Help wick testing IGI 6006!

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice for wicking IGI 6006. I am using 8 oz jelly jars, which are about 2.5". I have tried ECO, HTP, CD, and zinc wicks. I have settled on the ECO wicks as of right now and for most scents I have tested the ECO 2 seems to work the best. Sometimes it still seems a bit too large though and that I might need an ECO 1. I noticed these are generally for tea lights and votives though, so would they be way too small for this size jar? 

This is a picture of an ECO 2 with 6% FO (creme brulee from CS). This is the 5th burn, after about 2.5 hours. Is that too deep of a melt pool for only being lit for 2.5 hours? Also how hot is too hot for the jar to be? I can touch it under the melt pool but above it is too hot. Any advice is very much appreciated! I am getting so frustrated trying to get the right wick and everytime I think I have it figured out something else goes wrong!

IMG_7823.jpg

Not familiar with your wax.  Did your candle burn all the way to the edge on the first burn, and clean the glass?  This burn looks good, maybe a tad small melt pool for 2.5 hrs but less is better in those jars that narrow.  I consider it too hot if I can't touch the glass, if it's warm and I can pick it up without a problem then I feel ok with the temperature.  I've burned many a commercial candle that I couldn't even touch the glass let alone pick up the candle until it cooled off.

Edited by kandlekrazy

@littlehouse83 I feel your pain! I'm having kind of the opposite problem though. I can't seem to get a full melt pool (9oz straight sided jar.. a little over 2.5" diameter) and I'm having tunneling with each wick I've tried so far (a variety of sizes in CD and premier). So I'm curious.. did you have any wax hangup before this halfway point? Or has it melted cleaning the jar like that since your first burn?

I think your candle looks really nice though! That's about the amount of melt pool I'd love to achieve in 2.5 hours, but it is a little unfortunate that the glass is too hot to touch. It probably wouldn't hurt to try an Eco 1 just to see if it helps with that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. but I think the Eco 1 recommendation for a votive is probably more for pure soy than a parasoy. Eco 1 in that size jar with 6006 might be just right. :)

At 2.5 hrs that looks about perfect. You ideally want a melt pool that at 4 hours reaches between 1/4" but no more than 1/2" depth against the glass of melted wax. Don't measure the internal pool...just against the glass. I say you've got this!