Shower Steamers / Shower Bombs

jfc

Does anyone have experience with shower steamers? I've made a few batches but the scent did not come through in the shower as strong as I'd like. I am using essential oils such as eucalyptus and peppermint oil. Any tips on how to rework these batches? Thanks.

I make shower steamers but use menthol crystals in them along with EO.   If you post your recipe we may be able to help troubleshoot.  How much EO are you using?  That will play a big part in them having a good scent throw in the shower.

Hi Shari, here's my recipe.  I used silicone ice cube trays and each steamer came out to 1 in x 1 in.

20 oz. Sodium Bicarbonate
10 oz. Citric Acid
36 mL Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Witch Hazel

20 hours ago, jfc said:

Hi Shari, here's my recipe.  I used silicone ice cube trays and each steamer came out to 1 in x 1 in.

20 oz. Sodium Bicarbonate
10 oz. Citric Acid
36 mL Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Witch Hazel

Feeling like I could really use these in my shower to help with allergies, thanks for sharing your recipe!

This is the one I use:   1 oz menthol crystals (cover with 91% alcohol).  Just enough to cover and dissolve.   8 oz. Baking soda, 4 oz. Citric Acid, 2 oz. Cornstarch

Sift dry ingredients, mix well.  Add wet ingredient and mix well.   I also add some eucalyptus or lavender to them.  

@jfc I'm not exactly sure.  I found this recipe quite some time ago, tried it and it worked.  So I just stuck with it. I mostly make them for me and my family. I tried selling them but they weren't big sellers. Most likely because I don't do a lot of shows during the colder months here.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post.  I just made shower steamers again (first time since moving to OR) and they grew like crazy.  Last time they came out nice and flat.  Not sure if it's the humidity in our house/outside or I added too much witch hazel?  Any ideas?  This batch was for me so I don't care I'll use them but I'd like to start selling them again.

15 hours ago, NightLight said:

You have to be accurate with witch hazel amount. If you are off by just a little bit, you will have growth.

Dang! Thanks, My notes say spritz until it holds together, I prob did too much.  Also wondering if humidity plays a part, they are finally dry and not sticky.