Thinking about moving to the garage

Just my candle making, the wife still lets me in the house most of the time. I’d need to buy a couple of Presto Pots and maybe a hotplate. I would also need to restrict my candle making to the morning during the summer and afternoon during the winter, but it would get me out of the kitchen and there wouldn’t be wax on the counter tops, or the floor, or stove, or cabinet doors. I will still keep my wax in the house, but all my other candle stuff is already in the garage. Does anyone have experience with candle making in an uncontrolled environment? I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything.  

Where do you live? I know I could not do it in our barn as we live upstate New York. No way!

I assume you garage has no heat? Possible fire hazard with cars, wax, fragrance oils, and presto pots.

Maybe your town has some kind of craft center, or a space you couldn’t work out of.

• Like 1

If there's heat and air in there I don't see why not.   I'm moving my soapmaking out to an enclosed attached carport (no car kept there).   There's a wall gas heater and I have a portable air conditioner.   I want to free up my spare bedroom.   I'll probably still make stuff in the kitchen sometimes.  But having the option to make it somewhere else is very appealing to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightLight said:

Where do you live? I know I could not do it in our barn as we live upstate New York. No way!

I assume you garage has no heat? Possible fire hazard with cars, wax, fragrance oils, and presto pots.

Maybe your town has some kind of craft center, or a space you couldn’t work out of.

I live in North Alabama, on a really day hot my garage could reach 90, but the morning wouldn't be hot, during the winter there might be a few days I wouldn't want work in the garage, but mostly it isn't too cold in the afternoon. The good thing is I don't have to make candles, so if it is too hot or cold I'll just wait for milder weather.

26 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I live in North Alabama, on a really day hot my garage could reach 90, but the morning wouldn't be hot, during the winter there might be a few days I wouldn't want work in the garage, but mostly it isn't too cold in the afternoon. The good thing is I don't have to make candles, so if it is too hot or cold I'll just wait for milder weather.

You will be perfectly fine... Except that YOU might be a bit cold when pouring during the winter months...

I live in California so temperature here can go up making finished candles "sweat" when stored which is the biggest concern being in an uncontrolled environment.

Buy a couple of old fridges to store your fragrance oils in, heat during summer can destroy or shorten the life of some fragrances...

• Thanks 1