Higher longer lasting throw with more FO?

lovelyscents

Good evening all,

I have been testing melts for some time now with several different waxes.  Each wax individually (to get to know each wax) and in several blend combinations.  I am taking very precise notes (CT, appearance, HT, longevity, time it takes to melt etc. on a scale of low/med/high).  I wanted to get opinions from all the experts doing this for years so I know if it is just me or if anyone else is finding the same results over time.  When referring back to my notes, I see that the more FO in melts (for example 10% vs 6%) = higher throw and longer lasting.  Upon looking at this board high and low through years of posts, everyone states that using more than 6% is a waste.  However, I am not finding this for some reason and I am testing the 6% vs 10% in 415, 464, 4625, 4630 and the granular pre-blend wax.  I have used tons of FOs as well, reputable ones mentioned on here and I do know now that I am doing things at the correct temperature since the higher FO % melts are throwing much better.  I am also noticing many people recommending to find a wax that is cheapest to purchase with shipping and make it work.  I have found that almost all of these waxes I have been testing do perform fairly well if the oil is good.  Therefore, I can see where some would recommend making one wax work in my opinion.  However, I am the type of person that like things as good as they can be and know there are fairly better waxes over others, or else we all would use the same one.  I see alot of vendors lately getting decent reviews on their wax, but have noticed all of those vendors (excluding one) do several FOs in one blend.  I wonder if it is because they're mixing several FOs vs 1, seems it would make the overall melt better since you would hopefully get 1 out of those 3-4 FOs in that single melt to perform well.  Maybe 6% works better in candles vs melts?  I may be overthinking this??

Edit to add:  I know about candle nose and I have left the house several times and tested melts in other households of my family members to avoid getting "immune".  I also know soft waxes vs pillar/votive waxes in terms of what is "supposed" to help with longevity.

Edited by lovelyscents

You are talking about melts which is much different when it comes to candles. More FO is not always your best bet when it comes to candles. The average is 6-8% depending on your wax, i.e., soy vs paraffin or palm, etc. Often too much FO can clog a wick, cause large flames, and produce unwanted soot. It can also cause the masking of subtle notes in the fragrance so you don't get the full scent.

When making melts you have an option to use more FO. Assuming you can load more into the wax. All waxes have a maximum fragrance load capacity so eventually you can end up with greasy melts if you overdo it.

The other part of the equation is when you are running a business. To stay in business you of course want to produce the best product you can without wasting money. Getting that equation right can be the difference between a booming business or one that goes bust or bankrupt.

Re melts, for personal use, this probably does not matter much to the individual. However, my testing different FO loads in my melts I found that using too much caused oily melts that would leave packaging and handling them a problem. This would also be a problem if you are selling melts. Nothing turns a customer off like greasy melts and soiled packaging.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3

Helpful information, thank you CandyBee!  Years ago when I was making melts for myself and did not know much about them or anything about this forum, I definitely overloaded as I had wet / greasy 464 chunks.  I quickly learned about FO overload after that *shudder*

Agree that the wax dictates the limit.

I speak only of melts-NOT candles when I say that I do not follow the "anything more than 6% is a waste" nor the "find the wax cheapest or easiest to get and make it work" theories.

My testing proved these theories not to be optimum for me when it comes to melts. 

In all of the testing I did, percentage of oil mattered and I got different performance results wax blend over wax blend. Even testing to the point of 10% more of one wax over another in a 2-wax blend netted a difference in results for me and my testers-who, of course, were testing not knowing anything about the wax blend makeup of the melts they were supplied to test. They only reported back results on Apple Pie A and Apple Pie B (as example) as test melts were labeled as such.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2017 at 6:28 AM, justajesuschick said:

Agree that the wax dictates the limit.

I speak only of melts-NOT candles when I say that I do not follow the "anything more than 6% is a waste" nor the "find the wax cheapest or easiest to get and make it work" theories.

My testing proved these theories not to be optimum for me when it comes to melts. 

In all of the testing I did, percentage of oil mattered and I got different performance results wax blend over wax blend. Even testing to the point of 10% more of one wax over another in a 2-wax blend netted a difference in results for me and my testers-who, of course, were testing not knowing anything about the wax blend makeup of the melts they were supplied to test. They only reported back results on Apple Pie A and Apple Pie B (as example) as test melts were labeled as such.

Well I definitely am finding the oil percentage to perform different results, but am not quite there yet on noticing the difference between waxes while using a good FO.  I understand sometimes using a pillar vs container wax may carry the oil a little longer but it's very close depending on the wax in my testing.  For example, Tennessee PPW throws very strong and long in all four of the waxes I've tried including 464, 415, 4625, 4630.  I've tested it at family members homes and my own while leaving in between to avoid candle nose.  I do see differences in the appearance etc., but feel these are all very good waxes, so it's hard at this point in time to differentiate.  I will not stop testing, but I give credit to all of these particular waxes.  It makes me feel like the actual real test would be using a known lighter oil and see which wax throws it better vs a good oil that throws well in most waxes??

You are finding the same results in terms of longevity as well? That is where I noticed a difference. When I found a blend that threw the scent the strongest AND longest is when I knew that I could stop looking. Testers reported the same back in terms of longevity of scent in my final 2 blends. Ultimately, 1 won out.

I chose 2 scents which I knew were strong and I alternated them as I tested. A spice scent and a clean scent as an example. That way I tested the spice scent on Monday, clean scent on Tuesday, same spice scent, different wax blend on Wednesday and so on. I was not smelling lingering scent from the previous day's test as I evaluated.

I used the same warmer on the same room for testing. That way I was eliminating that as a variable. 

I have use the same wax blend (my own blend of 2 waxes) for years now and am glad that element of my wax making is done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, justajesuschick said:

You are finding the same results in terms of longevity as well? That is where I noticed a difference.

Honestly yes, but I was trying to stick with 2 good oils to try and test like you recommended.  I have more curing right now to try additional oils, but maybe I'm giving more credit to certain waxes than are due or I'm just really bad at noticing the difference.  Which is not good, especially if looking to offer to the world someday.

When I found a blend that threw the scent the strongest AND longest is when I knew that I could stop looking. Testers reported the same back in terms of longevity of scent in my final 2 blends. Ultimately, 1 won out.

I chose 2 scents which I knew were strong and I alternated them as I tested. A spice scent and a clean scent as an example. That way I tested the spice scent on Monday, clean scent on Tuesday, same spice scent, different wax blend on Wednesday and so on. I was not smelling lingering scent from the previous day's test as I evaluated.

I used the same warmer on the same room for testing. That way I was eliminating that as a variable. 

I am also using the same 2 warmers using half ounce in each, is this my problem?  Should I just be using the whole ounce melt in one warmer for testing?

I have use the same wax blend (my own blend of 2 waxes) for years now and am glad that element of my wax making is done.

Trust me, thats definitely a good feeling as you can see, this is more difficult when you want it perfect.  I trust your melts are wonderful, but I really love parasoy for the richness of some scents and the appearance.  But yes, settling on a blend is driving me nuts to find, but I'm continuing to test.  I thought I was overthinking this at first, but it's simply just trying to get it the best it can be and eliminating my confusion. 

You will start noticing a big difference in wax with seasonal changes. Softer waxes will not hold up as well with summer temps. Mail a package to someone 1,000 miles away, and have them photograph the condition when it arrives. Have them mail it back so you can see for yourself. 

Likewise, if you sell at outdoor venues you will notice how much more your wax choice matters. 

Like JAJC I noticed a difference in my own home using different waxes. As the melts aged some did not hold up. Some did not perform as well. Some did not feel "good" coming out of the melt packaging. Some smeared so badly I would never consider offering them for retail. 

Like anything else, it takes time to figure out the right combo for the long haul. 

• Like 1

You will know pretty quickly if you've added too much oil.  It tends to seep, weep or sweat (different ways to explain the droplets that will form on top of the melt).  Some waxes can take more fo than others.  You do need to know how it will react in all seasons as others have said because heat/cold is a factor.  Last thing you want is to sell or gift weepy melts.

• Like 1

I understand that there are differences in how overall wax melts perform depending on which waxes are blended.  I also know this goes into testing and individual preference, but say you have 50/50 soy/paraffin and using a non forgiving soy FO.  Would that amount of soy outweigh the performance of the paraffin in it and only have say half the strength?  Again, I know this goes with testing and preference, but just wondered from you longterm wax scientists :)

iMO I would think it would depend on the oil also, but I don't think it would make the paraffin under perform. that is my opinion. If you are using a preblended parasoy it was designed to be used that way. Yet if you blended your own parasoy, then it would be your testing to get the right combo.

• Like 1