Question about giving out freebies???

mindy5140

My friend wants to give a coworker one of my candles for her anniversary (lick me all over) go figure. I'm giving it to her free. Because I haven't sold a candle yet, I'm done testing the type of jar that she wants to give to her.

100% satisfied with the testing that I have done on it.

Anyways My question is, would you also give the person a freebie, like a tart of a different fragrance to sample or something like that. Or a free refill or am I being to generous.

TIA,

Mindy :)

When you've been doing something as a hobby and then switch over to being a business, it's sometimes hard to mentally switch gears. You have to remember WHY you are giving a freebie.

• Is it a sample to a potential good customer who may give you business in the future?
  • Will it function as an advertisement (donating a candle center piece to public function, or as an auction item for a non-profit fundraiser)
  • Is it a 'thank you gift' for a current customer? (like a free votive or tart)
  • I gave two tealights in a pretty container to 10 people in my office for Christmas---and got $150 in sales from them on my website.

Those (and others) are good reasons for freebies. But friends also have trouble mentally shifting to you being in business, so they may ask without even thinking. If you are giving it to them so they don't have to buy someone else a present, personally, I'd talk to them first. Most of us are nice people with good friends and once we point out that its now a business, they understand.

You just have to decide why you are giving it to them. Because you don't want to say 'no' and possibly hurt the friendship? That's a decision you have to make based on how important the friendship is to you and how comfortable you are with telling people no.

All I can say is that my life has gotten a lot easier since I learned to set limits on my friends' (and family!) expectations for me. It was hard at first, but if I didn't, I'd be giving away the whole business!

Nina

I'm definitly not ready to start a business yet. But like I have posted several times, I have several testers and my friend is one of them. At first I was going to charge her for it but the candle only comes out to $1.50 to make and thats everything. Jar, lid, wax, wick, FO, labels, and decorative tie.

She has been the best observer, and has been up front with all of my candles, if they suck she has told me. So I feel like I owe her for some odd reason. The person she is giving the candle to is a candle fanatic, loves them.

I'm just wondering how I can get this woman to come back for more other than just my candle. Should I also give her a list of Fragrances I have tested?

Do you think it would be stupid just to start selling the 8 oz jars or do you think I should wait it out till I perfect other types of candles??

I do have a perfect name for my candle business but have been waiting till I had enough types of candles to file for it.

Thanks to all that have posted, I really appreciate it.

This board is awesome, I learn something new everyday.

Mindy :yay:

Oh my Goodness, the lady loved the candle, and so did alot of other people.

My friend put up the list of fragrances,

I have 10 orders for 8oz jar candles, and 2 orders for orneries-I know I spelled that wrong.

I am sooooo excited. I also had a lady ask me if I could make up tart bags for her daughters babyshower, she wants them pink and white babypowder fragrance. She wants 4 in each bag, and wants 40 bags . :yay:

YAY for me,

Mindy :yay:

If you are comfortable with your 8oz. start selling. You have to start somewhere. I started with a 4oz. and 8oz. I am discontinueing the 4 oz. Not enough profit. I am now doing 8 and 16, votives and tarts but will add to my line as I can. I want to do pillars and some b & b. Votives and tarts don't sell well around here.

Well on my list of Fragrances I put 8oz jar, Tarts, and ornerys down. I have tested the 4 oz but can't find my notes and totaly forget what wick and everything so I would have to test those over again.

I want to move onto bigger things but still have to test test test what I'm doing now which is 16 oz jars.

Which has been a nightmare since I started testing them.

Thank you for all of the support that everybody has given me,

Good Night,

Mindy :)

I definately would include a note or brochure with the scents you have tested and a price. Also make sure you include your phone number or email address. This way if she really likes your candles she can contact you direct. Or if you are comfortable with the idea, let your friend make contacts for you, and let her continue to get her candles free or at cost.... this way its a win win for both of you.... Just my 2 cents.:)