6006 users - have you noticed a change in the last year or 2?

For most of last year, I was using 6006 that had been purchased in 2017.  This year, I purchased new cases of 6006.  I had to wick up a bit, but no biggie.  Nothing really concerned me since it's not unusual to see slight variations from batch to batch.  Nothing overly odd jumped out at me except the fact that I could not get a couple of containers wicked.  For example, I used to be able to double wick apothecaries with 2 - 36z wicks.  Now those wicks drown every single time.  I was switching over to mason jars, so I didn't worry about it.

For other reasons this year I have done a lot of really extensive testing, and I've decided to  start using CBL 130 (if CW can keep it in stock).  Since using the 130, I've noticed that it burns more like the old 6006 did.  The newer cases of 6006 didn't seem to burn as well, like the wax was more viscous or something.  The more I've used the 130 the more off the newer 6006 seems.  Comparing the two waxes side by side, the 130 mushrooms way less, the flames are steadier, and it's just easier to burn, even with smaller wicks.  Significantly smaller....like 2 sizes smaller.  

I haven't seen any posts regarding this, so I'm just wondering if it's my imagination.  Or maybe my candles have always sucked and I just never realized it until now.

• Haha 1

I buy from Flaming and I got one batch that was different, a little bit darker, and needed a slightly bigger wick. I just blended it with some old 6006 and it all evened out. I think when I finish the 6006 I have I'm going to concentrate on 4630 for a while, I find I like the instant gratification.

28 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I buy from Flaming and I got one batch that was different, a little bit darker, and needed a slightly bigger wick. I just blended it with some old 6006 and it all evened out. I think when I finish the 6006 I have I'm going to concentrate on 4630 for a while, I find I like the instant gratification.

I have flip flopped between 4630 & 6006 a lot.  I just cannot get over how ugly the wet spots are with 4630.  Some batches are worse than others. The last batch I had was the worst, and I swore that mess off forever.  We'll see how long that lasts...LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I have flip flopped between 4630 & 6006 a lot.  I just cannot get over how ugly the wet spots are with 4630.  Some batches are worse than others. The last batch I had was the worst, and I swore that mess off forever.  We'll see how long that lasts...LOL

I've not had any wet spots in my tins yet, but as long as the candle smell good I'll probably just ignore them, and if anybody says anything I'll cut off their supply of free candles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This did happen to me recently, and I even tested it again just to be 100% sure with the same fragrance. 2 different slabs of 6006, same containers, same LX 16 wicks, one burned as usual, no problem at all, other one wouldnt even reach FMP, in the 8oz JJ, and I'm not talking about a little bit of hang, this was a lot more. 

I thought it was just me and my luck since most other people who have been using it for years say they've not noticed anything different and I just didn't get along with it very much. Now I just use 4627 or Joy Wax depending on how I want to wick it and had no issues yet. 

Edited by ErronB

Here's one I found from my dodgy batch of 6006, that is a CD12 wick believe it or not and the first burn was for 6 hours, the others were shorter and I could see it just wasn't having it so I threw it aside. I've never needed a wick that kinda size before and the HT was a bit weird too. Used up my newest slab from TFC with much smaller CD / LX and was burning just fine.

I'm glad I don't use it anymore lol.

candle.jpeg

• Like 1

The throw is fine for me, but the burn is off.  The change is fairly subtle, but it's there.  Not a big deal in mason jars.  A size up and they are good to go, mostly.  It is the 3"+ containers that just never will reach a FMP, even at the end.  Wicking up really doesn't help.  2 or 3 sizes up and the MP stays the same.  After head scratching for a while, I pulled some candles from last year off the shelf to compare, and they burn just fine.  Nothing like the recent ones.  The CBL 130 is not perfect, but it's better.  I can run production with it, at least.  For the time being.
If I had the room, I'd buy a pallet before something changes with it.

Now I'm getting worried. I bought some 6006 back in May and I used it for some candles that I am doing a long cure on. I guess I better test it. I'm wondering if they used some bad soy wax that they couldn't sell to make a batch of 6006. I'm liking 4630 more and more.

17 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Now I'm getting worried. I bought some 6006 back in May and I used it for some candles that I am doing a long cure on. I guess I better test it. I'm wondering if they used some bad soy wax that they couldn't sell to make a batch of 6006. I'm liking 4630 more and more.

Don't be too worried.  It's usable.  The bigger containers are just a pain.  A lot of users probably won't even notice anything is up.  But there is a difference in a side by side comparison with previous 6006.  I'm sure it's within spec, as they say, or just normal variation....blah blah blah.  I just wish ordering wax wasn't always a crap shoot.  I had a really hard batch of 4630 a while back and I had to re-do my wicking for that mess, although no one else seemed to notice any difference.  Apparently my expectations are just too high.  

13 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Don't be too worried.  It's usable.  The bigger containers are just a pain.  A lot of users probably won't even notice anything is up.  But there is a difference in a side by side comparison with previous 6006.  I'm sure it's within spec, as they say, or just normal variation....blah blah blah.  I just wish ordering wax wasn't always a crap shoot.  I had a really hard batch of 4630 a while back and I had to re-do my wicking for that mess, although no one else seemed to notice any difference.  Apparently my expectations are just too high.  

But I have 40 Christmas candles under the bed and I don't know which are new wax and which are old wax.  Hopefully my wax is good, I didn't notice any difference. But I was planning to make a bunch of candles for long cures next week. I'll just have to burn one of the last Christmas candles I made and hope it is the new wax.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Forrest said:

But I have 40 Christmas candles under the bed and I don't know which are new wax and which are old wax.  Hopefully my wax is good, I didn't notice any difference. But I was planning to make a bunch of candles for long cures next week. I'll just have to burn one of the last Christmas candles I made and hope it is the new wax.

Just pull a couple and burn 'em for your own peace of mind.  You may not notice any difference at all.  It took me a long time to figure out something wasn't quite right....about a case worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Look what I found.  A thread discussing what we've been discussing.  Pic is of a CD16 in an 8 oz tin with 6.5% of Frasier Fir from FC.    You really can't even tell the difference in the MP between a CD10, 12, 14, and 16.  The only difference is how well it cleans up when it gets down to the bottom.  The only test that I've had that didn't leave a lot of wax in the corners of the bottom of the tin was straight 6006 with a CD16.  I'm going to have to move away from trying to use 6006 in tins I guess.  I can get it to work in smaller glass containers but tins just aren't working no matter what combination of wick series or size for any of the at least 10 different scents I've tried.  

IMG_20191011_183703.jpg