shipping order

Mdavis

My little girl is selling candles to help raise money for her dog's cancer treatments, and some friends from college ordered some from her, I need to ship 4 of them to California from Indiana, they weigh about 12 oz each and are glass. I uploaded a picture of her at the farmers market selling the candles.

IMG_5950.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mdavis said:

My little girl is selling candles to help raise money for her dog's cancer treatments, and some friends from college ordered some from her, I need to ship 4 of them to California from Indiana, they weigh about 12 oz each and are glass. I uploaded a picture of her at the farmers market selling the candles.

That's great! 

I think those would fit nicely in one of the Priority Mail "cube" boxes (#4) they have available and you can print your labels online at USPS.com.  One way to cushion glass that works well is the use of egg cartons padding the inside of the box all around with some additional material to wedge the glass in the center where it's completely padded on all sides.

Lots of peanuts and bubble wrap. Pack (stuff) the box so that nothing rattles, feels, or sounds loose. Wrap the jars in bubble wrap and place them on a thick bed of peanuts. Then cover completely with more peanuts until the box is almost overstuffed. Works everytime for me. Never had any jars break.

Re regional rate boxes, they may or not be the best rate for shipping out of state or in your case several states over. I always check on the USPS website first to see if regional or regular flat rate is cheapest. Often, out of state will cost more for regional rate than regular flat rate. If you do pick regional rate you have to order the boxes online at USPS and either have USPS pick up or take to the post office to drop off.

I always print my postage out online at USPS.

Edited by Candybee

For glass, I would double box. Then pack the inner boxes safely inside the outer boxes shielded with 2" or more of durable packing material. 

To test if the glass wrappingis sufficient, Seal the box then  drop it from head height onto a concrete floor. Repeat two or three more times, then open the box and inspect. That approximates what the box will go thrOugh many times during transit. 

The post office will not pay pay insurance claims unless you follow their packing guidelines. They require double boxing with at least a 2" gap filled with sturdy material between the inner an outer boxes. 

Packing peanuts tend to shift around, leaving zero protection or inside items unless carefully placed. Some people use egg crates as insulation and cushion between inner and outer boxes. Which reminds me, the more insulation the better since those candles will be sitting on hot tarmacs at the airports.

I do exactly what Candybee does and have never in my years of shipping had a problem or a claim for a broken package. As long as the peanuts are packed tight enough, trust me, they are not going to move. At least as tight as I pack mine they never do.