Centering the wick frustration..........

I could sure use some suggestions on centering my wicks.  I don't mean centering it in the bottom of the container, I've got that down pat.  My challenge is centering the wick after the wax is poured and I've attached my popsicle stick with the hole in it and clipped the wick in place.  I stand over the container and give my best guess as to whether it's in the center of the container and I'll be danged if 1 out of 4 is consistently off center a bit. I've tried those bow tie wick gizmos but they don't fit properly on my tumblers so the wick isn't centered.  Is this just me??  Am I being too type A??  :rolleyes:

Sometimes as my candles cool the shrinking wax pull wicks off center a bit. I use a skewer or super thin metal screwdriver to create a little channel to slide it back to center, heat gun and done.

I think that's what is happening even though I have them clipped inside the hole in the popsicle stick.  I'm going to try this so I can attempt to avoid purchasing yet another gadget.  Thank you so much :thumbsup2:

54 minutes ago, Tokoo said:

I use cloths pins, I tried the Popsicle sticks, and had the same issue, manly due to them not keeping tension on the wick itself.

this is my system; popsicle stick and hair clip to hold the wick straight....works well.  

IMG_4215.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Flicker said:

Bitter Creek sells a variety of them! Different sizes for different jars.

Thanks!  I found them on Palm Beach Candles and Supplies for a great price and cheap USPS shipping!  

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

These! They work terrific!

14498618_Fallcandlespoured.thumb.jpg.cb8f439b6b5ea5bbe7b4b1d2ecf11f71.jpg

Thanks!  I have seen these before but didn't get any because they aren't adjustable.  I ordered a couple to see if they will fit on my tumblers.  Hopefully they'll be my answer....:)

• Like 1

I use the standard wick bars but as the candles start to cool, I do check them and recenter as needed because the hardening of the wax can pull the wick off center.  I'm somewhat obsessive about this...I remove the wick bar, wiggle the wick around to ensure centering and then reattach the wick bar.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:03 PM, Pam W said:

I use the standard wick bars but as the candles start to cool, I do check them and recenter as needed because the hardening of the wax can pull the wick off center.  I'm somewhat obsessive about this...I remove the wick bar, wiggle the wick around to ensure centering and then reattach the wick bar.

Great idea---I will be diligent about watching those little suckers and not letting them stray :faint:

On 5/3/2018 at 6:18 PM, lightmyfire said:

Thanks!  I have seen these before but didn't get any because they aren't adjustable.  I ordered a couple to see if they will fit on my tumblers.  Hopefully they'll be my answer....:)

They come in different sizes for different jars. There are also little plastic adjusters you can put on them to make them fit snug around the jar. I have some I bought years ago so not sure where they sell them now. They look like little flexible plastic rings. They go on the ends of the cross pieces that hold the jar. YOu just slip an adjuster on each end and voile, you have a perfect fit! I rarely use them thou because the sizes the wick holders come in fit a wide variety of jars and don't need an adjustment.

Thanks!  I'll  have to see if I can find the adjusters.  I purchased the medium variety and they're too small for my 11 oz tumblers  😞    I might order the large but I might just have to stay with my popsicle stick and clip system and keep a closer eye on the movement after pouring.