Soaping books

Candybee

I finally broke down and bought me some books for CP soapmaking. I have books on candlemaking and M&P but no CP even though I have been making it for several years now.

I got:

The Soapmakers Companion: A Comprehensive Guide..., by Susan Miller Cavitch

Scientific Soapmaking:The Chemistry of the Cold Process, by Kevin Dunn

and Making Natural Liquid Soaps...., by Catherine Failor

They should arrive on Tuesday. Got them off Amazon with my prime membership.

I have been teaching myself through trial and error and reading through forums like this one and others, plus blogs, magazines, etc.

I hope I got some good ones. But I do recall the first two as some of the better soapmaking books to get and read. I have read some of Dunn's writing before and always wanted to read his book.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

I have all those books. Unless you have a basic understanding of liquid soap, The natural liquid soap book is awkward and confusing (even if you do have an understanding of it) She jumps around quite a lot. However, not to discourage you, there is good information in the book. 

The other 2 are good books too. 

Another good one is The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso - there is some good information in there. 

There are more, and I can get you a list. I also started soaping before reading any of them, but I just like having them for my library... 

I have so many soapmaking books it's ridiculous, but I'm also a bibliophile and have over 6000 books in general (2000 in ebooks, the rest physical, and yet I still buy MORE!! It's so bad!!) 

• Like 1

I was looking at the Everything Soapmaking Book. They have that at Amazon. But the 3 I got today are all I can afford for now.

I had read conflicting info on the liquid soap book so am prepared (I hope!) for incompleteness or disjointed instructions by the author. I just wish there was a liquid soap 'bible' out there that would make learning it easy.

I also want a good milk soap book and books on working with botanicals and essential oils for healing and aromatherapy. Those are probably down the road a bit.

I should soak up and glean new insight on the books I just ordered first.

I would also like to learn cream soaps one day. Also, I have wanted to learn how to make a shaving soap like the Italian creams.

If you know any books like those I am interested in I would like to hear about them. Thanks!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I LOVE this book for liquid soap - 

Liquid Soapmaking by Jackie Thompson - When I got it it was only $20 (shipping included) but I got it directly from Jackie. 

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Soapmaking-Techniques-Creating-Naturally/dp/0990311503/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486321393&sr=1-1&keywords=liquid+soapmaking+jackie+thompson

Girl, you need to come to my house... Let me take a pic of some of the books I have that you are talking about, that will help you with your decisions when you can get to it. It'll be a minute while I get the books, get the pics then upload them... 

• Like 1

Okay here you go - all of these are great books for anyone in our field/industry to have (IMO) 

Left to Right

Soap Crafting by Anne Marie Faiola (Soap Queen/Bramble Berry) This book is great for learning soap swirl techniques. It also goes into oil properties, mold making and some other general stuff. 

Natural Soap Book - Making Herbal and Vegetable Based Soaps - by Susan Miller Cavitch - This book goes into coloring with natural based colorants, herbs used in soap making etc (kind of what you were looking for Candy)

Soapmaker's Companion - by Susan Miller Cavitch - this is great general how to book on soapmaking with some recipes, techniques and other general information.

Scientific Soapmaing - by Kevin M Dunn - great book for the science minded person in soapmaking

The Everything Soapmaking Book - by Alicia Grosso - great addition to the Soamaker's Companion  - there are several editions to this book, I would get the latest edition for all the updated information. 

Milk Based Soaps - by Casey Makela - great book on how to make milk based soaps, with recipes, information and techniques.

Natural Beauty for All Seasons - This is not a soapmaking book, but it's great for the natural homemade pursuer. It has many beauty regimes using "natural" ingredients (however, I would use at your own risk. I really like this book, but none of the recipes call for any kind of preservative, so if you make them they are a use right away type of product) 

Liquid Soapmaking - by Jackie Thompson This is a comprehensive how-to book on making liquid soaps. Must admit I've only browsed it, but I do like how well it's put together and IMO it's much better than the Catherine Failor book. 

Hope this list helps... 

Soap books.jpg

Edited by Jcandleattic
  • Like 2

This is a little off topic but do you know of any art of making shaving soaps books? or making shaving brushes? I already have a great shaving soap recipe but its the puck type. I want to learn cream shaving soaps and especially Italian creams.

But I am also interested in learning how to make shaving brushes. I have been browsing sites for sources of shaving handles, shaving knots, etc., and "how to" for making my own brushes. I have people ask me all the time for brushes but I really don't want to sell resale brushes or resale anything for that matter. Would love to invest some time and money into making my own.  I can find some resources but a good book on the art of making shaving brushes would be really handy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Candybee said:

This is a little off topic but do you know of any art of making shaving soaps books? or making shaving brushes? I already have a great shaving soap recipe but its the puck type. I want to learn cream shaving soaps and especially Italian creams.

But I am also interested in learning how to make shaving brushes. I have been browsing sites for sources of shaving handles, shaving knots, etc., and "how to" for making my own brushes. I have people ask me all the time for brushes but I really don't want to sell resale brushes or resale anything for that matter. Would love to invest some time and money into making my own.  I can find some resources but a good book on the art of making shaving brushes would be really handy.

Brush making...? (SHUDDERS) Scary stuff there! (No? Don't believe me? ooookay :)(  )   

I prefer silver tipped badger. No... Sable will NOT work... Badger dammit!!! Silver TIPPED badger!!! 

"Buh-ring me a badgery." 

http://www.theartofshaving.com/shaving-brushes-silvertip/shaving-brushes-silvertip,default,sc.html

^ I'd call that SCARY.

I may have something about casting these puck soaps soon... One COULD say I've been puck'ing around in the shop and I intend to publish my exploits soon. 0.O

• Like 1

Thanks. I've perused their website before and have it bookmarked. But still looking for books on making shaving brushes or history of shaving brushes, etc. I would love to read about how the artisan brush makers make everything from scratch including making the knots. I've come across a website or two with bits and pieces of info but I want a good resource book(s) on it.

I sell a lot of my shaving soaps and have a market for also selling shaving brushes. I have given it a lot of thought so that is why I am looking into it and trying to research it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Has anyone read Mary Gayle's book on Soap and Cosmetic Labeling? I put that on my wish list at Amazon. Was just wondering if the material is up to date and the read helpful.

Guess who has that book?? LMAO 

Yes, it is very insightful, a little confusing, but totally worth it, and it goes nicely with her blog. I've had several chances to talk with her as well, and she is super helpful and very nice, when you can actually get to talk to her since she is so busy! 

• Like 1

And then there's the locus of it all...

51ts2pkPP6L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

Loads of FUN! Everything from salvaging sweaty crayons from kids to use as colorants to using used glass mayonnaise jars with metal lids that have had holes poked in the top with a nail for mixing, storing, and pouring hot lye solutions... THAT's the book that started my whole Bad Ideas movement, 'cause if I survived that, the WORLD is my oyster!

It's a neat book though.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sponiebr said:

Loads of FUN! Everything from salvaging sweaty crayons from kids to use as colorants to using used glass mayonnaise jars with metal lids that have had holes poked in the top with a nail for mixing, storing, and pouring hot lye solutions... THAT's the book that started my whole Bad Ideas movement, 'cause if I survived that, the WORLD is my oyster!

It's a neat book though.  

???

I have those books, too. The Everything Soapmaking Book by Alicia Grosso had a couple recipes that were lye heavy, so I remember writing the corrections in the margin. I always run book recipes through the SoapCalc, because typos can and do happen. I also like any of Sandy Maine's books. Her pictures are always so pretty.

12 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

It's a neat book though.  

I try to stay away from books that are unhelpful, or just give out blatantly bad information. I don't have this book but if it's as bad as you say, this is how people perpetuate bad idea after bad, and then that gets thrown about as fact. 

Books like these is what makes it even harder for the home soapmakers to make a name for themselves, and a successful business.. Someone uses books likes this, starts selling without knowing any better, and boom, all soap makers get a bad reputation from that one seller. 

Sponie-- funny you mention the crayons from the Bramson book. I actually know a soaper who was talking to me last fall about how she used to use crayons to color her soap. She explained the whole process as I stood there probably looking quite dumbstruck! What was so amazing is that she really is a fabulous soapmaker and has been one for at least an entire generation. So I am guessing the use of crayons has something to do with a former generational culture of soap makers that she had not grown out of.

BTW--- she did not convince me to try crayons.

• Like 1