Using eggs and egg whites in soap

Candybee

It's been several years since I used eggs or rather egg yolks in my soap. I remember the lather being extra rich and creamy in the finished soap.

Lately I have been doing research on my specialty soaps looking to see where egg yolks or egg whites might come in handy.

Some sources claim yolks reduce skin pores while whites help detoxify. Before I go adding yolks or whites to my facial soaps I wanted some feedback.

Do yolks or whites actually add any notable skin benefits in soap or do they just make creamier, rich lather?

Well the good news is the soap I have in mind is not a vegetarian soap so the addition of egg yolk could improve the lather and make it nicer.

Another question, has anyone noticed if adding egg yolks in soap has any drying effects on your skin?

And has anyone used just the whites in their soapmaking? I never tried just the whites without the yolk so wondering what this might add to the soap?

Sorry I can't offer any direct advise but its funny you ask about soap with egg. Just a few days ago I saw a egg white soap at a upscale gift store.

Its made in Belgium + Called Eiwit Zeep if you want to google it. I thought it was pretty cool - especially the cute Euro packaging. 

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

What do you mean 'tame' difficult FOs?

Lecithin helps to slow trace. Acceleration of a fast-moving floral or spice can often be slowed down with lecithin from eggs or those dietary capsules. I buy lecithin by the quart in case I need to make hard to deal with scented soap.

• Like 3

I think I was reading about lecithin the other day in one of my new books. Intersting, the soaps I had in mind were florals and my rose soap is the Gypsy Rose from FB. It moves so fast I only have time to plop it into a mold and mash it down to level it. I think I may give those yolks a try.

So what is a good amount of yolks to use for a 5 lb soap batch?

I can't remember how many it took... I use about 20-25% lecithin to FO when making florals and spices that are super tricky. I would go easy ok the yolk since they can make a stanky soap if too hot. There can also be a greenish hue for a while. Both usually fade over time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Lecithin helps to slow trace. Acceleration of a fast-moving floral or spice can often be slowed down with lecithin from eggs or those dietary capsules. I buy lecithin by the quart in case I need to make hard to deal with scented soap.

Who's your dealer? Erm... I mean supplier... o.O I need to get some lectithin, panthenol, and some raw silk. I've been requested to make some jewel weed soap... Another thread in the percolation chamber. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Who's your dealer? Erm... I mean supplier... o.O I need to get some lectithin, panthenol, and some raw silk. I've been requested to make some jewel weed soap... Another thread in the percolation chamber. 

Soapers choice sells it by the gallon. Many soap suppliers also have it. Bulk apothecary, ingredients to die for, Saffire blue,  for instance. I a, not in my shop or I would look at the supplier from the bottle I have.

• Like 1

Soapers Choice.... that's where I saw it.... and someplace else... FNWL?... or ITDF?

I'm reading in the Soapmaker's Companion about lecithin and just not getting it. What does it do exactly in CP soap? and can anyone explain in laymen's terms what it is?

I am reading its a propolis? and breaks up fat? and present in eggs but I find the explanation confusing... maybe I just need to keep looking for a source that better describes it.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, Jenia Johnson said:

Tall Tayl, I get raw silk from Bramble berry & raw silk powder soluble in water or oil ( your choice ) I chose water because I add it after cook in my essential oils or milk so lye doesn't destroy it's value!! From New directions aromatics! Any silk is quite expensive though! 

Cool 😊