fragrance flashpoint

I'm new to candle making and am trying to understand the flashpoint for fragrance oils. I understand that the flashpoint is the temperature at which the fragrance will ignite if met with an open flame. This might be a stupid questions but can this potentially cause a fire hazard within the candles?

Secondly, I've read varying accounts of when to add the fragrance oils. I've seen that the flashpoint doesn't matter when adding the fragrance to your wax but also that some people use it as a guideline for when to add their fragrance oils.

Lastly, in regards to shipping. I've seen that certain fragrances cannot be shipped via air because of their flashpoint. Does this apply to shipping finished candles?

• Like 1

On 8/19/2017 at 6:13 PM, schmee123 said:

I'm new to candle making and am trying to understand the flashpoint for fragrance oils. I understand that the flashpoint is the temperature at which the fragrance will ignite if met with an open flame. This might be a stupid questions but can this potentially cause a fire hazard within the candles?

Only if you are MAKING them near or around an open flame. And let's hope you aren't doing that. Also the candle itself will only be a hazard where fragrance is concerned if the candle is overscented and there is leaking fragrance out of the wax. 

Secondly, I've read varying accounts of when to add the fragrance oils. I've seen that the flashpoint doesn't matter when adding the fragrance to your wax but also that some people use it as a guideline for when to add their fragrance oils.

People who use FP as a guideline as to when to add scent do not understand what FP is. It literally has nothing to do with when or how you should add your fragrance. 

Lastly, in regards to shipping. I've seen that certain fragrances cannot be shipped via air because of their flashpoint. Does this apply to shipping finished candles?

No, once the candle is finished, there is no fear or danger of the fragrance igniting if the candle was made correctly and there is no free floating, or leaking fragrance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/19/2017 at 8:13 PM, schmee123 said:

Good questions, I'd like to know the answers as well.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:53 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Only if you are MAKING them near or around an open flame. And let's hope you aren't doing that. Also the candle itself will only be a hazard where fragrance is concerned if the candle is overscented and there is leaking fragrance out of the wax. 

People who use FP as a guideline as to when to add scent do not understand what FP is. It literally has nothing to do with when or how you should add your fragrance. 

No, once the candle is finished, there is no fear or danger of the fragrance igniting if the candle was made correctly and there is no free floating, or leaking fragrance. 

Awesome @Jcandleattic thanks for answering those questions. That all makes sense.

I love Nature's Garden but they have instructions to go by flashpoint. Ugh why are they doing that? It had me confused months ago. Also some  people on other forums are saying you have to go by flashpoint. I said no. I was told since I was new and they weren't I had no idea how wrong I was. They weren't mean but very serious about the flashpoint. I was so frustrated. 

Another thing that frustrates me is when people say curing is a myth ugh curing is not a myth. NG slso says joy wax needs no cure. How is that? 

6 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I love Nature's Garden but they have instructions to go by flashpoint. Ugh why are they doing that? It had me confused months ago. Also some  people on other forums are saying you have to go by flashpoint. I said no. I was told since I was new and they weren't I had no idea how wrong I was. They weren't mean but very serious about the flashpoint. I was so frustrated. 

Another thing that frustrates me is when people say curing is a myth ugh curing is not a myth. NG slso says joy wax needs no cure. How is that? 

Crazy, isn't it? 
It's also crazy when someone asks why such and such isn't working, and you try to pass along some hard earned knowledge, but they disregard what you say because it's not what they want to hear.  It used to frustrate me to no end, but now I just don't care.  People hear what they want to hear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bfroberts said:

Crazy, isn't it? 
It's also crazy when someone asks why such and such isn't working, and you try to pass along some hard earned knowledge, but they disregard what you say because it's not what they want to hear.  It used to frustrate me to no end, but now I just don't care.  People hear what they want to hear. 

It is crazy. I am not a pro yet lol but that's why I am reading as many posts on here as I can. But I even know some things and I've learned from all the great members here at Craftserver. I've told people to come here but was told no so now I don't tell anyone anymore. I learn new things daily on here. I am very thankful and blessed to have found this  great group of people. I don't always write. Not because I don't want to lol it is because I don't have nearly as much knowledge as a lot of people in here. I decided I do not want to make candles lol at all. I make melts and smelly jellies, Crystal Potpourri and aroma beads. I don't have any patience for candles but admire all of you who make them. Now I see why candles are so expensive lol but still won't buy them because I like melts better. I worry about my cat getting into the candle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

I am not a pro yet lol but that's why I am reading as many posts on here as I can. But I even know some things and I've learned from all the great members here at Craftserver. 

I learn new things daily on here. I am very thankful and blessed to have found this  great group of people.

I decided I do not want to make candles lol at all. I make melts and smelly jellies, Crystal Potpourri and aroma beads. I don't have any patience for candles but admire all of you who make them. Now I see why candles are so expensive lol but still won't buy them because I like melts better. I worry about my cat getting into the candle.

Hi @ShelleyF. I'm not a pro candle maker yet either but that is my goal. I know what you are saying, I feel the same way. I'm learning a lot of stuff on here too and I am also thankful and feel blessed to have found this wonderful online source. Don't know why it has taken me this long to find it, I needed this site 3 years ago. LOL. Better late than never & happy to be here. Congrats to you on fining your niche with the melts, jellies, etc. and what makes you happy to make. Go for it. 

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 3:08 PM, ShelleyF said:

I dont think think that curing is a myth, but I think people have different results. Some environments have different cure times. Different FOs have different cure needs. Also, some noses are more sensitive to smell than others and find their candles plenty strong just 1 day later. I know people who use my wax of choice and say they get different HT and different wicking actually after a couple weeks cure. But, not for me at all. I test every new scent/jar/wax/wick combo 2-3 days cure and then again at 2 or 3 weeks. Its always the same for me. I see WAY more vairance in the wax we receive from our suppliers that have an effect on our finished products much more than cure time does. That is scary. 

Anyway, thats just my experience. 

• Like 2