Hacked---AGAIN! Anyone else?

So you can use the remainder on the prepaid cards in stores? I thought it had to be a certain amount or a single card because each card results in an additional fee to the merchant? Well, now I know what to do with this stack.

I think I've seen some sort of reloadable prepaid card at Walmart. Might be more convenient than the disposables.

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kerven said:

So you can use the remainder on the prepaid cards in stores? I thought it had to be a certain amount or a single card because each card results in an additional fee to the merchant? Well, now I know what to do with this stack.

I think I've seen some sort of reloadable prepaid card at Walmart. Might be more convenient than the disposables.

Yes you can actually buy the ones that are definitely reloadable. These also come with a bank routing # & account #

They will only pay out if the money is on the card ,so do not leave any large amount in the card.

I use mine to purchase online ,

then with the change I just buy soda,bread etc...kwim.

The downfall I have is the cost to reload is  near $4. The one I have anyways . I try to only load the near amount of my online purchase & spend out the few dollars remaining .

It's alot better than getting your personal bank account hacked.

I learned my lesson the hard way .

It's only one supplier I have had the issue with & unfortunately this is one of my main suppliers .

It's prepaid for me or no way kwim.

On 8/23/2018 at 5:13 PM, kandlekrazy said:

We are the only business in our town that asks for an ID with a cc purchase.  That's how they get away with this Plus they get your info and make their own cards, some with their own name on it and all your #'s. so their ID matches.   We check to be sure the name on the receipt matches but I know most businesses don't.  IDK how the banks/cc companies can afford the fraud that they cover every year.  We are small peanuts compared to the big fraud that happens.

I'm not a fan of the prepaid cards but you're right it's about it may be the only safety net.  I guess you can go to the grocery store or pharmacy and use up the small amounts on them.  I've had customers pay with 3 gift cards just to use them up because of small balances on each one.

I know right ,such a shame . I am even scared to use PayPal now with this supplier .

If they can hack into our personal bank account ,who's to say they can't get into our PayPal account .

I have actually heard of PayPal accounts getting hacked years ago ,not so much lately . It's just a scary feeling & I cannot risk it any more . Its sad  that Aztecs has a open road to hackers . It's happened once to often to me ,as my bank has started to question me kwim.

It's just absolutely uncalled for . I know it will not happen to me ever again . I go prepaid for all my future transactions kwim .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

I know right ,such a shame . I am even scared to use PayPal now with this supplier .

If they can hack into our personal bank account ,who's to say they can't get into our PayPal account .

I have actually heard of PayPal accounts getting hacked years ago ,not so much lately . It's just a scary feeling & I cannot risk it any more . Its sad  that Aztecs has a open road to hackers . It's happened once to often to me ,as my bank has started to question me kwim.

It's just absolutely uncalled for . I know it will not happen to me ever again . I go prepaid for all my future transactions kwim .

Paypal may seem to be safe....for the moment but we all know .... if there is a way someone will find it......I guess that is the negative of online purchases.

On my situation, between my bank and BB, all monies have been handled appropriately...no one lost anything except time and stress...kwim.  But I'm still baffled by the actions on my acct.......I can understand someone hacking my card to purchase items for themselves but in my case, the items were sent directly to my home.  So, I can't help but think that this was a glitch on the part of BB.  Like maybe someone at BB made a typo when processing an order and it pulled up my #........but then that brings up another question:  how did BB get that particular debit card number when I had never used it for online or in store purchases.

Oh well, the world of fraud is above my pay grade and I will be hesitant to purchase ANYTHING online unless with a prepaid card...of course with an understanding with my bank that if anything is charged to the pre-paid card over and above the purchase amt that it will be rejected totally.  I have seen where some prepaid cards allow for over drafting:

I worked for a marketing/research firm where all of our payroll was direct deposit (to bank accts or pre-paid cards) and there were times when an employees bank would allow charges to go thru on their pre-paid card when the funds were not available and when their next paycheck was deposited, the bank would suck it up for the amts of overdrafting.  So as far as pre-paid cards go, I am still hesitant to think that it is secure.

Maybe when I make a purchase for candle supplies, I should call the supplier directly to place the order...God forbid that I have to go back to the old way of doing things.......lol

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 9:01 AM, ellajoan said:

This is the 5th time in the last year that our credit card or debit card has been hacked.  We are certain it is happening from one of our Candle Suppliers, as we only used both the Credit and Debit Cards to order candle supplies from our business accounts.  I am beyond frustrated! 

I have contacted the company who we believe is the culprit (my guess is they have an unsecure website and don't realize it, OR they have a shady employee).  The first time they told me it was the Equifax leak (which was a LONG time ago), and the second time I got no response at all.  I am extra annoyed b/c I rely on this particular company for our lids--can't find them anywhere else.  Again, not certain it's them, but the process of elimination in our orders gives us a pretty good guess.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their info being hacked?  I am tired of hearing that hundreds or thousands of dollars have been spent on our account.  Any suggestions for how to handle this?  If yes, please PM me and let me know which candle company you used b/f the hack--maybe we can establish a pattern together.  

This happened to me twice... both from 2 of our candle suppliers. So yes, its a real concern. They all need to up their security game. At first I was getting a lot of bogus deflecting and passing the buck. And general customer service has no idea about security so they responses and attempts and trying to explain or mitigate fault was just hilarious. I still use one of them but cautiously with a single card that I watch a lot. I typically keep it locked until I need to use it just to be safe.

• Like 1

HOPEFULLY.............. our suppliers will realize that our accounts are being hacked and they will work with us to eliminate the threat.

Whether they do or don't, I will not leave myself and my bank account open to hackers.  If I want to place an order, I will call the supplier directly..........if this is a problem for the supplier then they will be eliminated from my supplier list.   I'm 68yrs old., living on SS income and refuse to be scammed by anyone.......................period.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 9:06 PM, wthomas57 said:

This happened to me twice... both from 2 of our candle suppliers. So yes, its a real concern. They all need to up their security game. At first I was getting a lot of bogus deflecting and passing the buck. And general customer service has no idea about security so they responses and attempts and trying to explain or mitigate fault was just hilarious. I still use one of them but cautiously with a single card that I watch a lot. I typically keep it locked until I need to use it just to be safe.

I had no idea the prepaids could lock .Do you mind sharing on how to do this ? This is great !

I use prepaid only for all orders now  & spend out the remaining balance to avoid any hacking kwim.

It would be nice to lock the card after each purchase .

It is frustrating having to pay $4 each time I load the $ to place my orders ,as I am afraid to keep any balance on the card between each use kwim.

I have only had a issue with hacking thru Aztec ,other suppliers have been fine .

I use prepaid with all suppliers now out of fear of getting hacked .

9 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

I had no idea the prepaids could lock .Do you mind sharing on how to do this ? This is great !

I use prepaid only for all orders now  & spend out the remaining balance to avoid any hacking kwim.

It would be nice to lock the card after each purchase .

It is frustrating having to pay $4 each time I load the $ to place my orders ,as I am afraid to keep any balance on the card between each use kwim.

I have only had a issue with hacking thru Aztec ,other suppliers have been fine .

I use prepaid with all suppliers now out of fear of getting hacked .

I don't use prepaids so not sure. I use a business credit card for my inventory and material purchases. 

And, by the way.. Aztec was one of the ones I had issue with as well. Which is a bummer because I like them.

42 minutes ago, Pam W said:

HOPEFULLY.............. our suppliers will realize that our accounts are being hacked and they will work with us to eliminate the threat.

Whether they do or don't, I will not leave myself and my bank account open to hackers.  If I want to place an order, I will call the supplier directly..........if this is a problem for the supplier then they will be eliminated from my supplier list.   I'm 68yrs old., living on SS income and refuse to be scammed by anyone.......................period.

I know exactly how you feel Pam ,as this situation is terrible . It has caused me a world of financial strain since being hacked more than once already . 

I am even scared to phone in my orders ,due to the supplier will be entering my debit # into the computer . I only use a prepaid card now & leave no money on the card to spare . I refuse to let the theives steal another penny from me ever . 

8 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

I don't use prepaids so not sure. I use a business credit card for my inventory and material purchases. 

And, by the way.. Aztec was one of the ones I had issue with as well. Which is a bummer because I like them.

Yes I use Aztec supplies alot & chose to continue business with them . I think alot of people would drop them as a supplier ,however I really love many of their products & lower cost shipping they offer now . It's prepaid for me from now on with any online purchase . I could  talk to the bank about locking a debit card as a alternative to avoid the load fees .

Thanks & I will look into this asap .