Does anyone weigh their test candles?

In my line of work we are all about data, so notes and picture from my test burns are somewhat unsatisfying to me. After giving the matter some thought I realized I should be weighing each candle before and after each burn. From weight and time data I can calculate a burn rate. I can use the burn rate to verify my observations, but more importantly I could use it when testing with FO to know if wicking up or down is needed.  

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I weigh at the end of every hour. This one is currently burning 5 grams per hour steadily, Calculating to nearly a 40 hour candle at present. 

Looks like I need a new test sheet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I weight my test candle also. This way you know how much wax is consumed in what time frames. That way when consumers ask how long your candles burn, you have an answer instead of just a guess... 

I want my candles to burn for the shortest time possible so that I can make some more. I guess I'm going to have to start selling some eventually.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I want my candles to burn for the shortest time possible so that I can make some more. I guess I'm going to have to start selling some eventually.

For testing I understand this, but for selling I would prefer a longer lasting candle, because that's what the consumer wants. 

• Like 2

On April 24, 2018 at 3:55 PM, Forrest said:

Thats the way I felt about soap when I first started making it! I was like, "5 showers a day!" 😂

I really need to get more consistent with my testing, and record better data. I feel like I've gotten the basics down, and now it's time to get serious about product improvement. I like to work in baby steps! 

Thank you for the great questions and detailed answers about the testing process, this is exactly the next steps that I need to focus on!

• Like 1