My Third Pillar Candle

Hopie

Okay, so I poured another candle last night. I'm still awaiting a few molds to arrive, so I used the pyramid again. I scented this one in Creamy Vanilla for the test burn, since I like vanillas :)

IMG_20180410_155531.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks, Scented. I'm going to get two more molds any minute to play with, as well as several oils. I'm SO glad I found this forum, so many talented candle makers and great help and information within these pages! I'm still sifting through all of the candle gallery, and just drooling over all the beautiful creations! I SO appreciate the time and effort that all of you talented people take to post and help us newbies out, it's truly invaluable! :)

On 4/10/2018 at 4:05 PM, Hopie said:

Okay, so I poured another candle last night. I'm still awaiting a few molds to arrive, so I used the pyramid again. I scented this one in Creamy Vanilla for the test burn, since I like vanillas :)

IMG_20180410_155531.jpg

I agree that you have the technique down but to be sure you need to have your candle tested by an experience candle maker like ME...you have mastered the rustic, so all you need now is burning approval of another candler maker...............hint, hint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (sucking up to you for a freebie candle......lol)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are so funny! Gotta' love that! Our motor home is starting to smell like a lovely candle store :)  I was just continuing a test of two candles I made in soy, one needs a wick up, one needs a wick down. Thought I had the right one for both, guess not! I'm about to light one of the paraffins.....oh, my...which one to choose? Shall I flip a coin here? It's 99 degrees here today, so we're hibernating until the sun goes down to go lounge by the the pool/jacuzzi area. Snowbirds are leaving in droves, WHAT, can't stand the heat? :P

Being an AZ native, I fully understand the heat issue.  Ya know, I have never burned a soy candle......I' ve stayed away from them because they were too time consuming to produce..........

Considering the AZ heat, where do you go from here?

• Like 1

Yes, soy candles are a pain in the wazoo! I do love the scent throw, and it seems customers also love them. I haven't produced them for sale in a few years, been too busy with our clothing line and on the road a lot. I've just started messing with them again....which is a reminder why I SO love this paraffin! I just finished an order for some feathered palm wax, can't wait to play with it, I love the textures! :)

We have six more weeks here in Havasu, a lot of locals EXPECT us to hang around (so we do, sell a lot of our tie dye sundresses n' tops to them), yes, under the tents in 107 degree weather, LOL! We do a craft show on Hualapai Mountain the first Sunday of each summer month, and have lots of followers in Kingman. We'll probably head for Prescott right after that first Hualapai show (June 4). I'd prefer Williams, but the RV spots are horrendously expensive (about $1,000 per month!). So, we'll certainly take day trips to Williams, but the "docking fees" are too high.

Here is a picture of me last year, melting in the 100 degree heat in Prescott, LOL!

NEW 116.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pam W said:

PM me when you are in Prescott...that's doable for a day trip for hubby & I.  I am a 67 yr old AZ native so I totally understand the weather....lol

She meant to add and bring a candle ... she'll test it for you!!! FYI she'd be a good tester for you. 

• Haha 1

Oh, I'm sure she would be a great tester! My dear David just went to get my latest order for me, tons of oils, new wicks to test and two new molds. You all have to know what I'll be doing later today! :D

Yes, I am a lover of vanillas! Sadly, when I fire this one up, I think it's over wicked, just like the other one I lit yesterday. Back to the pyramid drawing board, lol! I'm glad you like our clothes, Sarah! A lot of vendor ladies come by early to get the first picks, lol! In summer, I LIVE in these, they're cool, comfy and colorful :) The day this was taken, I was absolutely melting out there, LOL! Why on earth did I have jeans on? I dunno'!

Thanks, Trappeur! Funny, our clothing collection has changed drastically since last year! I don't even have some of the ones I see in this picture! Maybe I'll post a new one when I can think to take one at a show. We worked our little butts off yesterday, put up 400 sq feet and never stopped moving upon opening until we tore down. Needless to say, I slept like a baby last night, lol!! 

Got a challenge for you:  next time you pour a pyramid candle, try doing a marble.  I'm guessing the method will be the same with soy as paraffin (?)

On 4/12/2018 at 11:51 AM, Scented said:

She meant to add and bring a candle ... she'll test it for you!!! FYI she'd be a good tester for you. 

You read my mind....hehehe.    But, of course, I'd have to bring one of mine to make it a fair trade.

1 hour ago, Pam W said:

Got a challenge for you:  next time you pour a pyramid candle, try doing a marble.  I'm guessing the method will be the same with soy as paraffin (?)

You read my mind....hehehe.    But, of course, I'd have to bring one of mine to make it a fair trade.

How do I do a marble? I've never done one. My past candle pouring were just soy jar candles. 

Ok, here is a brief tutorial......keeping in mind that I've two adult beverages.... and working on my 3rd....lol.

You heat your wax in the pour pot and add any FOs and/or additives...as if it's ready to pour...

then you take that pour pot and set in the sink filled with cool water....as the wax cools, you stir the wax and pay special attention to scraping the sides of the pot.......you keep this up until the wax becomes consistent with cottage cheese, then you remove from the water and add some liquid dyes...a drop here and there on the top of the wax,(a drop here and there on the top of the pour pot...3 or 4 drops)  then take a knife type instrument and GENTLY stir/swirl that color around..........GENTLY.  Keep this to a minimum.  Then pour into the mold..the wax will be cool so you'll need to bounce/bang the mold on the counter top to ''settle'' the wax so that you don't get air pockets.  Once all the wax has been poured into the mold, take your heat gun and heat up the sides of the mold (basically to eliminate any air pockets and give you a smooth surface )........then let that baby cool and de-mold several hours later.

There are pics in the gallery of this type of candle and I think there is info in the tutorial section.........but the trick to this is that when you add the dye, GENTLY swirl it before you make your pour or you will end up with a totally colored candle.

A marbled candle is fairly easy to make but it just takes time to cool that wax in prep for the final pour.

Hmm...I may just have to make one of these! I'm waiting for some new wicks to come in this week, so I can continue testing the pillars. Do these end up looking like tie dye? I loooooove tie dye :D

Wow! These DO look tie dye! :D  I just love this! When I get more stuff in the mail, I'll have to try this! It would look awesome on my tables and go with our other stuff in our booth! Thanks for a truly great idea! :rockon:  Rut-roh, I don't have any liquid dyes, only the wax blocks. Back to the ordering list......

Edited by Hopie
  • Like 1

There's another method you could try with your pyramid pillars too ... pulled from an HGTV segment years ago. 

Prep your mold as usual then pack it with wax chucks ... lots and lots and lots of chunks. 

Pour melted and should be hot wax into the mold. Add drops of color around the sides and allow each drop to filter its way around the chunks.

The thing to guard against is drops of color becoming too big. They will all pool at the tip and could make an ugly point. 

You can either 1) let cool on its own; 2) encourage a faster cool with a water bath; 3) place mold in what will be its water bath and slowly add water around the mold but you will need to avoid splashing it so that it does not get into your candle. 

On 4/24/2018 at 3:46 PM, Hopie said:

Rut-roh, I don't have any liquid dyes, only the wax blocks. Back to the ordering list......

That's solvable. Get something metal like there used to be a three cavity egg cooker (not sure the exact name) and put shavings of your dye block in it, melt it on low heat on the stove ... melt enough that if you used a skewer, chop stick it will release drops into your wax. 

Edited by Scented

4 hours ago, Scented said:

There's another method you could try with your pyramid pillars too ... pulled from an HGTV segment years ago. 

Prep your mold as usual then pack it with wax chucks ... lots and lots and lots of chunks. 

Pour melted and should be hot wax into the mold. Add drops of color around the sides and allow each drop to filter its way around the chunks.

The thing to guard against is drops of color becoming too big. They will all pool at the tip and could make an ugly point. 

You can either 1) let cool on its own; 2) encourage a faster cool with a water bath; 3) place mold in what will be its water bath and slowly add water around the mold but you will need to avoid splashing it so that it does not get into your candle. 

I use a toothpick for this ... using the dropper can add too much color but then it's all about what you're going for.........but then, you won't know what you are going for until you pour a test candle to get a visualization of how the dye spreads. 

Has anyone told you that this hobby is addicting???????

5 hours ago, Pam W said:

I use a toothpick for this ... using the dropper can add too much color but then it's all about what you're going for.........but then, you won't know what you are going for until you pour a test candle to get a visualization of how the dye spreads. 

Has anyone told you that this hobby is addicting???????

Well there are tons of techniques out there and endless possibilities when the imagination get's jump started. Just can't really use much with tin molds, because the can scratch pretty easily I was always told. However what about the drape method on a pyramid? Wonder if a dye chip was broken up and pieces were strategically placed and then the hot wax was poured. Wonder if it enough playing around would create some interesting looks. I should go looking for my pyramids!