Trouble of paraffin pillar.HELP!

Hi everyone,

I recently start making parrafin pillar, but it failed every time. Some strange mark like cauliflower always left on the surface and some wax were also sticked on the mould, however Candles can pulled out easily. I poured wax around 100 degree, no fragrance, wax also got additives. I've tried changed different moulds but same result. I also tried to preheat the mould as now is winter time(Australia), but still the same. I don't know what was wrong. Anyone can help? Much appreciated!IMG_20180804_105234.thumb.jpg.910a1c38d75ca8ff640d7c9f813779da.jpgIMG_20180804_105446.thumb.jpg.a7132a8fa85fe06218be7db8880c5a97.jpg

IMG_20180803_082922.thumb.jpg.2af3c35f2daa124a7cb29db81322e0f4.jpgIMG_20180803_082948.thumb.jpg.63db5a93d9dea685c60b21a3c40de19a.jpg

I personally dont make pillars or use paraffin wax atm.  But a very helpful piece of information that will help people to give suggestions on what might be causing this issue and how to potentially fix it would be if you could mention the type of paraffin wax you are using like IGI 4625 or IGI 1274 for example as well as what additives you are using.  Seeing as there are a ton of paraffin wax that can be used for pillars it is hard to know what the problem might be without knowing the exact wax being used.

• Thanks 1

Hi Chloe. The "cauliflower" effect is a natural part of some paraffin waxes. If you can find vybar or strearic available to you, you can add those to help eliminate that effect. 

Polycarbonite molds, like the one shown in the picture do tend to have a hard time unmolding. If you can find and use an aluminium mold, they will release much easier, and also if you ever decide to use fragrance, the fragrance will eventually ruin the poly mold. 

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Polycarb molds are their own beasts. I would contact the company you bought the wax from and find out what type of wax (other than pillar) is it? For instance, you should know if it has additives in it because if it already has vybar, you probably don't want to add more. If it doesn't, then do what Jcandleattic suggested. 

Did your polycarb mold come with instructions? If so, what'd they say? Is there a heat limitation to it? Paraffin wax at 100 degrees F is barely liquid, so double check your pouring temperature if you're talking Fahrenheit. If you're talking celsius then you are pouring way too hot, because 100 degrees c is equivalent to 212 degrees F. 

For a smooth surface you want to pour between 180-190 probably. But are you leaving to just harden on its own or do you water bath? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks scented! I will double check with the company, I think the wax contained additives but I will send my photos to them see if they have any suggestions. Now I know you guys talking about Fahrenheit, I poured in much higher temperature😂. I also thought I might pour too cold so I tried another time yesterday, poured in 125celsuis degree.still got the same result. Now I am thinking I might pour too hot. I will try another time later today. Thanks for your help!

9 hours ago, Chloe w said:

Thanks guys for the suggestion of pour in hotter temperature. Do you mean pour in 180 Celsius or Fahrenheit? I poured the wax in 100 celsius, is it still too cold?

They are suggesting pouting a 180 Fahrenheit. Pouting at 100 Celsius is to hot you need to pour more around 83-88 degrees  Celsius instead.