Electric Burner Reviews

So, I've decided to set up a candle making area near where I keep my supplies rather than always doing it in the kitchen.  This way, it doesn't matter if I'm using the stove for other purposes, a candle can still be in the works.  I went on-line to look at single burner units and it's kind of hard to tell which ones might be durable and suitable.  I've read some reviews on various makes/models and some are good, while some are not so good.  For instance, one question in a review asked what temperature "low" is for the setting and the seller simply said, "low" means "low" ... and, in reading reviews, some offered some tips for not overheating. 

What I'm looking at currently is one by Nesco (product SB-01) ... not an expensive unit for this purpose, but the cheaper ones seem to get some bad remarks.  For instance, there is one by Oster and more than one person complained that the knob fell off.  There is also one by Continental, but the one I may have looked at was a double, which I was at first considering.  There is one by Elite Cuisine, which is a cheaper unit and it seemed to have nice reviews, so it's hard to tell.  And, although the ones I've looked at show how many watts, none of them seem to readily show the cord length in the specs. 

I thought I'd share my findings here, and if anyone has any experience they would like to share, I'd be interested to know what they are! 

7 hours ago, runner14jc said:

Just to add in another suggestion....have you considered a presto pot instead of a burner?

No, I haven't at this time, maybe sometime in the future.  For now, I work with a few different waxes, so I've got a real mess going on!  I have various melting pots or vintage coffee cans that have been bent so they have a spout that all have little remnant coatings of a variety of colors in each of them; of those, some are devoted to soy wax and others to paraffin.  Then I have a little collection of glass coffee pots for gel candle projects.  So, as you can probably see, it's much easier for me at this point to grab one of my pots and use a burner.

I made a little progress today, if you can call it that, finding two negative reviews with a similar complaint about the one I was thinking of getting, so now I'm looking at some other ones.

Thanks for your suggestion though, but for now, I've got to go with the mess I've already created!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bfroberts said:

We provide single burner units in our camping cabins.  I've tried several brands, and Waring is the best I've found.

Thanks for the information, I'll check that out ... so far, I think I've settled on one by Ovente which is an infrared type (not an expensive one), and it has a temperature dial.  I like the idea of the temperature dial, so I think I'm probably going to go with this one.  I can't believe how many of the models do not have good reports, it's incredible.

On 8/18/2018 at 1:57 PM, birdcharm said:

Thanks for the information, I'll check that out ... so far, I think I've settled on one by Ovente which is an infrared type (not an expensive one), and it has a temperature dial.  I like the idea of the temperature dial, so I think I'm probably going to go with this one.  I can't believe how many of the models do not have good reports, it's incredible.

Will you provide a review when you purchase this please?  I'm in the market for a unit like this for my new candle studio and I was also agonizing over all of the choices.  Thanks so much!

34 minutes ago, lightmyfire said:

Will you provide a review when you purchase this please?  I'm in the market for a unit like this for my new candle studio and I was also agonizing over all of the choices.  Thanks so much!

It took me awhile to happen upon this, but I think it's going to work!  After I've been able to play with it for awhile, I'll post back to let you know!

Burner product page

Edited by birdcharm
Edit to add ... I ordered yesterday, so it'll be a little while!
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, birdcharm said:

It took me awhile to happen upon this, but I think it's going to work!  After I've been able to play with it for awhile, I'll post back to let you know!

Burner product page

I just ordered it from Walmart!  It was 29.99, free shipping and no tax.  Thanks for the tip on this :bow:

3 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

I just ordered it from Walmart!  It was 29.99, free shipping and no tax.  Thanks for the tip on this :bow:

Good deal ... let me know what you think.  The price at the link I provided is a bit less, but whatever works! ... (the method of payment there is a bit different since you have to use an Amazon account to check out.)  I think it looks like a nice unit, and for the price, compared to some of the other ones, it doesn't seem out of line, and I believe infrared uses less electricity.  One of the complaints about many of them was about how long they take to heat up.  In my searches, I didn't see the one that was suggested here by Waring, but to round out my notes, I'm going to look it up too, just to know for any future reference.  This search about wore me out!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Did you get the double burner unit?

I was going to suggest that, but you already received your burner.

Trappeur

I only got the single unit, but now that I know what these are like, I may start a mini collection of them and get a double sometime!