6006 breakdown - any known current issues

Just to chime in here, recently ordered two 10lb slabs of 6006 from Candlescience. There was no batch number on the wax or the packing list so I cannot tell you what batch its from. What I can tell you is that it arrived at my door looking this same yellow tint as everyone else says. Not even close to being the typical white I see with other waxes. 

Should I call them and ask about a return?

I called BA earlier and they stated they have not had any complaints.  They are having me send a photo and control number on the slab to their sales department to see if they can investigate it further.  I'm still in testing phases so I have only had one slab, nothing else to compare to see if it is normally like that.

Well I was going to order from candle science to compare since another poster on here definitely has a difference from BA vs candle science (candle science looked better), but after reading that you ordered from them with the same result...I am assuming it's "normal" or something is up with IGI.  There are a couple of others I have spoken with on here that states there is slightly more yellow than say 4630 and their performance isn't compromised.  However, I am not impressed at all with this wax. I just want to be sure that I am giving it an accurate review based on if it is defective or not.

Edited by lovelyscents

Here is what I left with EAP re:my C3

"The last several cases of C3 are not performing like they used to. The wax feels oily and has a yellow tint. Hot throw is barely existent in a burning candle. The same candle wax&FO will throw in a melter, something has changed in the way it burns. 

I have had to wick up several sizes just to get the wax to burn properly. Nothing in my setup has changed in the past 7 years except the lot numbers of C3 wax. I buy wick assemblies by the thousands, and have eliminated the wicks as the variable. 

cold throw is fine, it is the hot throw that is greatly diminished.  Have test burned more than 50  unscented candles with different wicks and wick series publishing the results to other chandlers.  This is my busiest season of the year, so I have resorted to adding paraffin to salvage the season, but the throw just is not there any more. 

Have begun to experiment with other brands of soy wax, but all seem to be having issues. 

Have contacted Cargill directly and was told the retailer must have handled the wax improperly. I don't blame EAP, I think the wax is just very different in recent lots. Am worried for the future of my candle business. "

• Like 2

I really hope a resolution is to come as so many use their businesses to feed their families and take care of things.  I thought about sticking with paraffin for melts to avoid soy inconsistencies but I hear this happens with every wax, so there is no escape.  I guess if we all keep purchasing with no voice when things aren't right, the suppliers just keep making their money and go on about packing orders.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

Just to chime in here, recently ordered two 10lb slabs of 6006 from Candlescience. There was no batch number on the wax or the packing list so I cannot tell you what batch its from. What I can tell you is that it arrived at my door looking this same yellow tint as everyone else says. Not even close to being the typical white I see with other waxes. 

Should I call them and ask about a return?

Possibly, but Id test first first and see if wicking is ok. Some discoloration can be normal and doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. However, because so many people are having issues right now... I would test asap.

Mine haven't been yellow at all.. just not burning the same.

• Like 2

IGI sent me this back in response to me asking if it's normal then why is it yellow..

"Sorry Kim, I’m not aware of any issues. The product is within spec, even if it’s in the lower colour range."

A color range? Wouldn't you be able to articulate what causes differences in color if there's a color range? She also suggesting contacting my supplier if I'm not happy with the product. CS doesn't feel that it's a widespread issue so I'm not sure what else to do. I'll wait and see how it tests I guess. 

52 minutes ago, lovelyscents said:

I called BA earlier and they stated they have not had any complaints.  They are having me send a photo and control number on the slab to their sales department to see if they can investigate it further.  I'm still in testing phases so I have only had one slab, nothing else to compare to see if it is normally like that.

I am sure this may not be a popular opinion, but I dont ike using BA myself. Never been as helpful as other companies like CS or NG. And Id be surprised if they haven't had any other complaints. Candle Science got back to me right away, apologized and sent me a replacement case jut based off the description I gave them. Granted, I am a heavy bulk spender with them. Lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KimmyPee said:

IGI sent me this back in response to me asking if it's normal then why is it yellow..

"Sorry Kim, I’m not aware of any issues. The product is within spec, even if it’s in the lower colour range."

A color range? Wouldn't you be able to articulate what causes differences in color if there's a color range? She also suggesting contacting my supplier if I'm not happy with the product. CS doesn't feel that it's a widespread issue so I'm not sure what else to do. I'll wait and see how it tests I guess. 

Ugh:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, wthomas57 said:

Some discoloration can be normal and doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong.

I thought the same especially since sometimes soy naturally appears more off white to me and not everything is consistent to a T each batch I am sure.

1 hour ago, wthomas57 said:

However, because so many people are having issues right now... I would test asap.

This is the only reason I questioned my coloring and batch.

6 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Possibly, but Id test first first and see if wicking is ok. Some discoloration can be normal and doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. However, because so many people are having issues right now... I would test asap.

Mine haven't been yellow at all.. just not burning the same.

Just poured 4 cans of testers. Will be testing CD-14, 16, 18 & 20. I read your review on Cs's site for 6006, well, at least I think "WT" is you lol. By reading some of those reviews I am anxious to see how these test with just straight 6006, no FO. Going back to basic and then from there.

I will also be keeping a keen eye on the tunneling issue so many are reporting from that review section of CS. I cant tell if its just random newbie errors they are having or actual issues with the wax.

Wish me luck :D

• Like 3

With all the issues going on right now, I am probably cutting back on much blending of waxes. I want to keep it more simple.. less variables until things improve again.

Its too hard to constantly be battling issues with so many variables. The less going on, the easier it is to find a problem and find an alternative ya know.

• Like 1

Wait a minute, @KimmyPee wrote on Tuesday that Candlescience said they had no complaints.  @wthomas57 contacted Candlescience and they took care of his complaint, @Moonshine contacted Candlescience, today, and was told they had no complaints.  How many of you have contacted Candlescience and were told "no other complaints"?   No one will get to the bottom of this unless these companies you bought your wax from as well as the manufacturer/producer are told customers need answers.  THEY need to figure this out so we don't go through this over and over again.

Goldie

• Like 3

To provide a little clarification.... CandleScience told me they hadn't received any complaints about the lot numbers I mentioned. After I posted a comment, then a couple more complaints came in I believe. Candle Science did apologize and is sending me a free replacement case and contacting IGI as well. So far, they have been the ONLY ones I feel who have done anything positive. Know what I mean? Not saying that cant do more... but I think the issue right now is the manufactures and not wanting to fess up that there are major issues with soy right now which also affects blends that include soy.  

But I totally agree.... THEY need to figure it out for THEIR customers. Simple as that. They all do.

13 hours ago, lovelyscents said:

Every time I have ever called a supplier (mostly RE) they give that same bull...."no other complaints."  

• Like 2