Sealing concrete containers

Hi!

I make these little concrete containers in various sizes and would like to start filling some with wax.  But I'm not sure what to use as a safe and effective sealant inside. Mod Podge?  Something else?  :confused:

IMG_6756.JPG

Edited by pughaus
add pic

I don't know of any sealant you could use for those containers.  When you are making them can you not put a glaze on the inside and bottom and then fire them so they would be able to accept wax?  For sure I know you couldn't pour wax into them as those pieces will be 1 big slimy waxy mess on the outside as concrete really sucks up the wax like a sponge.  Ask me how I know?   I love to use pottery for containers.  They are just so gorgeous and make such elegant candles.  Your pottery is beautiful.  The person who can give you the best suggestions would be Tall Tayle as she makes pottery.  I know she will see this thread and make her suggestions.

Trappeur

Hi Trappeur,

I wish I made pottery but I'm just pouring cement into molds here.  No glazing or firing. So far I only use these for planters, etc but now that I have wax and wicks I'd like to use them for more than holding succulents and pencils :)  

7 hours ago, Forrest said:

There are some concrete sealants you can get a Lowes or Home Depot you might try. 

I would worry about heat and an open flame with any sealant. Would it mix in with the melt pool if it gets hot enough? The whole thing just seems iffy to me, but admittedly I don't know much about concrete or sealants.

40 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

I would worry about heat and an open flame with any sealant. Would it mix in with the melt pool if it gets hot enough? The whole thing just seems iffy to me, but admittedly I don't know much about concrete or sealants.

there are so many concrete sealing choices- food safe and VOC free for kitchen countertops, special blends just for fireplaces...the options are daunting.  It's like picking a wick!
Then there are also concrete mix options of varying porosity..hmmm   :read:

4 hours ago, pughaus said:

there are so many concrete sealing choices- food safe and VOC free for kitchen countertops, special blends just for fireplaces...the options are daunting.  It's like picking a wick!
Then there are also concrete mix options of varying porosity..hmmm   :read:

If you drill a hole in the bottom it would make a nice flower pot:)

Look at the VOC free sealants used for chalk paint.  You just brush them on, some seal better than others, they are meant to keep moisture out so I think they might just do the trick.  Found the one I like best, it's called Toughcoat Sealer clear made by Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint.

Edited by kandlekrazy