Immersion blender?

calan

Has anyone used a slow-speed immersion blender for mixing the FO into hot wax?

I have a mini variable speed mixer with a small flat attachment that I've started using on small 8 oz test batches, and it works beautifully. (Just have to be careful to not let air get pulled in). 

Seems like a larger version of it would be fantastic for a pitcher full of 5 lbs of wax, but I don't find any discussion about it.

• Like 1

There is a topic somewhere about using a paint mixer which is similar.  I don't feel either is a good idea as they incorporates air bubbles.  It doesn't take that much stirring to incorporate fo if you are mixing it in at the right temperature.  After initial mix, just gently stir a few times during the cooling process and again right before pouring if it's not too slushy.  Some people feel the need to stir the entire time it cools but I haven't found that to be true with any wax I've tried.

• Like 1

I tried with a Coconut/soy/palm blend a year or so ago and had seepage in that batch.  Probably coincidence but it happened. Chances are I injected tiny air bubbles. Or the blend was just terrible. 

I can see an immersion blender being helpful in blends where different waxes need to be thoroughly homogenous, though it seems commercially available blends have been engineered around that need.

Commercial candle makers seem to either have wide stirring blades in the melter to gently stir, or they use a hose that pressure injects fragrance into the wax during pouring directly into their containers. 

generally a wide silicone spatula in a pour pot does a fine job in my shop. Those new devices from candle science use a heated magnetic mixer and people seem to like them (though the batches are teensy)

let us know how immersion goes long- term. I’m an old dog who loves new tricks. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

There is a topic somewhere about using a paint mixer which is similar.  I don't feel either is a good idea as they incorporates air bubbles.  It doesn't take that much stirring to incorporate fo if you are mixing it in at the right temperature.  After initial mix, just gently stir a few times during the cooling process and again right before pouring if it's not too slushy.  Some people feel the need to stir the entire time it cools but I haven't found that to be true with any wax I've tried.

Never even thought about a paint mixer.  :rolleyes::)

I'm stirring with a plastic spoon or spatula from the minute I add dye and FO until cool enough to pour (typically 3-4 minutes), and can still see a few areas of inconsistent dye sometimes...so I know the FO is probably not as well blended as it could be either.

Using the mini blender on small batches solves that and blends everything beautifully, so I may experiement on a larger scale and see what happens.

My DH insisted once that taking out the churner from an old fashioned butter churn would work great.  It did work quite well but I can't tell you how much wax I lost because the wood blades sucked it up and it stuck to them.  I couldn't do multiple scents either without waiting to clean and scent to fade on the blades.

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2019 at 8:32 PM, calan said:

Has anyone used a slow-speed immersion blender for mixing the FO into hot wax?

I have a mini variable speed mixer with a small flat attachment that I've started using on small 8 oz test batches, and it works beautifully. (Just have to be careful to not let air get pulled in). 

Seems like a larger version of it would be fantastic for a pitcher full of 5 lbs of wax, but I don't find any discussion about it.

I have used an immersion blender dozens of times, and also a heated bowl/kitchenaid mixer. I would like to say that they were better than hand-mixing, because it seemed like they would have some sort of scientific advantage LOL! But alas, the candles were the same as if I had just occasionally stirred. With the immersion, you have to be careful not to lift it up and get air in. I still have some candles labeled "heat mixer" from the experiments...they are no better or worse with cold throw or hot throw.

• Like 2