Yikes ! What did I do wrong with my wicks ? :(

So I went to burn my parasoys today and my wicks went crazy. I wicked up on my smaller ones and double wicked on the bigger because I used the max load of fragrance ( 10% )

I had to put them out because the flames were outrageously high, sooty and the flames joined together on the double wick ?

I never had this problem even wicking palm ! My assumption is a ) I WAY overwicked ! & b ) used way too much oil. Would I be correct in these assumptions ? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong ?

Never want to see this again with my candles, that's for sure 

Edited by WaxingPoetic

7 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Sounds like exactly what you think... way overwicked and overscented. Bummer. 

Okay thanks ! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything :) Yeah, that was really stupid of me, lol, something told me to not scent it that much. I need to start listening to my intuition.

Edited by WaxingPoetic

4 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

What brand of wick are you using?  Just wondering as I'm trying to pinpoint why I am having problems.

Goldie

I'm using the CD wicks, which I love...when I wick right, lol. I have all different sizes of them but they are my wick of choice these days

Definitely need to wick down if double wicking... especially on those crazy hot burning CDs!  :P

I prefer not to use CDs myself.

Also... with 10% load I am not surprised at all you are getting soot, etc. 

10% is too much for me personally... I dont want to knock my customers out, but more importantly... the candles perform better.

That being said... I do have some scents that are lighter than normal and use a bit more FO than normal. And if I dont have

the wicking down perfect, the flames can get too big and soot

• Like 1

10% FO load for parasoy is overkill to me. You only need 6% max for a great scented candle that performs well. You should get that with about 90-95% of the FOs you use. Using a higher FO load like 7-8% will be the exception only for just a very few FOs. You may also have some FOs that you can use at a lower load of 3-4%. Overloading FO does not necessarily make a candle smell stronger or better. Overloading can cause sooting, excessive flame, and even kill fragrance throw as well as kill some of the subtle notes that make up the scent.

Also, I don't know what diameter your candle jars are but if they are 4" or smaller I would recommend single wicking for a parasoy blend.

Learn what the smallest size wick is for your candle application having a successful burn and go with that. Bigger wicks or wicking up isn't better unless your candle shows signs of underwicking.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies ! You have all been super helpful ! Yeah I definitely got carried away with the oils, I saw that it could take more and kinda ran with that just because I thought I could, which I admit was a silly reason, lol.

I didn't know that CD's burned hotter than other wicks ! This has all been very useful information, thank you all again so much ! 

I will absolutely cut down on the fragrance next batch and will absolutely be wicking WAY down and sticking to a single wick.