Coconut wax vs others

Hello, 

I am pretty new to candle making and loving it so far, however, I've come into some trouble with the candles I've already made thus far. 

I bought generic beeswax and soy wax from hobby lobby, but neither of them performed that well, i used a fair amount of essential oil with it and i was pretty disappointed. I have since done some research and found a few people saying that coconut is a pretty good wax for scent throw and health etc. 

On the forums here i have seen people say igi-4627 is a good wax for scent throw, however, this is a paraffin wax which i don't really want to use and was looking for a coconut/soy mix alternative which performs as well as this wax. 

Does anyone have any advice for any wax that i can try that will perform well for me?

I will mainly be doing glass jar candles and/or cement container candles. 

Thanks, 
Chad

Hi Chad

I don’t recommend buying wax from local hobby stores if your looking to pursue making good consistent candles 

There are so many suppliers out there that specialize in this and have quality waxes 

if your looking to do a coconut soy blend there are several to choose from however many are out of stock right now because of production/manufacturing issues 

a few of them to check out are:

candles and supplies 

Northwood candle supply

calcandle supply 

and I think cargil nature wax C6 is a soy coconut blend that can be found at the flaming candle 

if you do a search on the forum for coconut wax you can read a lot of good information and problem solving we have all been going through with this new trend 

There is little consensus as to the "best" wax, especially concerning coconut wax. I'm learning the best thing you can do is allot yourself a good chunk of time for experimentation and trial and error.

With that said, I currently am in the process of making my own coconut/soy blend by using percentages of these two waxes:

100% coconut wax

https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/naturewax-coconut-1-50-case.html

100% soy wax

https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/aaks-golden-wax-415-100-soy-formerly-golden-brands.html

Best of luck!

Hi @ChadTaljaardt. As some have said on here, there's not really any 1 go to wax that will do everything you want and do it consistently, unfortunately. Loads of trial and error testing are ahead of you. Yes, it's probably a good idea to pick 1 type of wax to begin with; coconut, soy, paraffin or whatever and test till you find one that makes you happy and either stop or then move on to the next type of wax. But if you keep moving on, your journey never ends, LOL. Please note, I'm not an expert, I'm still learning and trying to formulate a great candle myself, LOL.

Here's a list of candle supply companies. Some may be local to you to save on shipping.

3 hours ago, bktolbert said:

There is little consensus as to the "best" wax, especially concerning coconut wax. I'm learning the best thing you can do is allot yourself a good chunk of time for experimentation and trial and error.

With that said, I currently am in the process of making my own coconut/soy blend by using percentages of these two waxes:

100% coconut wax

https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/naturewax-coconut-1-50-case.html

100% soy wax

https://www.fillmorecontainer.com/aaks-golden-wax-415-100-soy-formerly-golden-brands.html

Best of luck!

What do you suppose is the difference between Naturewax Coconut 1 (MP 90-102)  and plain old Coconut Oil (92)?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pughaus said:

What do you suppose is the difference between Naturewax Coconut 1 (MP 90-102)  and plain old Coconut Oil (92)?

Not sure if there's an actual difference between the coconut oil you can buy from you grocery market compared to Naturewax's. Naturewax's oil is hydrogenated, which from my understanding raises the mp. I believe most store bought coconut oil is non-hydrogenated... but don't quote me on that.

The grocery store is most likely plain old coconut 76, meaning it melts at 76*F. It spreads and melts readily.

higher melt point coconut oil available to us through some suppliers (unlikely grocery store aisles) is 92*, which is partially hydrogenated.  It is very hard to remove from a container. I

14 hours ago, pughaus said:

From what I can tell nothing - it looks, feels and behaves the same in candles 

coconut 2 is supposed to have 2% soy in it and it is a little firmer blended in other waxes but would be too soft imo to use alone in a candle 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

From what I can tell nothing - it looks, feels and behaves the same in candles 

coconut 2 is supposed to have 2% soy in it and it is a little firmer blended in other waxes but would be too soft imo to use alone in a candle 

Right, I think as TT said, coconut 1 is coconut oil 92 with another name.  They cost about the same too but if someone lives close to a soapmaking supplier that has coconut oil 92 maybe they can save $ on freight buying that instead of shipping in 50 lbs of coconut 1 wax from one of the few places that stock it.
 I don't see the point of coconut 2 especially if one is already blending this with soy themselves, as I imagine anyone would.   It's not as if you can really use it as a stand alone wax. 

11 minutes ago, pughaus said:

Right, I think as TT said, coconut 1 is coconut oil 92 with another name.  They cost about the same too but if someone lives close to a soapmaking supplier that has coconut oil 92 maybe they can save $ on freight buying that instead of shipping in 50 lbs of coconut 1 wax from one of the few places that stock it.
 I don't see the point of coconut 2 especially if one is already blending this with soy themselves, as I imagine anyone would.   It's not as if you can really use it as a stand alone wax. 

Super soft IMO, I just felt it never used it but I didn't like the feel so walked away.  Was told it was more for the massage candles but idk I guess with that low % of soy wax it would work for those.

• 1 year later...