6006 breakdown - any known current issues

I know there is currently a post about a Lot of 6006 that seems to be having issues. Although after reading the post, doesn't seem to be an issue i am having.

However, lately my candles have needed to be wicked up a couple sizes on average. The ones using 6006 at least so far. Nothing else has changed.

First, as a 6006 user I should know this... but other than it being about a 70/30 parrafin/soy blend, does anyone know which soy and which parrafin is being used?

This info would be really helpful to know so that if one of those particular waxes is having issues or starts getting hard to find or discontonued (ahem like Ecosoyo Advanced did), 

that would be pretty important to know.

Also, anyone else have LOT# T1700447

Not sure if there is anything wrong or not, but thought I would ask. Its from CandleScience if that makes a difference

Thanks

Is your lot white? I was on the phone today about the issues that I posted about  a couple days ago and am waiting for some feedback. One of the companies I spoke with was Candlescience as that's where my "white" wax came from. As of today they've had zero complaints or comments and weren't aware of any of this. 

I do expect to hear back from them soon and will share what I find out when I do. I also contacted IGI. I broke down and made a candle with my new yellow wax  tonight so I'll see how it behaves for me, I add more soy to mine though. 

The rep at Candlescience said that they don't know much about the wax as far as percentages etc. They guess it's more soy because the way it behaves but IGI is pretty tight lipped about their formulation. I'll update as I hear more.

10 hours ago, KimmyPee said:

Is your lot white? I was on the phone today about the issues that I posted about  a couple days ago and am waiting for some feedback. One of the companies I spoke with was Candlescience as that's where my "white" wax came from. As of today they've had zero complaints or comments and weren't aware of any of this. 

I do expect to hear back from them soon and will share what I find out when I do. I also contacted IGI. I broke down and made a candle with my new yellow wax  tonight so I'll see how it behaves for me, I add more soy to mine though. 

The rep at Candlescience said that they don't know much about the wax as far as percentages etc. They guess it's more soy because the way it behaves but IGI is pretty tight lipped about their formulation. I'll update as I hear more.

Thanks for the response. My wax is white which is normal. However, it does have a bumpy texture to it. Not burning right either. something is wrong. I also talked to CandleScience and they "aren't aware of any issues". However, someone else made a comment there in the reviews within the past 24 hours saying roughly the same thing I did. 6006 has NEVER had burn or tunneling issues. Or even cosmetic issues. So something is wrong. That being said, Candle Science is also wrong in their response to you. Its not more soy than parrafin. Its mostly parrafin. I believe 70/30. Just not sure what type of parrafin and what type of soy. I am guessing a 464 type (which itself is having issues)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Candle Science is also wrong in their response to you. Its not more soy than parrafin. Its mostly parrafin

Now I'm questioning if she said it the other way around because I've always believed it to be more paraffin as well. Right now we don't know what it is. 

I did hear back from BA and basically they said they have nothing to compare it too as they're out of stock and do I want a return label. 

IGI responded back with this:

Our specs have not change and this product is within spec. I’ve attached the TIS along with the QC for this lot to this email.

I've responded back to try to get more info. 

Kim

I was also under the assumption after some reading that it is 70 paraffin 30 soy.  I've mentioned this before on another thread but my 6006 I am testing for melts is very yellow and has darkened even more as it sits.  It's very soft/greasy and I'm having a hard time believing the melt point on my particular slab.  Imho, I think the paraffin part is either their 4630 or 4627 since it's already in their lineup and the texture to me seems very similar.  I really hope nothing is wrong with mine because it would mean that all of my testing with it would be inaccurate.  I have heard so many good things about it but I've not been blown away with this wax even over a month cure so I tend to wonder.  Especially since I do love 4630 and if that's part of the blend, no doubt it should be stellar.  I hope you get a better response that would help us more.

I hope so too. I dont like 4630 as much as 6006.. not even close really. Same with 4627. But i think there have been a few bad lots. If yours is coming to you and already yellowish, that is a problem. Get it replaced. If its becoming yellow while sitting in your posession it couold be lights. UV can affect non colored wax too and discolor it. It happens. Just something to note,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

I hope so too. I dont like 4630 as much as 6006.. not even close really. Same with 4627. But i think there have been a few bad lots. If yours is coming to you and already yellowish, that is a problem. Get it replaced. If its becoming yellow while sitting in your posession it couold be lights. UV can affect non colored wax too and discolor it. It happens. Just something to note,

It was already yellow tinted when I received it and I've kept it in my wax closet or wax bin which is a dark cool place.  I'll contact BA.

• Like 1

I'm not saying its the greatest... sometimes can be difficult to wick. Every wax I've ever used has advantages and disadvantages. If your anal retentive and never satisfied like me... then you will never be completely happy. However,  I find less wrong with 6006 than the others... PLUS because its partially soy you can tell customers they are a soy blend which is great to hook both regular candle lovers who dont care and the ones who insist on soy for some bazaar misguided reason. I say that because it truly seems like soy is starting to tank ( as far as quality of pure soy candles). I like being able to sell to both markets/demands. All that being said, I don't think you beat the HT of 4627 comparing apples to apples and no other variables. But.. I also think 4627 is often overkill anyway. To me 6006 hits the spot. My customers love the HT without it being so strong it knocks you over and bothers your nose. Lol. Also... 6006 being partially soy last longer than straight parrafin customers are used to buying off the shelf. Again... selling a great candle that lost longer than normal. hard to beat. 

The hardest thing to get used to with 6006 is the MP is deceiving. It doesn't seem completely liquidy often... more like a slushy look and not as deep. But its actually a good thing. The throw is awesome, gets less hot than straight parrafin and last longer as I mentioned. 

• Like 1

My C3 has an oily feel and yellow tint too. Very yellow when melted.

the case of 415 I bought felt oily too when I opened it, but is drying somewhat now that the case is open and in the 23% humidity shop.

• Like 1

If 6006 is 70:30 paraffin to soy, what wick series is working best for you? 

I have been testing 70:30 C3 to 4630 with cd. The 4630 seems to help ease the burn, but the hot throw is still impeded by the soy. My candles smell nothing like they have for the last 5+ years

3 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Every wax I've ever used has advantages and disadvantages. If your anal retentive and never satisfied like me... then you will never be completely happy.

Both of these statements are true!

3 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

However,  I find less wrong with 6006 than the others... PLUS because its partially soy you can tell customers they are a soy blend which is great to hook both regular candle lovers who dont care and the ones who insist on soy for some bazaar misguided reason. I say that because it truly seems like soy is starting to tank ( as far as quality of pure soy candles). I like being able to sell to both markets/demands. All that being said, I don't think you beat the HT of 4627 comparing apples to apples and no other variables. But.. I also think 4627 is often overkill anyway. To me 6006 hits the spot. My customers love the HT without it being so strong it knocks you over and bothers your nose. Lol. Also... 6006 being partially soy last longer than straight parrafin customers are used to buying off the shelf. Again... selling a great candle that lost longer than normal. hard to beat. 

The hardest thing to get used to with 6006 is the MP is deceiving. It doesn't seem completely liquidy often... more like a slushy look and not as deep. But its actually a good thing. The throw is awesome, gets less hot than straight parrafin and last longer as I mentioned. 

Thank you so much, I definitely need to see if I can get a replacement or else I will not be satisfied or trust this batch as it sits right now.

33 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

If 6006 is 70:30 paraffin to soy, what wick series is working best for you? 

I have been testing 70:30 C3 to 4630 with cd. The 4630 seems to help ease the burn, but the hot throw is still impeded by the soy. My candles smell nothing like they have for the last 5+ years

This is the challenge issue I face sometimes with 6006. So I totally get it. There are several wicks that work in 6006 including CD, HTP, Zinc, LX, ECO, Premiers.

The most consistent good performer is zinc but has the drawback of quicker mushrooms and the wire which some people may bark at. 

CD works well for some of the harder to burn and heavier scents, but tend to soot more and end up mushrooming as much as zinc over time often.

HTP is my favorite as far as overall burn goes, but because its more flimsy and can lean, its not as good in smaller jars.

ECO is a lot like CD in this application for me, great self trimming characteriscs but like CD tends to soot too much for me in 6006. Not sure why. Too hot too usually

Premier and LX perform similar to zinc, more wick sizing choices, and have no wire core... but tend to soot more than zinc and burn a bit hotter.

So.... it REALLY depends on the fragrance for me. Fall back wick is zinc for sure as it does the job most the time. But, as I continue to try and "perfect" my candles, I find the other works better sometimes. Wicking as you know gets tough. Most people I know that use 6006 just stick with zinc and are happy with it. 

Regarding mixing in some 4630.. I actually do this on about a 1/3 of them. It doesn't help enough for me to warrant the extra work of blending. Plus, its just one more variable that can go wrong. So I am already starting to phase it of those candles and probably go back to just 6006. I actually like the blend of 6006/464 better than with 6006/4630. But I hate the extra cure time and adding more soy worries me at this point so I ditched that completely already. For now, Ill keep with just 6006 until I find something better. Also,  I dont get any extra HT out of 4630 than I do 6006 really... maybe on a few scents, but thats it. 4627 does offer a bit more though. But as I said.... didn't feel it was necessary. 

Edited by wthomas57

33 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

Both of these statements are true!

Thank you so much, I definitely need to see if I can get a replacement or else I will not be satisfied or trust this batch as it sits right now.

I am starting not to trust any lot of any wax. :/

I know this doesn't help much but 6006 is supposed to be very similar to Clarus 3020 I believe which is more paraffin but who knows what type of soy 

my 415 cases from this years lots is white, it did feel damp and is drying out but the throw is just not there - even with 4630 blended 

I emailed golden wax/aaksoy and still have yet to get a reply - I should contact CS as well maybe if enough voices are complaining we will at least get answers ?‍♀️

And I have to wick down or add stearics to slow the burn and I'm not even happy with those results so far 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

I agree... the more complaints/concerns voiced the better.

There is definitely soy issues right now. Heck, its probably why NGI's new line of eco waxes kept getting pushed back. I bet they were running into issues as well.

And yes, Clarus 3020 is similar to 6006. And I like Brad from Clarus... the issue for me is the cost and shipping. Its just too expensive. To me the performance was about the same.

It is expensive and I almost made the leap but chickened out 

I wonder if they are having issues as well....

I don't use NGI wax anymore- is the reformulated ones available yet and are there huge differences there as well? 

People that use this wax has it just not been made available to them for awhile? I haven't followed it much and I had decided to ditch using PB in my melts after I use up what I have when I heard about the reformulating

The new waxes are not available yet... supposedly soon. I guess samples have been sent to distributors.

I am just concnerned that NGI suddenly pulled the plug on their wax before so what is to stop them from doing it again.

Has soy candle makers frustrated and nervous going forward. Ill try it because i cant help myself (its a problem). But I dont have much trust right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I poured a C-3 4630 blended at 85/15 last weekend to test the difference in what's usually a great fragrance in my c3 alone but doesn't seem to have the same umph. I'm curious to see your results. I did receive my new case of C3 but I've not opened it yet, the case I'm finishing up was white and normal to what I've always received so we will see, I almost don't want to know....

Kim