Is there one supplier that generally give you a stronger hot/cold throw?

Tony

So, A friend of mine recently gave me a candle that she picked up on a recent trip to New Orleans. Right away I thought that the packaging was way over-the-top but I said let me  see what is inside. The candle had a very strong cold throw. It kind of reminded me of Jasmine.   I lit the candle and within 45 minutes  I could smell it in every room in my apartment. It was almost like I was burning incense.  I was pretty impressed. 

I have been making candles for about 10 years. I have used straight paraffin, so it blended, and straight story. I have never been able to get a strong cold throw from any of them.  Right now I’m using Clarus Stasis 3022 70/30 soy blend wax. Are use 1 ounce per pound of fragrance oil. I am using a 93 HTP work. Are used fragrances from Peak, Flaming Candle, SOS, Candle Science, and Southwest Candle.  I just started using flaming candle and so far have been very pleased with their fragrance oil’s. I get a really good cold and hot throw with their Mulled Cider and Chestnuts. For the most part most of my candles tonight have a very strong cold sent through. Have you noticed any particular suppliers that give you an awesome Cold and Hot scent throw?

I have been selling to coworkers and friends for the last five years or so, but I’m looking to start selling online. I really want to make strong scented candles with both a strong cold and hot scent throw. 

I agree with everyone, and what Belinda said about all suppliers having both good and bad is so true. There are so many reputable suppliers, and as others have mentioned NG is one of them,

Here are a couple more that haven't been mentioned: 

Aztec

Lonestar

Candles and Supplies

All have good fragrances for candlemaking. 

2 minutes ago, soshiegirl said:

Not to throw any more anvils into the fire but besides NG, you might want to check out AromaHaven/Rustic Escentuals, Daystar Candle Supplies and Candle Cocoon.  Tremendous throwers and worth every penny.

Thank you for the suggestions! I have never tried Candle Cocoon. RE has given me mixed results but have overall been pretty good. Daystar I have mixed feelings about. I have for the most part loved her oils but communication has been challenging. The other issue I have had is that most of the scents I used to love from there have been discontinued. 😔

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Thank you for the suggestions! I have never tried Candle Cocoon. RE has given me mixed results but have overall been pretty good. Daystar I have mixed feelings about. I have for the most part loved her oils but communication has been challenging. The other issue I have had is that most of the scents I used to love from there have been discontinued. 😔

I know when I've talked to Stacy she's told me that she's trying to get oils at a lower cost in order to give us lower prices (I think that's what she said). I'll have to go back and look at our messages. I did express to her that some were upset about her being out of stock on a lot of her oils. I know she's had to take care of her mom and dad a lot lately so maybe that's why she's not spending as much time in her business. I do love her oils though, or at least the ones I've tried have been really good.

Another supplier that you might want to try is CandleWic. They have good oils as well.  Oh, and Fragrance Buddy and Indiana Candle Supply and also The Candle Source. They all have some really good oils and then some duds. The good ones outweigh the bad though!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

I hear you about the discontinuations with Daystar; some of my faves were discontinued as well :(  Candle Cocoon has super strong oils and you might find you need to cut back on the amount you use or they can get stinky (scent warp).  Happy Shopping!

• Thanks 1

So many suggestions!  Looks like I’m going to be busy (and broke lol). I’m really looking forward to putting together a lineup of at least 10 solid fragrances before I try to start selling outside friends, coworkers, and family. Right now doing the holiday thing (aren’t we all), but after the holidays gonna really focus on finding some core fragrances. I am really trying to go with fragrances like the Feng Shui Elements, patchouli blends, vanillas, sandalwoods, and other earthy type blends. I also love scents like Bergamot and Tobacco or Green Tea for example. I have designed my logo already, now just gotta find the scents I like. 

7B88E7A1-A744-455F-BC89-E869152ACBB4.png

25 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I know she's had to take care of her mom and dad a lot lately so maybe that's why she's not spending as much time in her business. I do love her oils though, or at least the ones I've tried have been really good.

I know that can be difficult Belinda. I would definitely give her another try. I really did love her Green Tea dupe. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I know that can be difficult Belinda. I would definitely give her another try. I really did love her Green Tea dupe. 

Maybe message her on facebook. At least you can tell when she's read a message. Let her know you'd really like to see certain oils back in stock etc. Stacy's really nice or at least when I've dealt with her she has been. Her store is only about 10 miles from me and her son goes to school where I work. 

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I would be in trouble lol. General Wax is about 10 minutes from me but I’m not a fan of their oils unfortunately. 

There for awhile I was about an hour from Bitter Creek South and 45 minutes from Houston Candle Supply, about 10 from Daystar and 20 or so from Texas Candle Supply. BCS and HCS both have closed down and the other two don't carry wax unfortunately. I'm about 3 hours from Lone Star and have been to their showroom but it's cheaper to pay for shipping with them. I guess it's a good thing I'm not close to NG, FB, JS, or any of those places! 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 5:46 PM, Belinda said:

There for awhile I was about an hour from Bitter Creek South and 45 minutes from Houston Candle Supply, about 10 from Daystar and 20 or so from Texas Candle Supply. BCS and HCS both have closed down and the other two don't carry wax unfortunately. I'm about 3 hours from Lone Star and have been to their showroom but it's cheaper to pay for shipping with them. I guess it's a good thing I'm not close to NG, FB, JS, or any of those places! 

I'm about 14 miles from NG,  22 miles  from WSP,  30 miles away from Bulk Apothecary , 140 miles from Just Scent and roughly 160 miles from TCS.   Although I've never been to the JS or TCS, I have ordered from Just Scent.  Becky is such an awesome person!   Anyways,  I love being this close to them but it can be a bad thing too!  😬💕

• Like 1

On 11/21/2017 at 1:35 PM, Tony said:

So many suggestions!  Looks like I’m going to be busy (and broke lol). I’m really looking forward to putting together a lineup of at least 10 solid fragrances before I try to start selling outside friends, coworkers, and family. Right now doing the holiday thing (aren’t we all), but after the holidays gonna really focus on finding some core fragrances. I am really trying to go with fragrances like the Feng Shui Elements, patchouli blends, vanillas, sandalwoods, and other earthy type blends. I also love scents like Bergamot and Tobacco or Green Tea for example. I have designed my logo already, now just gotta find the scents I like. 

7B88E7A1-A744-455F-BC89-E869152ACBB4.png

@Tony, love your logo.  So serene!  You might want to check out Adobe Soapworks for their Sandalwood Vanilla.  It's got a lot of depth and is very earthy.  TallTayl's Egyptian Dragon and Amber are just beautiful and would fit nicely into your lineup as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marleigha said:

I'm about 14 miles from NG,  22 miles  from WSP,  30 miles away from Bulk Apothecary , 140 miles from Just Scent and roughly 160 miles from TCS.   Although I've never been to the JS or TCS, I have ordered from Just Scent.  Becky is such an awesome person!   Anyways,  I love being this close to them but it can be a bad thing too!  😬💕

I hope you know we're all just green with envy! LOL! What I wouldn't give to be that close to those suppliers! I might not be able to pay any bills though which would be bad for sure LOL!

• Haha 2

@Belinda yes it's so fun sometimes but like you just mentioned.... It can definitely be money draining!  I get to smell them all without guessing what one may or may not smell like, but because of that I buy so much more. 😬  

It's got to the point to where I'm almost paranoid to order from other companies without first getting a referral that they are good from friends.  I guess it's made me kinda cheap.  😜  

4 hours ago, Marleigha said:

@Belinda yes it's so fun sometimes but like you just mentioned.... It can definitely be money draining!  I get to smell them all without guessing what one may or may not smell like, but because of that I buy so much more. 😬  

It's got to the point to where I'm almost paranoid to order from other companies without first getting a referral that they are good from friends.  I guess it's made me kinda cheap.  😜  

Not cheap, just cautious! I wish I'd been more cautious. I'd have WAY more money if I had LOL!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marleigha said:

14 miles from Nature's Garden!!  Oh I would be in heaven.  And would have to add on another room to my house to store everything.  I went there a few months ago, but got there too late to sniff all the FO's I had on my list.  They have so many it's overwhelming, but if I lived 14 miles away, I could go once a week and sniff a few at a time. :)  

• Like 1

@GailC Yes I've done that myself where I got there at 3:45 pm and wasn't able to smell all of what I wanted to.  But thinking about it now, sometimes I will have a list created of ones I want to smell and I get tunnel vision and start sniffing ones next to the ones I'm supposed to be smelling. 😂😂😂  Then you can also easily become nose blind.  

But I do like living close to them.  It can really become a bad thing if your a Fragrance Oil-a-holic like I am!  And they are just they're so accessible.  But it's also for this reason that I my FO supply is at least 50-60% NG.  I do also have quite a bit of WSP and have started collecting BA.  And I LOVE RE!  How far away from NG do you live Gail?  😇

7 hours ago, Marleigha said:

@GailC Yes I've done that myself where I got there at 3:45 pm and wasn't able to smell all of what I wanted to.  But thinking about it now, sometimes I will have a list created of ones I want to smell and I get tunnel vision and start sniffing ones next to the ones I'm supposed to be smelling. 😂😂😂  Then you can also easily become nose blind.  

But I do like living close to them.  It can really become a bad thing if your a Fragrance Oil-a-holic like I am!  And they are just they're so accessible.  But it's also for this reason that I my FO supply is at least 50-60% NG.  I do also have quite a bit of WSP and have started collecting BA.  And I LOVE RE!  How far away from NG do you live Gail?  😇

294 miles away, or 4 hours and 25 minutes.  :) 

A friend was having a get together, and he lives in Ohio, and I wasn't sure I was going.  He had moved but I thought he still lived close to Cincinnati.  When I looked up his address and found out he lived 45 minutes away from Nature's Garden, I suddenly decided that, yet, I DID want to go to his house!  :)  

My granddaughter and her little 2 year old daughter went with me, and she helped plan a whole fun weekend for us.  But we didn't get started soon enough, and it was 40 minutes till closing.  The nice lady there gave me a little extra time though.

I had a list typed up of about 125 FO's I wanted to sniff, but didn't get through them all.  Even smelling the coffee beans didn't help my sniffer after awhile.  My granddaughter picked up one that wasn't on my list and we both smelled it and loved it.  Coco Mango turned out to be the favorite of all I got that day. Which turned out to be only 6 news ones I think and I restocked 2 or 3.

I would love to go back sometime and stay in that picturesque little town of Wellington at a Bed & Breakfast there.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 6:24 AM, soshiegirl said:

, love your logo.  So serene!  You might want to check out Adobe Soapworks for their Sandalwood Vanilla.  It's got a lot of depth and is very earthy.  TallTayl's Egyptian Dragon and Amber are just beautiful and would fit nicely into your lineup as well.

Thank you!   I will definitely try them! 😊

Awww.... That's really awesome that you got a weekend trip with your grand daughter and her 2 year old.  Yes they are alway sooo nice at NG.  The first time I went I stayed over an.hour and 1/2.  They had closed at 4:00 that day but I didn't get out of there until like 4:35 pm.  

Ahh, cocoa mango huh?  What exactly do you get from that one?  Isn't it strange how we always end up liking really odd named ones that we never suspected that we would like?  😜