Flowers and herbs on the top of candles

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 1:45 PM, KrisS said:

So many times this. Safety standards, ASTM, NFPA, OSHA, etc., are written in the blood of people who have been injured, killed, or suffered significant property damage due to the very things in these standards.

Just because you've gotten by so far doesn't mean it can't happen to your product. I'm sure the products that had incidents and caused the standards to be written were perfectly fine without incident...until they weren't. Not only from a product liability, insurance, and financial standpoint, folks need to decide if they're ethically willing to risk someone's life with some flaky little flower bits. Can you live with setting someone's home, pet, or child on fire just for a pretty candle? If not, don't do it.

:2cents:

These types of candles scare me when I see them being sold everywhere, but the ones who make them and get defensive when you try to tell them anything scares me 10 times more! They're breeding like rabbits out there! There's actually a couple of makers that claim that their insurance covers them with the botanicals. Honestly I would love to see that policy in writing because that just sounds like complete business suicide from a morals standpoint. I think it's either they're misunderstanding their policy or they're hoping to make what they're doing look better. 

I apologize if I've offended anyone who does use these botanicals, that's not my intention. I just hope everyone thinks long and hard before taking chances with other people's lives. Please ..

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 5:39 PM, bfroberts said:

I'd like to say the same for dough bowls too.

That freaks me out too! But it will be defended until the end of time that it's ok because it was sprayed with a flame retardant. Even worse is that a couple of well-known reputable candle supply companies started selling them also as "decor" or some crap like that. Money is truly a powerful evil. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

These types of candles scare me when I see them being sold everywhere, but the ones who make them and get defensive when you try to tell them anything scares me 10 times more! They're breeding like rabbits out there! There's actually a couple of makers that claim that their insurance covers them with the botanicals. Honestly I would love to see that policy in writing because that just sounds like complete business suicide from a morals standpoint. I think it's either they're misunderstanding their policy or they're hoping to make what they're doing look better. 

I apologize if I've offended anyone who does use these botanicals, that's not my intention. I just hope everyone thinks long and hard before taking chances with other people's lives. Please ..

It seems that people are thinking if the botanicals don't catch fire, then there isn't a safety issue.  It seems to me that some of the danger lies at the end of the candle if there is residue from the leaves/petals/whatever that have absorbed liquid wax and fragrance oil, settling at the bottom of the candle.  This seems to me to be a highly dangerous situation, esp. with vegetable waxes where the fragrance oil over time can flow down through the softer wax (similar with gel candles) and since regular polar fragrance oils are mostly used, what would prevent that from occurring?  In other words, there could very well be a high concentration of fragrance oil at the bottom, and if it's not of a higher flashpoint and the botanicals have soaked up a bunch of it, I just think it's a fire waiting to happen.

13 hours ago, LilFirecracker said:

I don't apologize if I've offended anyone who uses botanicals in candles. I'm not sorry if their feelings are hurt. Better to have hurt feelings than injured or dead children and pets.

Don't do it.  It's not worth harming someone.  Do. Not. Do. It.

Edited by KrisS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, birdcharm said:

It seems that people are thinking if the botanicals don't catch fire, then there isn't a safety issue.  It seems to me that some of the danger lies at the end of the candle if there is residue from the leaves/petals/whatever that have absorbed liquid wax and fragrance oil, settling at the bottom of the candle.  This seems to me to be a highly dangerous situation, esp. with vegetable waxes where the fragrance oil over time can flow down through the softer wax (similar with gel candles) and since regular polar fragrance oils are mostly used, what would prevent that from occurring?  In other words, there could very well be a high concentration of fragrance oil at the bottom, and if it's not of a higher flashpoint and the botanicals have soaked up a bunch of it, I just think it's a fire waiting to happen.

Right... It would be a mini torch. A couple of months ago I joined a handful of groups on Facebook because, well, I was bored and looking for entertainment. And I was curious as I heard so much about some of these groups. And I got more than I bargained for. Over half of these makers have no clue that they needed insurance to cover their asses. Then ask if it's legally required because "Really, what are the odds of someone suing me?" Lots of others backing that statement up and telling those who try to tell them better that "They don't know what they're talking about and they've tested so many and nothing ever happened and they burned  BEAUTIFULLY!" I think I got whiplash from shaking my head so much! Yeah... It's perfectly safe. Nothing ever happens - until something does happen.

Sorry! I realized I switched gears and took off on a rant lol. It worries me what's happening to some of these younger generations. When I see stuff like that, I wanna sentence them to spend a week or 2 here reading and learning and asking questions 24/7. But that would be punishing everyone else too lol. 

2 hours ago, KrisS said:

I don't apologize if I've offended anyone who uses botanicals in candles. I'm not sorry if their feelings are hurt. Better to have hurt feelings than injured or dead children and pets.

Don't do it.  It's not worth harming someone.  Do. Not. Do. It.

You're right. I shouldn't apologize.