Premier Wick Issues

I have been using Premier Wicks 700 series, for my first batch of candles, and I didn't get a single HT. I chalked it up to not enough FO since they were pure soy 464, and I had no clue what I was doing. I have since changed to parasoy, and I made a test candle, let it sit for a week, and tested it. Again no HT, with 8-9% FO this time. So instead of adding more FO and making another candle, I threw some into my tart warmer, low and behold the HT is a little to strong.

I have used 4 different size of wicks 760,765,767,770. I am using a 9oz hex jar, not sure if that could be the issue either. 

I am convinced these wicks are not that good, or I missing something. I mean 767 burns perfect, with little to no mushrooming, but they seem to not produce a hot throw at all. I wished I bought the ECO's first but live and learn I guess. Has anyone else had this issue with these wicks. 

I mainly use 770 Premiers in my pint canning jars with 464 at about 7.3%.   If you tried burning after one week, that could be your problem.  I wait 2 weeks.  I had to retest all my candles with the changes in soy and still had  problems wicking two fragrances with the Premiers. One  I found CD10s worked.  What fragrance oils did you try?  

Yes, I have gotten a good hot throw in a warmer, but no hot throw in a candle.  When that has happened,  I figure it is the wick.  If I can't get a Premier or a CD to work, I move on to another fragrance.  

GoldieMN

20 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

I mainly use 770 Premiers in my pint canning jars with 464 at about 7.3%.   If you tried burning after one week, that could be your problem.  I wait 2 weeks.  I had to retest all my candles with the changes in soy and still had  problems wicking two fragrances with the Premiers. One  I found CD10s worked.  What fragrance oils did you try?  

Yes, I have gotten a good hot throw in a warmer, but no hot throw in a candle.  When that has happened,  I figure it is the wick.  If I can't get a Premier or a CD to work, I move on to another fragrance.  

GoldieMN

I waited 2 weeks on the pure soy, only a week in parasoy. Forgot to add that actually. I used Fruitloops - FlamingCandle very strong. i also used ButtNaked, and Volcano Carbi - Aztec. I've heard CDs are suppose to be pretty good, might try those and ECO. I really like zinc ones but I don't think they be great for small jars. 

9 hours ago, smellywax said:

I haven't had luck with the premier series. 

Same here. 

If you can smell you wax and scent on a melter, the. You have figured out the wick is not hot enough to  candle scent and wax. 

The trick is to find the balance of a wick that can heat the wax enough to throw it, and consume the wax at the same rate to prevent too much of a melt pool. The bigger the melt pool, generally the lower the overall MP temp (have been taking temps using a digital thermometer for months trying to figure out a few new waxes...).

464 is difficult because for the last year it has melted very easily, meaning most people have had to wick down. This has resulted in  the imbalance of temp needed to throw that waxand FO. I would try ECO next. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Same here. 

If you can smell you wax and scent on a melter, the. You have figured out the wick is not hot enough to  candle scent and wax. 

The trick is to find the balance of a wick that can heat the wax enough to throw it, and consume the wax at the same rate to prevent too much of a melt pool. The bigger the melt pool, generally the lower the overall MP temp (have been taking temps using a digital thermometer for months trying to figure out a few new waxes...).

464 is difficult because for the last year it has melted very easily, meaning most people have had to wick down. This has resulted in  the imbalance of temp needed to throw that waxand FO. I would try ECO next. 

Thanks, I will give ECO wicks a go first, and go from there.