Candles w/dust covers instead of lids

Do you find that the scent lingers enough in them a few months after they have been poured? I am trying to decide if I want to ditch my lids and go with a cardboard dust cover.  Actually, in order to get into a retail store in the future I may have to as my lids arent the type you can simply just plop off and smell the candle.

Im just curious if you find that candles w/dust covers retain enough smell a few months after they have been made. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Are you talking about the plastic dust covers that snap on?

Trappeur

No Trap, more like the cardboard ones that just sit on top of the wax. I know you have seen them, just seems like those plastic ones are the new style, but I would use the cardboard/paperstock ones

Like these: https://normansprintery.com/candle-dust-covers/

Edited by Clear Black

Oh, I see!  That site is gorgeous Clear Black.   Love the dust covers!   I've been thinking about them myself too and wondered about about the scent fading and the oil of the wax seeping through the paper of the dust covers.  The plastic ones I mentioned are ugly and I don't care for them.

Trappeur

Hey Clear Black, what jars and lids are you using that you don't care for the lids?  Just curious.  You don't have to tell if you don't want to, will understand.

I was just browsing that site again and I really like them but for me I would all for the sheer purpose of not being able to afford to buy such quantity for x amount of pricing it just isn't practical for me as I have waaayyyy too many fragrances and it would cost a fortune.  I would use the company I've been using for years for a label for the face of the jar because I buy with super super pricing but I would be interested in getting these dust covers for the jars I have that don't have a lid but on the dust cover I would not list the scent name and then I could see where it would be cost effective..(I think)....Of course it would be much better to get the bigger quantities for such a little price difference.  Then it would work for me.  But I'm going to check out Zazzle and see if they can do the same thing.  Well I know they can, it's just the sizes they offer which isn't much.  Let us know if you do go with them.  I'd love to see the finished product.  Looks like a very classy company.  Thanks for sharing!

Trappeur

• Like 1

For retail, those really take a beating. People pry them up and don’t put them back right.

candles and supplies has these:

8AA40D9A-A6EE-4147-8392-BCB2344A1B84.jpeg

betting you could diy something like these very inexpensively with waxed Kraft cardstock, or waxed muslin fabric. 

• Like 1

Yep, that is true, they do take a beating with the public prying up the paper to smell the scent and then their fingers get into the wax with their fingernails and makes the product horrible looking.

I have ordered those kraft paper lids from Community Candle and they fly off the top of the jar very easily.  They do have the look that I like, and its ok...but...but...and they only have in 1 size.  I'll check out the ones at C&S.

Trappeur

@GailC posted a picture of a candle she made with the most adorable paper dust cover. She made the cover herself and the pattern complimented the fragrance of the candle.

I can't for the life of me remember what topic she posted it in, it was a few months ago, but maybe she'll see this and chime in! 🙂

It looked so nice, but didn't have the kind of branding that the covers you were looking at have.

• Like 1

You beat me to the punch Sarah!   I was just in fact going to say exactly what you said but I couldn't remember if it was Gail or Goldie......I always get them mixed up! Gail tells me that all the time! ha!  It must be the "G" letter!   I definitely remember her post and I even went to try and find it but couldn't last night.  Geesh, Gail maybe you could have a side business and do them?  They were beautiful!  I'll give you an order now! lol

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

@GailC posted a picture of a candle she made with the most adorable paper dust cover. She made the cover herself and the pattern complimented the fragrance of the candle.

I can't for the life of me remember what topic she posted it in, it was a few months ago, but maybe she'll see this and chime in! 🙂

It looked so nice, but didn't have the kind of branding that the covers you were looking at have.

I just used scrapbook paper and a punch to make my covers.  I don't know about the scent fading because to tell the truth, the scents I used sold so fast I didn't have a chance to see.  :)

How about pillar candles; does the scent fade in those?  I've never made pillar candles.  But I remember a 100 years ago or so, my mother-in-law would light a cranberry pillar candle at Christmas time, and it smelled strong every Christmas.  So there is my scientific evidence that the scent doesn't fade.  :)

10 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Hey Clear Black, what jars and lids are you using that you don't care for the lids?  Just curious.  You don't have to tell if you don't want to, will understand.

I was just browsing that site again and I really like them but for me I would all for the sheer purpose of not being able to afford to buy such quantity for x amount of pricing it just isn't practical for me as I have waaayyyy too many fragrances and it would cost a fortune.  I would use the company I've been using for years for a label for the face of the jar because I buy with super super pricing but I would be interested in getting these dust covers for the jars I have that don't have a lid but on the dust cover I would not list the scent name and then I could see where it would be cost effective..(I think)....Of course it would be much better to get the bigger quantities for such a little price difference.  Then it would work for me.  But I'm going to check out Zazzle and see if they can do the same thing.  Well I know they can, it's just the sizes they offer which isn't much.  Let us know if you do go with them.  I'd love to see the finished product.  Looks like a very classy company.  Thanks for sharing!

Trappeur

Hey Trap! I am currently in the process of packaging and shipping my last batch of candles off to a place that does professional product photography. I tried to do it myself with a light box, and lets just say I will leave the photo stuff to the photo people lol. That whole process will be a month or so til I get the photo files in hand and them if I can build up the courage I will share them here. Im a bit private, but more nervous of sharing my work as I am not a product designer by any means. Just because I think they look cute doesnt mean others will so I tend not to share most of anything *shrugs*  But when/if I do, I will make sure you are the first to know :)

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

For retail, those really take a beating. People pry them up and don’t put them back right.

candles and supplies has these:

8AA40D9A-A6EE-4147-8392-BCB2344A1B84.jpeg

betting you could diy something like these very inexpensively with waxed Kraft cardstock, or waxed muslin fabric. 

Yes, those are hella cute and would be a good idea if they would work with my container. Sadly they wouldnt. But maybe I can custom create my own like you said, hmmm

30 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Hey Trap! I am currently in the process of packaging and shipping my last batch of candles off to a place that does professional product photography. I tried to do it myself with a light box, and lets just say I will leave the photo stuff to the photo people lol. That whole process will be a month or so til I get the photo files in hand and them if I can build up the courage I will share them here. Im a bit private, but more nervous of sharing my work as I am not a product designer by any means. Just because I think they look cute doesnt mean others will so I tend not to share most of anything *shrugs*  But when/if I do, I will make sure you are the first to know :)

Oh no problem at all Clear Blackl......I quite understand....I hope we do get to see  them one day.  I know you've put all your time and energy into something you want to do proud and who wouldn't?  If you sent to a professional, you will probably get more than you could have imagined.   I wish you all the best.:thumbsup::)

Trappeur  

5 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Yes, those are hella cute and would be a good idea if they would work with my container. Sadly they wouldnt. But maybe I can custom create my own like you said, hmmm

We use that style but have our custom sized for our container. We go through a company called Nagel Paper, the lids are listed under speciality if you wanted to look into it.

• Like 1