464 vs C3 vs Coconut

It’s been ages since I’ve been on here and it’s time to order more wax. I’m just heartbroken for all the folks that have had to completely change the way they make candles. It sure is a confidence killer.

I have always used 464 in the Libby 13.25oz tumbler. Had everything figured out and was happy with the scent throw. I’ve gone back and read posts back to 2017/2018 and have taken notes. I’m not sure if I want to continue with 464 or try to make the switch to C3 or try adding a smidge of coconut wax.

Has anyone ordered boxes of 464 with 2019 production dates and had better results?

Based on past threads it seems most people add coconut to C3. I live in TN and I think all coconut would be too soft  in the summer. Does anyone add coconut to 464? Love it hate it?

Does adding 5 to 10% of coconut change your hot throw that much?

I have ordered wax from FC and Candle Science in the past. Most of my oils are CS. The rest are FC.

I realize my mileage may very and I will need to retest whichever route I go. Just trying to get some advice for my “thinking out loud” post.

Thanks so much in advance 

Jody

• Like 2

I have not found coconut oil/wax to be any sort of magic bullet. Having completed many line tests with coconut 76, coconut 92, fractionated coconut oil and several coconut waxes I’m still not as convinced as others on this board. If the soy wax is even slightly to “wet” I get hairline or larger cracks over time as the soy desiccates. 

I used to like c3. Not love, just like enough to stick with it. At least C3 is fairly consistent from batch to batch. There’s a weird smell to it and it’s super sensitive to heat in large melters. I changed to C1 late last year and it’s”better” all around but still not perfect.  I find it gets really dry as the candles cure, like there’s too much palm in it. (C1 is 80:20 soy:palm). A little coconut with that one sometimes helps. A little plain / naked soy sometimes helps. 

I have tried the reverse, using container palm in a few soy waxes and wasn’t totally disappointed. The palm seems to help regulate the melt a bit. Soy wax, as you probably remember, gets slushy then totally liquid almost imperceptibly. The palm wax helps to keep the sludge more structured. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply TallTayl. I think my best bet is to not try to reinvent the wheel. I called CS yesterday and asked about the recent batches of 464 and they said they were better. I realize “better” is subjective. I’ll order one case and run a bunch of tests. If it doesn’t perform I’ll take a look at C1 or C3.

• Like 1

We know soy varies from year to year and sometimes batch to batch so if you've already done testing with 464 I would stick with it.  Most of the 2017 issues have leveled out with soy, but soy is soy!  I love it or I'd have left it years ago.

I use 5% coco83 with 464. I think it makes a difference in HT (I use wood wicks so keep that in mind.overall). You have to pour hotter than straight 464. I live in Georgia and have not had a huge issue with the wax being too soft. However there have been times where I threw in a freezer pack when shipping on scorching hot days.

I can't comment on 2019 batches of 464 because I stocked up a ton in gall of 2018.

Hi!

i been using 464 since last November and have not had issues other than bumpy, pitted tops after the burn. I’m finding a longer cure is beneficial, even a month. The throw improves so much with most f.o.

I also use coconut wax from Northwoods and Lab Co. I love both! For me they are exceptional in every way, either straight or blended.

My latest blend is 50% 464 and 50% coconut wax, either brand I mentioned. Longer cure time is best, 2 weeks up to a month.  The blend is creamy, smooth before and after every burn, great for me all the way around. 🌸

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. My 464 arrived today so I’m going to start playing with it tomorrow....and I’ll probably try adding some coconut just for the sake of science. And to satisfy my curiosity.