Soaping books

Candybee

8 hours ago, Candybee said:

Sponie-- funny you mention the crayons from the Bramson book. I actually know a soaper who was talking to me last fall about how she used to use crayons to color her soap. She explained the whole process as I stood there probably looking quite dumbstruck! What was so amazing is that she really is a fabulous soapmaker and has been one for at least an entire generation. So I am guessing the use of crayons has something to do with a former generational culture of soap makers that she had not grown out of.

BTW--- she did not convince me to try crayons.

LOL. Oh the crayons... Honestly they're not all that big a deal, they don't really color very well either. Using a few crayons in your soap for some colorant generally doesn't do anything more to the soap than what a little beeswax and stearic acid would do. I never used them personally when I was making soap on the farm, I wasn't allowed to... Crayon bits were reserved for my sister to make the hand dipped tapers. I should think that those new wash off crayons would do fairly well as a colorant and I would think that any wax crayon used in a swirl would cause the swirled soap to be harder than the surrounding soap...

I might try a little batch just for giggles.

• Like 1

The books came today!! I'm like a kid in a candy store and don't know which to read first. I ended up reading the Forward in the Dunn book. Then I noticed it was written by Marie Gale. Then had to double check it was in fact the Dunn book.

I know already I am going to love the liquid soap book. Its got info for castile, shampoo, dog shampoo, and baby shampoo. Those are 3 reasons I wanted to learn liquid soapmaking in the first place was to make my own!

I can tell I am going to have a hard time with some of the chemistry in the Dunn book but that is okay. I don't want to be a chemist I just want a better understanding of the science in soapmaking.

Edited by Candybee