Looking for Wick Advice/Suggestion for IGI 6006

MsRoni

I am a newbie and looking for some advise on wicks.  I have been reading and sure appreciate everything I have found here from everyone.  I am trying the IGI 6006 for the first time.  My first application will be straight up the IGI 6006 in the 8 oz candle tin (5 oz of wax) from Candle Science, 3 inch diameter tin.  My intention would be to use no dye or fragrance to test the burn and then once I get a good wick add in 6 or 7 % fragrance oil and color,  but I am open to any suggestions.  I also read that mixing the IGI 6006 w/Golden Wax 464 worked well for others so may try that down the road too.

I have cdn 10, eco 12 and eco 14 wicks now.  But I am open to suggestions. 

I have had some pretty good luck with the Golden Wax 464 and the eco 12 and 14 wicks but am I right to think that those are not a good fit for the 6006 ?

thank you in advance for the help

I will tell you that 3" diameter and larger gets tough to wick with 6006. Need a hotter wick, so zinc may not work for ya. That being said, tins get hot themselves and can really help the melt pool move along so that may bring zincs right back in as an option. You will definitely need to do some testing with this. I dont use any 3" tins myself. Sorry

Not to muddle things up but I have been using the tins for the GW 464 and have got some really good smooth tops and cold throw. I got a little bit of minor  frosting on a couple of colors only.   The hot throw is really pretty good on stronger scents but I was looking to increase that hot throw on some others.  I started out using the recommended CS 1 oz f/o per 1 lb  6% wax and ended up bumping to 9% on some f/o and even slightly more on a couple others.  I wicked those with eco 12 and  14's and curing them 2 weeks.    So my thought was either go to this 6006 wax, or mix this 6006 with the 464.  Anyway I think I will get the sample pack of the wicks you suggested to and start that testing process and see what we get. thanks again

I woudln't worry too much about frosting if you are using tins. But 6006 will get rid of frosting issues regardless. The benefit of mixing with 464 primarily would be lowering melt point a bit but other than that I dont think you would see much added benefit.  6006 works with most scents I have ever tried. And you can definitely use 6-8% with 6006. Do not need more than that.

I referred to some notes I've been collecting in regard to waxes and various wicks.  I have a note saved regarding this wax and the advice given was that people use a variety of wicks with this wax (6006), but zinc was the preferred wick by some.  I'm not sure if this helps or not, but thought I'd contribute it.  :)

There was a wonderful woman who was here like forever, her name was Old Glory (she just died this past year...) well we had many a conversation and I would like to tell you that she had quite a big account (a store) very well known that she made candles for.  She did tins and the flint jars that she bought from Aztec.  I always remember her saying this company wanted a candle but colored but they couldn't deal with the frosting so her ideal to go to wax for this was the 6006 as this wax took color beautiful she said.  Now in the soy collection she always used 464 and she did not color them as they frosted badly.  And she swore by Premier wicks.  

Trappeur

464 in tins you may find wicking down a size or two (maybe more) will improve your HT on lighter scents. Sounds weird, I know, but 464 has changed in the last year and burns much easier than earlier batches. I know an eco 12 in my 8oz tins with 464 (and 415 and C3) is much too big of a wick. 

You may want to try RRD wicks. Until a couple of months ago I was a die hard cd wick user. Then Moonshine got me to try RRD wicks and all of a sudden my candles are throwing madly again. They burn very steadily with a beautiful flame.

In reading about the RRD wicks a few months ago, I saw that they are coated with something to make them burn better, but I couldn't find out what the coating is, if it's a natural substance, for instance.  In one resource page, I saw that it's called "NST 2," but I can't find anything on that chemical when I do a search.  Any clues?

NST 2 is a basically a stearic acid treatment. Its supposed to help with heavier fragranced, or dyed, or densse waxes. However... personally I haven't used RRD without nst2 so I am not sure if it makes a lot of difference. One thing I do not like about RRD is that they have a lot of after glow and tend to smoke A LOT after being extinguished. The irony is.... nst2 treatment is supposed to help with that.... I have not experienced that benefit at all

I have used LX wicks with 6006 and have had success. The container I use is a bit larger than 3 inches in diameter. I tried zinc wicks in this wax and while it gave great HT, my containers got much too hot at the bottom. That's just my personal experience. I know several on here use zinc wicks in 6006 and make wonderful candles. 

I'd like to try to RRD wicks as well. 

The zinc wicks are nice because they are the coolest burning and are consistent. The problem is if customers are bad about trimming you can get some bad mushrooming. That, in turn, can lead to hotter big flames. But, otherwise they burn the coolest, especially compared to cd, eco, htp, premier, etc.

LX are ok... but generally gave my much more soot than zinc and mushrooming as well. But depends on jar and scent. Zincs dont work for me over 3". Not hot enough generally, so in bigger sizes I either double wicked or went with hotter wick like a cd, premier, rrd, etc.