Aroma bead freshners

Skk5233

Hi everyone! I make Aroma bead air freshners and I am having some issues that i hope You can help me with.  I get my beads from aromabeadsonline.com (or their sister company). I use Oils from Texas Candle Supply. I cure in glass or HDPE plastic containers and let cure and extra 5 to 7 days after the beads are dry.  I use Metal cookie cutters and bake at 325 for 6-8 minutes.  I package In cellophane bags. For some reason, they are not having a good throw AT ALL once they are in the car.  What am i doing Wrong???  They smell great IN the bag, but once you take them out, the scent is VERY light, if they smell at all...I am racking My brain and i cannot Figure it out. I hope You guys can help me! 

I don't know about the beads from aromabeadsonline.com.  I use the ones from BCN.  It could be the bead quality or maybe it is just the FOs you are using are stinkers.  I know not all FOs work the best in the beads.  Some throw and last forever and some don't.

• Like 1

Like @pcbrook, I have aroma beads from BCN, and those babies hold fragrance FOREVER for me. I've used oils from BCN, NG, RE and Nurture, and they are super strong. But they were really strong fragrances to begin with, so maybe that's the issue? How long does it take for your beads to soak up the oil? I use anywhere from 15-25% oil to bead weight, and it takes a couple days at least to soak all that up. Maybe you're not using enough oil?

Or, maybe after you sit in your car a few times you just can't smell it anymore. Sometimes I won't smell mine until the car warms up and the hot air starts moving through it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franu61 said:

I have used aroma beads online and had no problems. I use fo's from CS, NG and aztec.  The scents last a good long time.  I have not used fo from Texas candle...How much FO are you using?  Have you tried fo's from any other supplier?

I have used LS and just now ordered from Aztec.  I usually use a 4:1 ratio and I make a pound at a time.  If I use too much oil, would that cause them not to smell?

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

Like @pcbrook, I have aroma beads from BCN, and those babies hold fragrance FOREVER for me. I've used oils from BCN, NG, RE and Nurture, and they are super strong. But they were really strong fragrances to begin with, so maybe that's the issue? How long does it take for your beads to soak up the oil? I use anywhere from 15-25% oil to bead weight, and it takes a couple days at least to soak all that up. Maybe you're not using enough oil?

Or, maybe after you sit in your car a few times you just can't smell it anymore. Sometimes I won't smell mine until the car warms up and the hot air starts moving through it.

I can smell them when I directly smell the freshner but it is not throwing in the car.  I have also used Nature's Items FO and they are ok but nothing is lasting.  I let them soak and then cure for an additional 5 or so days...it is so frustrating because I cannot figure it out...maybe I just want them to last forever LOL

39 minutes ago, Skk5233 said:

How would I do that?  I thought cellophane was supposed to keep the scent in...

Are you using polypropylene or polyethylene bags?  Polypro is the best to use.  It might say on the box if you don't know for sure.

Are the FOs your using strong in other applications?  If not then they might not be the best for aroma beads.  

Polypro bags shouldn't be the culprit.  Honestly, the problem might just be that the FOs aren't strong enough.  I use BCN FOs mostly.  Spiced Cranberry, Vanilla Grapefruit and a couple others.  Love Spell from CS works good and Peak (Keystone) Midsummer Night is a good one too.  You just have to keep testing until you find something.  

Like I said before the stronger ones in other applications might be your best bet.

5 hours ago, Skk5233 said:

I have used LS and just now ordered from Aztec.  I usually use a 4:1 ratio and I make a pound at a time.  If I use too much oil, would that cause them not to smell?

That sounds about right.  I cant imagine that too much would make em not smell. Just wouldn't be able to absorb it all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 3:06 PM, Skk5233 said:

I'm having a problem with that too. I asked about this on their facebook page and they assured me that they smell but to my nose the last batch I made didn't smell as strong as before. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the beads. I'm going to order from BCN and compare even though they're higher in price and higher to ship. I may have just got a bad batch of beads because aroma beads online have great products. I also use Texas Candle Supply and have had no issues with their oils.