Unusual, Weird, But Authentic Scents?

glasllyn

On 3/1/2017 at 9:13 AM, glasllyn said:

SaveOnScents sells some interesting FOs like "Cement" and "Basement." Has anyone tried any of their novelty scents or any from another vendor that are accurate representations of what they claim to be?

I actually received 3 samples from them yesterday. I have been on a hunt for Sawdust or Wood shop smell. My daughter also wanted me to find an Old Spice Classic scent. They arrived yesterday and I have to say I am very disappointed in the wood scents. Neither smell remotely like wood to me. I Also had a few others sniff OOB as everyones noses can be different. The Old Spice was okay but nothing to write home about. I found their prices to be very high, the one ounce of Old Spice was $10 something. I will be looking in another direction for my wood scents.

Karen in MA

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kfintoni said:

I actually received 3 samples from them yesterday. I have been on a hunt for Sawdust or Wood shop smell. My daughter also wanted me to find an Old Spice Classic scent. They arrived yesterday and I have to say I am very disappointed in the wood scents. Neither smell remotely like wood to me. I Also had a few others sniff OOB as everyones noses can be different. The Old Spice was okay but nothing to write home about. I found their prices to be very high, the one ounce of Old Spice was $10 something. I will be looking in another direction for my wood scents.

Karen in MA

Put the wood scents into wax.  I haven't tried SOS but I've really learned not to judge fo or even eo out of the bottle.  Some change drastically when put into wax or soap, they can mellow or come alive.

• Like 1

I found their prices to be very high, the one ounce of Old Spice was $10 something.

SaveonScents has a really goofy sales strategy. No other way to put it - they've lost their minds.

They have a lot of other products at decent enough prices, but unless you are a member of their 'club', you pay a ridiculous upcharge.

So how do you become a member of their 'club'? You have to buy $66 of their grossly overpriced fragrance oils (some are not bad, but most are pretty expensive).

Now here is the real kicker - you have 2 months to buy whatever else you want at reasonable prices (without the upcharge). After the 2 months, you have to waste another $33/month (on average) on fragrances just to stay in the club, or start paying the upcharge for other products.

I think if you do a search on this board, SOS does not have a real good reputation for the quality of their oils.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Have you tried CS cedar wood vanilla ? Not sure if the vanilla would be a deterrent for you ?

I love scents like those. I use a lot of cedar and cedar blends, but have not purchased a cedar vanilla. 

I'm going to try some oils and chemaromas from this company:

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-55-fragrance-oils.aspx

I'm interested in trying the individual aromas to make something really unique. I've been corresponding with someone there and he sent me these recommendations:

"I LOVE our Pink Peppercorn, and would highly recommend it.
Our 'Dirt' fragrance oil may fit the bill for your soil/fresh earth. If you want to try a non-fragrance oil earthy fragrance, I recommend 'Terrasol.'
Musk (Animalic) - Tonquitone definitely.
Deep, Genuine Woody = Bois Des Landes (in our Natural > Robertet or Bases & Blends section). 
Leather - Cuir Vitessence (Bases & Blends) Not a fragrance oil. We also have a Leather fragrance oil that you could try". 

31 minutes ago, glasllyn said:

I love scents like those. I use a lot of cedar and cedar blends, but have not purchased a cedar vanilla. 

I'm going to try some oils and chemaromas from this company:

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-55-fragrance-oils.aspx

I'm interested in trying the individual aromas to make something really unique. I've been corresponding with someone there and he sent me these recommendations:

"I LOVE our Pink Peppercorn, and would highly recommend it.
Our 'Dirt' fragrance oil may fit the bill for your soil/fresh earth. If you want to try a non-fragrance oil earthy fragrance, I recommend 'Terrasol.'
Musk (Animalic) - Tonquitone definitely.
Deep, Genuine Woody = Bois Des Landes (in our Natural > Robertet or Bases & Blends section). 
Leather - Cuir Vitessence (Bases & Blends) Not a fragrance oil. We also have a Leather fragrance oil that you could try". 

Im not sure how those FO's from perfumers apprentice would work in candles, Im assuming you'll be using in candles ? Aren't they pretty pricey ? 

Im not into the type of scents your describing so I can't be of much help . CS also has a cedar lavender oh and I believe Lebermuth has an old book

scent ... whatever thats suppose to smell like lol ! Good luck on your endeavors :) 

3 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Im not sure how those FO's from perfumers apprentice would work in candles, Im assuming you'll be using in candles ? Aren't they pretty pricey ? 

Im not into the type of scents your describing so I can't be of much help . CS also has a cedar lavender oh and I believe Lebermuth has an old book

scent ... whatever thats suppose to smell like lol ! Good luck on your endeavors :) 

I'm using them to create perfumes, and then I'll try those blends in soy wax  and perhaps body care products to see what happens. You just never know. Lebermuth doesn't seem to offer small sizes to try. Am I wrong about that?  

10 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Flaming Candle has a super Redwood/Cedar......It is literally a blow your socks off fragrance.  I find it very true to its name also.  You could cut back on this oil.

Trappeur

I have it and I also love it. I have actually liked everything I've purchased from them.  I absolutely love the Pipe Tobacco.

2 hours ago, glasllyn said:

I'm using them to create perfumes, and then I'll try those blends in soy wax  and perhaps body care products to see what happens. You just never know. Lebermuth doesn't seem to offer small sizes to try. Am I wrong about that?  

If you go on their site they now offer .5 oz samples - I believe they're $3 and you can order 10. I love the samples Ive ordered with the exception of 2. One of them 

being kelp - yuck ! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rctfavr3 said:

I used to use SoS and enjoyed many of their novelty oils. Even had some oils made. But not anymore. Prices too high and oils made weaker. I'll still order from them on occasion but it's a rarity. Got ?s PM me.

This is who I was referring to earlier. Sorry rct, I couldn't get the name right the first time. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, glasllyn said:

I LOVE Flaming's Saffron/Cedar. (or is it Cedar/Saffron?).

Can you recommend any other Cedar scents I might try?

And in my next order from Flaming, I'm going to try the Cedar/Redwood. I've been eyeing that one.

19 hours ago, Incendia said:

I LOVE Flaming's Saffron/Cedar. (or is it Cedar/Saffron?).

Can you recommend any other Cedar scents I might try?

And in my next order from Flaming, I'm going to try the Cedar/Redwood. I've been eyeing that one.

BB's cedar is good, also. That's the only other I've tried so far.

Thanks. I've always been acronym challenged. I often do use that acronym thread, but there are just so many of them used, and that takes time, I often just don't look them up unless it's something I'm really interested in.

The other day someone wrote something like: Have you tried xxx from xxx? It's very similar to xxx from xxx.... 

Not only were supplier names abbreviated, but so were the scent names. It was Greek to me, lol. Fortunately people often will spell out the fragrance name somewhere in a thread, so that is helpful.

Edited by Incendia