Best place for Scents

Candle husband

Was just wondering if anyone has recommendations on best place to buy strong Scents we are new to this and have purchased most from candlewic... I have a few from lone star they were bought for us..I have my 1st craft show coming in a few months and need advise I'm hoping to find one distributor I'm happy with candlewic just like some input on where everyone else goes.

Thanks

Unfortunately, it's not wise to only have one supplier.  Several have gone out of business in the last year or so and has caused huge issues for those who put all their eggs in one basket so to speak.  

There are many reputable suppliers for fragrances. All will have hits and misses. 

Nature's Garden

Flaming Candle

Candle Science

Aztec

Maplestreet Candle

Wellington Fragrance

There are many others.  It's a matter of testing the fragrances in your products which unfortunately takes time.

• Like 1

I also use 

Fragrance Buddy

Lone Star

Texas Candle Supply-best leather!

Rustic Escentuals

Just Scent

Natures Gardens

Daystar

Indiana Candle Supply

The Candle Source

Cajun's

Backwoods

Candle Wic

Flaming

Candle Science

And I'm sure they're are more that I can't remember LOL!

You're going to find good and bad from all of these suppliers. What type of FO's are you looking for? 

If you'll go to the fragrance section of this site and look at the top, there's a link that you can click to see suppliers and their websites. 

I find that Bulk Apothecary and most recently in my ventures with Wholesale Supplies Plus, both have hella strong fragrance oils. I've also had some from Brambleberry that have been extremely strong. I recently tried their "pepperberry" FO, and it was so intensely strong and concentrated in the bottle that at first I was very disappointed and thought it reeked horribly. I went ahead and did the q-tip drydown test, anyway, and once it mellowed out very nicely, it smelled good, still super strong but not blow-my-eyebrows-off overpowering. 

Others have been hit or miss for me. I find a lot of Rustic Escentual FO's to be soft and to fade quickly or smell soapy when fading, for example, but there have been exceptions. For example, their "just peachy" FO is very strong and long-lasting, and actually smells wonderfully like juicy peaches. I also get the hit or miss thing from Nature's Garden. Some of their FO's have smelled nice but been super weak and fast fading for me, while some of them have been much stronger so that a little goes a long ways. 

I think some of it, too, might be telling in the transparency. For example RE/NG offer dilution guidelines and seem to care about product safety. I can't say the same for Bulk Apothecary, so also sometimes I weigh pros/cons differently depending on personal fragrance item vs home fragrance item.

Some types of FO in my own experience are notorious for being weak across the market, such as sandalwood FO, usually weak regardless of company, or you might get a very strong scent but that's a straight up juniper wood sort of smell, and is only labeled with a sandalwood name, so with some scent types I think it's worth it to blend your own from stronger and simple FO's. 

Edited by NaughtyNancy

Naughty Nancy just curious what is the Qtip test...

I've gotten most of.my scents from candle wic..I'm waiting on Scents to come in from candle science and save on Scents...I'm amazed at all the different places to go.

The strongest scent of gotten is the fresh cut roses I love it also the fruit loops scent I believe I got from VA candle supply.

I can't find a coffee scent to save my life. All the other scents I have received so far have been pretty disappointing I appreciate all the help

On 1/1/2018 at 5:45 PM, Candle husband said:

I have my 1st craft show coming in a few months and need advise I'm hoping to find one distributor I'm happy with candlewic just like some input on where everyone else goes.

Thanks

Do you mind if I ask how long you have been making candles?  I ask because you say you have your first craft show in a few months, and I want to be sure

that you feel you have done extensive testing before sending your candles out to the public.  Keep in mind that every single scent you use must be tested

for proper burn, to the end of the candle, for safetly reasons. 

Most here have tested for years before sending their burning, highly flammable product out to market. 

Also, don't forget to have your liability insurance in place before you do that craft show! 

I am not saying this to discourage you....I have been making candles and soap for years....and I still don't sell my stuff yet.  I give away soap, and on rare occassions

candles to family only at this time.

As far as buying fragrance, everyone else has covered the usual great spots :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Candle husband said:

Belinda I'm not to sure what I'm looking for.lol

I definitely need a good coffee scent...can't find one...I love fresh scents...floral scents and I need a nice summer and spring scent.

I love the coffee scents I've found from Just Scent, Aztec and Rustic. Also, Nature's Gardens has a great Snicker doodle latte, Aztec French vanilla latte, JS caramel cinnamon latte, coffee ice cream. ICS has some good coffee Fo's too. I like coffee with a bit of sweet and creamy in it LOL! 

I forgot to mention I use Whole sale supplies plus and Bulk that Nancy mentioned. It's an obsession! 

• Like 1

You will find hit and miss scents from every supplier you purchase from. I have found there is no such thing as a "1-stop-shop" when it comes to supplies for crafting (of any sort) 

Everyone has given all the places I would have suggested.

Good luck in your testing. Basically what @debratant has said covers most of what I was going to say. It does take time and effort, but if you are diligent enough, you might have a couple viable products in a couple months. There are so many variables however, that you may end up not being ready. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 8:29 PM, Candle husband said:

Naughty Nancy just curious what is the Qtip test...

I just take a clean cotton q-tip and rub it on the inside of the FO bottle opening to get some of the FO on the q-tip, and then see how the FO smells on the q-tip right away, 10 mins later, 30 mins later, 1 hour later, etc. This usually helps me to get a feel for how a FO might smell once toned down in a product, not concentrated and evaporating into the air, as opposed to concentrated in the bottle. Sometimes if I want to try to gauge how multiple FO's will smell mixed together, I put multiple q-tips from different FO's in a jar for like an hour and then give it a sniff. I can't say if this is the best method or not, it was just a suggestion I read somewhere many moons ago, and have been using it ever since, it works okay for me. I also do the whole sniffing-coffee beans thing between sampling new FO's, which was another tip I had read and started trying. 

• Like 2