Mason jar wicking.........help!

So I've decided to branch out with some new containers that I'd like to debut for the fall/holiday season.  I have diligently been testing 9 oz and 16 oz straight sided amber jars as well as 16 oz amber Ball wide mouth jars....all of these have been relatively straight forward for wick choices.  The one that's causing me to pull my hair out is this 12 oz straight sided mason.  I'm not used to wicking a taller container so I'm now discovering the different stages of burning as it gets further down in the jar.  I'm using 6006 and I started with a CD 6,  I didn't like the way it looked like it was headed for tunneling.  I then switched to an 8 and that seemed to be on the same path.  I moved to a CD 10 and that looked good until it burned down about 1/3 of the way and then became far too hot.  I'm back down to a CD 6 as shown in my photo and even that seems pretty warm and the flame is large.  Any suggestions on where to go from here?   BTW, yes I trim my wicks in between each 3 hour burn. These are indeed a tough jar to figure out :confused:

IMG_4595.JPG.6193de0f3e84129886e08ad052e4902f.JPG

IMG_4596.JPG.4e469b58de0a22261d232c12a89f0854.JPG

8 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I'd start testing with 51z.

Thanks! If I'm going to start with a totally new type of wick I'll need to order a few different sizes for testing on this jar.  What sizes do you recommend so I can order them all at once? 

1 hour ago, lightmyfire said:

Thanks! If I'm going to start with a totally new type of wick I'll need to order a few different sizes for testing on this jar.  What sizes do you recommend so I can order them all at once? 

I use zincs almost exclusively with 6006.  Mostly 44-24, 44-32, 51 and 60.  Those sizes cover 9oz straight sided jars, mason jars, tumblers and status jars.

15 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I use zincs almost exclusively with 6006.  Mostly 44-24, 44-32, 51 and 60.  Those sizes cover 9oz straight sided jars, mason jars, tumblers and status jars.

Bless you!  Thanks for this--I will order a sample pack.  Where do you get your wicks?  I have my supplier for the CD's but I'd like to find a good supplier for the zincs.  

On Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 10:16 AM, lightmyfire said:

Bless you!  Thanks for this--I will order a sample pack.  Where do you get your wicks?  I have my supplier for the CD's but I'd like to find a good supplier for the zincs.  

I buy wicks from Flaming and The Candlemakers Store.

• Thanks 1