Flame too high

18 minutes ago, Greywicklane said:

What are some possible causes of the flame being too high? I understand it could mean the wick is too large but what are some other causes? Thank you!  

Im no expert...but I believe it could be a different series of wick too...Some burn a lot hotter than others.  The other thing I have noticed, and hopefully more experienced chandlers will chime in here...is the same series, lets say HTP from different suppliers do not perform the same!!  If someone could come up with the perfect formula to say "use this wax...this wick...this fragrance...heat to this temp...and so on..they would have unlimited customers....Im still looking..and trying!:huh:

• Like 1

Sorry! Lol. I am using soy golden wax 464 in 9oz glass jars with orange she blocks and I'm still super new to this so I'm not sure how to do fragrance load. I used the 1oz per pound method and weighed enough for the amount of wax I used to fill my 9oz jar. It didn't seem like much. Also I'm using ECO 10 wicks as recommended by Candle Science. I didn't think the wick was the issue before because I was having the opposite problem (flame too small and drowning out) and realized I was using either too much FO or dye. So I was used to having a too small flame and now it's too big! 

Sorry..I don't use 464..but i know all the Soy waxes have changed..I have tested Q210 from EcoSoya and am having trouble finding the right wick..and from what others are saying, the 464 has changed too.  Soy is just a mess right now... You might want to try the tip I just learned on this forum recently... Pour a jar without the wick....let it set for a day or so...use a skewer to create a "wick hole"...cut off the tab from your wick of choice...insert the wick..test it and if it doesn.t work..try the next size up or down...Or use a different series.  Works great.

• Like 2

Some fragrances can cause easier or more challenging burning. Pictures would help.

IME eco 10 in a narrow jar will be pretty hot in soy. As a point of comparison, an eco10 in an 8oz tin in my soy blend is used only for the. Last difficult fragrances to burn.

so circling back to your original question, if the flame of a properly trimmed wick is too high, then the wick is too big for that wax/FO/jar combo. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Greywicklane said:

Sorry! Lol. I am using soy golden wax 464 in 9oz glass jars ...

Although I'm not using Eco wicks, I am using GW464 wax and in my recent testing, got a much better burn and more stable flame with the slight addition of stearic acid, of which I'm adding 1-1/2 teaspoon for 9 ounces (currently pouring Libbey Status Jars).

• Like 2