Crumbly Soap?

Courtney

YEah there could be a BUNCH of different things going on here... BUT given the pocketing and the little pools of dark spots I'd hazard a guess that your batch riced on you in the mold. Strong floral scent was it? (maybe a lemon?) 

Really gotta know CP or HP (it's CP 100%) and then we gotta see the actual formulation weights everything and if you've got it the soap calc sheet would be great. Do you know if it's zappy or has any active lye still in it?

Yes, the fragrance had lemon and lime in it. And I used the CP method.

I use a simple recipe

24%coconut oil

44% olive oil

32% palm oil

I've had one other batch rice on me in the mold with an old recipe I was using. I've made about 5 batches with this recipe so far and they've all been wonderful, which is why I'm leaning towards the FO. It's called Black Tie by Nature's Garden. Luckily this was just a test batch.

Also I don't know if it makes a difference but I use olive oil from the grocery store. I have used the same exact brand since I've been soaping.

I also don't believe it has any active lye in it.

Edited by Courtney

I've had lemon do all sorts of really rude things to me before. I use GV Classic Olive Oil from Walmart. As long as it's 100% olive oil (as opposed to Olive oil Blend) you "should" be ok to use it. I'm pretty sure it was likely the FO... HOWEVER, was the fat blend clear when you soaped or was it clouded up? I had a batch never fully cure on me because my fats had gotten too cool when I soaped them and it was sorta like this but more I dunno... GREASY for lack of a better term and it still had lye loose in it 3 days after I had made it. I used an oven to help cook it along and get the lye used up, but it was still greasy as hell and soft when I went to try the bars out. I ended up rebatching it in a crockpot with a BUTT TON of coconut milk. 

THIS! THIS is WHY we do test batches! 

HTH, 

Sponiebr
The Executor of Bad Ideas and Sundry Services 

That looks to me like it was just too cold. The corners and edges did not get a chance to saponify because there was not enough heat energy to do so. Next time when your molds and Jana in the oven if your room is cold.

You could try rebatching this. I’d be inclined to dump it all into an oven safe bowl and let it go sit in the warm oven for a while. You may need to add some liquid. That’s about the easiest method other than the boil in bag.