months there is no hot throw. The lady on the phone said she didn’t know anything about 464, but recommended their Freedom wax since the melt point and pour temps were similar and I would be familiar with working with it.  Now I’m finding out Freedom is 464 after I just bought 45lbs.?!? 

Have you had a chance to try the "Freedom"? Since you are familiar with 464 you'd probably know if they are the same. I really like the Midwest for my 100% soy candles, but I am curious. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I live in the Caribbean and my house does not have AC either. What’s the best temp to achieve smooth tops? I’m currently going to use soy freedom wax 415. I would usually melt wax to 160 then add fragrance oil at 130 and pour into jar at 105. 

Freedom soy like many orher soy waxes benefits from a higher melting temp. ASO prints on their bags to only heat to some temp based on their formula. Without fail the weeping and graininess and rough tops result. The soy molecules need a bit more to perform like we want. 

I would raise your meltto at least 185, add FO no lower than 170. Thenplay with your pour temp based on your jars and ambient temps. 

example, I accidentally heated to 225 and poured into ceramic containers I make at 200 and had some of the nicest soy candles using their waxes. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have some insight on the 464 vs Freedom Wax.

Freedom Wax was built to work like 464, but without the occasional problems and "bad batches" that result in high moisture content of the 464.  It's formulated with similar melt points and all-natural ingredients, but with better color retention, fragrance throw, and ease-of-use.  If you are using 464 today, you will absolutely have a better user experience with Freedom. 

It's Amazon's #1 selling candle wax for a reason.  It flat out WORKS for making all-natural candles.

~Eric

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric said:

I have some insight on the 464 vs Freedom Wax.

Freedom Wax was built to work like 464, but without the occasional problems and "bad batches" that result in high moisture content of the 464.  It's formulated with similar melt points and all-natural ingredients, but with better color retention, fragrance throw, and ease-of-use.  If you are using 464 today, you will absolutely have a better user experience with Freedom. 

It's Amazon's #1 selling candle wax for a reason.  It flat out WORKS for making all-natural candles.

~Eric

Thanks for your post. American Soy waxes fo seem more consistent between lot numbers than AkoSoy (new golden brands manufacturer) 

the freedom wax still frosts and grains with cavities possible, but at least most can deal with that since it burns ok. 

• Like 1

Thanks TallTayl,

Frosting and graininess can have a lot to do with dye and fragrance, and usually indicate problems in the crystallization process as the product is cooled, generally caused by components in the fragrance oil.  Graininess can generally be fixed by adding energy.  Get the wax hotter, stir more aggressively, and even pouring hotter can fix this.  Freedom wax can generally take it, just be sure not to cool it too quickly, or you could end up with unsightly sink-holes.

A good test to see if the issue is in the wax or fragrance is to microwave several ounces of wax to a temp of 175F, add a couple drops of liquid candle dye (but not fragrance), stir well, and let it cool.  If you see heavy frosting (there always seems to be slight frosting in natural soy), it could be a wax issue.  Freedom Wax has been formulated to heavily reduce frosting.  

Hope this helps!

~Eric

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Thanks TallTayl,

Frosting and graininess can have a lot to do with dye and fragrance, and usually indicate problems in the crystallization process as the product is cooled, generally caused by components in the fragrance oil.  Graininess can generally be fixed by adding energy.  Get the wax hotter, stir more aggressively, and even pouring hotter can fix this.  Freedom wax can generally take it, just be sure not to cool it too quickly, or you could end up with unsightly sink-holes.

A good test to see if the issue is in the wax or fragrance is to microwave several ounces of wax to a temp of 175F, add a couple drops of liquid candle dye (but not fragrance), stir well, and let it cool.  If you see heavy frosting (there always seems to be slight frosting in natural soy), it could be a wax issue.  Freedom Wax has been formulated to heavily reduce frosting.  

Hope this helps!

~Eric

understandable how variables contribute to the unstable soy crystallization. Many of us do "naked" wax tests to determine wicking needs and to understand how the wax performs over time.  Freedom soy with no additives is no better than most other soy waxes in how it ages. Soy at its core is always soy. I keep samples of flakes and pellets aside from each lot to watch them age. All of them get crispy and brittle riddled with bloom even out of the original packaging. Likewise a perfect looking candle sample aged in normal room temp gets grainy and dry over time. I have dug out enough soy candles to see this phenomenon first hand. Every single "pure soy" looks nearly identical within 6 months to a year. This is problematic when sending candles to wholesale accounts that might not have high enough turnover to keep them looking lovely throughout their selling seasons. 

Pouring temp, as you know, also depends on ambient conditions along with the type and size of vessel used. Pouring hot into a tin will nearly always result in hidden cavities just because of how a tin cools.  I find deep cavities in glass if the room temp fluctuates or if there's a draft.

When we need to make hundreds and even thousands in a pour there is simply no time to fiddle with all of the little tricks needed to make a wax look nice for the customers and private label clients. "pure" Soy waxes and most soy wax blends are just not manufacturing friendly.

• Like 1