All natural essential oil candle

kfintoni

While poking around the web I came across a candle web site that looked interesting. I was reading their about us page and this is what it said.  Name left out on purpose,    is a 100% Soy candle company that uses all natural essential oils. We pride ourselves on offering long burning candles with the freshest scents.  I then go to look at their scent choices and there are scents like Hansel and Gretels House, Pumpkin Latte and Pecan Praline.

Am I the only one that gets frustrated by these comments? It is so misleading to the consumer thinking the candle is made with essential oils. Did this person grow and grind up little kids and sweets to extract the oil for the Hansel and Gretels scent?  I am done my rant is over. I just wanted to hear what others had to say about the topic.

Karen in MA

• Like 5

You don't want to hear my opinion of people that make outrageous claims like that. But when I meet one in person say at a craft fair I always counter them with something like "where did you get pumpkin or graham cracker essential oil?" and they see I caught them in a fib.

It is possible to combine EOs together or with extracts or absolutes to get a variety of scents, even a decent pumpkin blend. But they have to know a buttload about fragrance mixing to know just what ingredients blended together will make them.

People who make claims like you mention from that website aren't the ones who do that. Otherwise they would have known better than to make such statements.

Anyway the dead giveaway is that the scent names are actually well known FO scents. Why use the name? Pretty dense.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 4

I asked a guy at a street fair how he could outright lie to people because he advertised essential oil, all natural, etc and had many well known fo scents.  He couldn't respond, pretty much jaw drop and stood there.   Don't think he was ever asked before and I know this guy has sold at this street fair for over 8 years.

I get they are trying to make $$ in the "natural" market but it's downright crazy to deceive people.

• Like 2

I get they are trying to make $$ in the "natural" market but it's downright crazy to deceive people.

But they get away with it. Who is going to call them on it? And what would the penalty be? Many would just deny they arent' selling what they say they are selling, and be back the next week. Most consumers would never know...

A while back, someone went to a Farmer's Market and purchased various products labeled 'organic' and tested them. I don't remember all the particulars, but many of the samples came back as not organic. That is another example of people trying to cash in on the 'natural' market. As for vegetables, unless I grow them myself, I tend to be skeptical of produce sold as organic. Just too much temptation to ask for higher prices to not be truthful.

To me, the word 'natural' as a sales tool, has become pretty meaningless.

• Like 1

I don't have a beef with sellers using the word natural as much as organic. To be organic requires strict growing methods and handling plus state certification. So if you see the word organic you can ask about their certification. The word 'natural' is just too mainstream so I tend to just ignore.

12 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

I asked a guy at a street fair how he could outright lie to people because he advertised essential oil, all natural, etc and had many well known fo scents.  He couldn't respond, pretty much jaw drop and stood there.   Don't think he was ever asked before and I know this guy has sold at this street fair for over 8 years.

LOL Wish you had a picture of that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

I don't have a beef with sellers using the word natural as much as organic. To be organic requires strict growing methods and handling plus state certification. So if you see the word organic you can ask about their certification. The word 'natural' is just too mainstream so I tend to just ignore.

I was just trying to wade through a long Wikipedia article on 'certified organic' cuz I just didn't know the process, and found a few interesting tidbits. Sellers don't necessarily have to be certified to legally label their produce as 'organic'. If you are a small grower (less than $5K per year), such as many at our local small Farmers markets, you are exempt from having to be certified. Also, it costs between $400 and 2,000 annually to retain certification. And there are lots of steps involved to get it.

And many organic foods are imported. Apparently a significant amount comes from china, or used to. To further complicate what can be called 'organic', each country sets their own rules....  There are many countries I do not trust.

Like the word 'natural', the word 'organic' is often either misunderstood, or misused (sometimes intentionally) by some people. I used to think it meant no pesticides, but it doesn't. It means any pesticides used must be organic. And there are some really toxic ones that are used.

I'm not against either products that are truly 'organic' or 'natural'. Quite the contrary, and am very picky about what I grow, buy or use. But I think these words are over-used or misused in order to get us to part with our money. And there is very little we can do about it when someone is not telling the truth either accidentally or on purpose. It comes down to trust. Know your sellers and stick with the good ones.

On 3/17/2017 at 4:09 PM, kfintoni said:

While poking around the web I came across a candle web site that looked interesting. I was reading their about us page and this is what it said.  Name left out on purpose,    is a 100% Soy candle company that uses all natural essential oils. We pride ourselves on offering long burning candles with the freshest scents.  I then go to look at their scent choices and there are scents like Hansel and Gretels House, Pumpkin Latte and Pecan Praline.

Am I the only one that gets frustrated by these comments? It is so misleading to the consumer thinking the candle is made with essential oils. Did this person grow and grind up little kids and sweets to extract the oil for the Hansel and Gretels scent?  I am done my rant is over. I just wanted to hear what others had to say about the topic.

Karen in MA

You by far are not the only one. It's why I'm not allowed to be at a show and am production only in our biz, because we had one of those all naturals next to us who were selling bubble gum essential oil and I got in trouble for hissing something like how do you make bubble gum essential oil? Chew and spit into the wax? I don't mind not doing the shows lol! Less aggravation now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Scented said:

You by far are not the only one. It's why I'm not allowed to be at a show and am production only in our biz, because we had one of those all naturals next to us who were selling bubble gum essential oil and I got in trouble for hissing something like how do you make bubble gum essential oil? Chew and spit into the wax? I don't mind not doing the shows lol! Less aggravation now. 

That is funny you called them out. I was at a fair yesterday and there were a few like that there. I figured I was not the only one who felt this way.

Karen in MA

Not all is lost, something these deceptive sellers don't count on is the educated buyer. I learned years ago to never underestimate my customers awareness and knowledge when it comes to essential oils or other ingredients I use in my products, especially my soap.

Yes there are a lot of people out there that don't know the first thing when it comes to EOs but eventually those sellers will come across the better informed and get an "education".

There is one market I do that is close to the Washington DC metro area and the people that come to the market are very well informed. I get detailed questions about my products and what goes into themm how they were processed, manufactured, origin, content, etc., etc., etc.! Thank goodness I know my products and research the ingredients prior to purchasing supplies. Some of those questions are tough and I have had to look up answers to some when I got home. Honestly I would rather work with the well informed customer as they keep me on my toes!