My new carboy

Candybee

Just bought one of these 2.5 gal carboys to try out for my lye masterbatching. Its the smaller one on the top rack. I checked out several carboy suppliers online and spoke to Uline to ask questions about the jug specs. Wanted to make sure its drip proof and will work for lye.

Will let you all know how it works out for me. I am nervous about the drip spout and the lye solution sitting for days/weeks/months in a large container. I will try it out and if I like it will go with the 5 gal carboy and get the stand too. uline.com carboy

Right now I am using a gallon jug and its just not big enough for me anymore. I need a minimum of 2-3 or more just for one day of making soap!

• Like 2

If it works the way I am hoping then I will start getting the 5 gal carboys for lye masterbatching. I mix two different lyes and want to have plenty of both on hand when I am ready to soap. I will use the 50lb pails for soap oil masterbatches. I can then use the 2.5 gal carboy for something else..

Well I got the carboy jug and love it! I am going to fill it with distilled water and put it in the fridge. Want to use it first and see if it 'drips' from the faucet after each use before I try it with a caustic lye solution.

I love that it has an opening on top so I can load in my liquids and even stir if need be. I also like the sturdy large size handle so it will be easy to pick up and tote around. I could also stand the carboy on end. Another neat feature is that its a clear plastic and it has gallon and half gallon level markers so I can read at a glance what is left in the container.

I just wish I had got one of these containers earlier. Would have saved me a lot of extra work in my masterbatching.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Candybee,

I was thinking of getting a carbouy myself.  I always wondered though, if you keep your masterbatched lye in it, does the water eventually evaporate out of it at all?  If it does, then you would end up measuring out more lye than your recipe actually calls for.  Please let me know how it works out for you.  Congrats on the purchase :)

17 hours ago, kizzy said:

Hi Candybee,

I was thinking of getting a carbouy myself.  I always wondered though, if you keep your masterbatched lye in it, does the water eventually evaporate out of it at all?  If it does, then you would end up measuring out more lye than your recipe actually calls for.  Please let me know how it works out for you.  Congrats on the purchase :)

You wouldn't measure more lye, but you would have a steeper water discount than you are probably expecting. 

I had mentioned in another thread that this particular carboy was not working out. It doesn't drip so that is great but the spigot moves from side to side so I can't use it for my lye. I've been using it to hold water and have had it spill on me when the spigot turned. So I will just use it for water in the meantime. Its great because its super thin and fits perfectly in my fridge so I can always get chilled water. Its also easy to fill it up and it holds 2 1/2 gallons so that is all I need.

• Like 1