First batch!

Looking good :) I thought of my daughter when I saw your Harry Potter books in the background lol ! She has every book + knows just about anything about 

HP lol ! So what wicks/sizes and wax did you use ? They really do look nice, did you scent these or just testing wicks for now ? 

• Like 2

They look bee-u-tiful.

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I thought of my daughter when I saw your Harry Potter books in the background lol !

That's funny because the Harry Potter fan in my house is...me! I loved the pic with the Harry Potter books best, lol!

• Like 2

Haha. I love Harry Potter! I did add scent, however I obviously didn't let them sit long at all so I am not getting good throw (I really just wanted to test the burn with the 6% scent and all). I used C-3 Soy Wax & eco wicks...

16 oz jar = ECO-14 6" Wick

8 oz jar = ECO-14 6" Wick

4 oz jar = ECO-4 6" Wick

I am now about an hour into the burn and they are nice & even so far. *yay*

I have tested lonestar coffee & grapefruit scent. I cant wait to see how the scents really are after waiting a couple of weeks before burning. What are some of yalls favorite/best selling scents? I need to order a batch--- I want to focus on about 5 scents to start.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, infertilemyrtle said:

Haha. I love Harry Potter! I did add scent, however I obviously didn't let them sit long at all so I am not getting good throw (I really just wanted to test the burn with the 6% scent and all). I used C-3 Soy Wax & eco wicks...

16 oz jar = ECO-14 6" Wick

8 oz jar = ECO-14 6" Wick

4 oz jar = ECO-4 6" Wick

I am now about an hour into the burn and they are nice & even so far. *yay*

I have tested lonestar coffee & grapefruit scent. I cant wait to see how the scents really are after waiting a couple of weeks before burning. What are some of yalls favorite/best selling scents? I need to order a batch--- I want to focus on about 5 scents to start.

Are those 2 separate scents ? Ive never heard of a coffee grapefruit scent ??? 

• Like 1

@infertilemyrtle  You should check out the thread in this forum that TallTayl started about wax and wick testing. She is doing a burn test with C3 wax with different wicks, so it might be something you want to check out.

I don't use soy, but from what I've learned on this site, it does need a longer cure, not just for scent throw but also for a better burn. I understand the excitement that comes with burning your first candle, but letting them cure the needed time will make your testing more accurate.

2 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Are those 2 separate scents ? Ive never heard of a coffee grapefruit scent ??? 

Ha-ha! That was my first reaction, too! Then it dawned on me that it must be two separate scents.

• Like 2

Soy changes a LOT as it cures. A candle made today will burn very differently in 24 hours, 72 hours, 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. 

ECO14 are pretty big wicks. Keep an eye on them, especially as you get through the first quarter to third of the jar. then be vigilant by the mid point and last half. 

• Like 2

Just now, infertilemyrtle said:

@TallTayl the burn so far has been really good (for the ones that did not cure but 12 hours). The only issue is slight mushrooming on the 16oz & 8oz candles. Assume I need to wick down slightly?

I would not pass any wicking judgement until the candles have cooled and set completely. For soy that is way longer than 12 hours.  Patience saves a lot of testing time and $$ 

i would make another other set of those and let them sit at least 2 weeks (preferably longer) before settling on the wicking. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 11:13 AM, infertilemyrtle said:

@TallTayl the burn so far has been really good (for the ones that did not cure but 12 hours). The only issue is slight mushrooming on the 16oz & 8oz candles. Assume I need to wick down slightly?

Is mushrooming a tell tale sign you need to wick down? Im having slight issues myself with this atm

• Like 1

5 hours ago, infertilemyrtle said:

@Clear Black I honestly have no clue! I am a newbie, haha. From what @TallTayl said it doesn't look like it, though. What is the biggest source of mushrooming, friends?

From what I have gathered the main source is un-burned fuel (fo) causing a carbon build up (mushrooms) on the wick. So naturally the first thing I did was to wick up, thinking I could burn off more of the un burned fuel. Didnt help. Next I dropped the fragrance load from 9% to 7%, kept the wick a bit larger than I needed and still get mushrooms. I beginning to think its some sort of air flow issue with the container I am using, but ive seen much taller and thinner jars do just fine. So in reality, I have no effing clue why I am still having this issue lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Take a look at the C3 wax wick tests. All unscented wax. Some wicks form gigantic mushrooms early on.

mushrooming is incomplete combustion.

But what would you say could be the cause of a wick performing perfectly the top half of the candle, then the bottom half mushrooming so that the wick looks like the head of a cauliflower?

I have seen cauliflower look on wicks broken off instead of cut. The fibers were all splayed and not aligned.

the environment at the bottom of the candle is much different. Air current, oxygen levels, wax temp, more wax forced through the wick than can be completely burned....

In my testings I found certain wicks mushroom more than others. I was using eco and lx, but had so much mushrooming going on so I switched to cd and found that one worked best for the results I was looking for. I have bags upon bags of wicks I should get rid of  haha.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 8:33 PM, PhoenixFyre said:

@infertilemyrtle  You should check out the thread in this forum that TallTayl started about wax and wick testing. She is doing a burn test with C3 wax with different wicks, so it might be something you want to check out.

I don't use soy, but from what I've learned on this site, it does need a longer cure, not just for scent throw but also for a better burn. I understand the excitement that comes with burning your first candle, but letting them cure the needed time will make your testing more accurate.

Ha-ha! That was my first reaction, too! Then it dawned on me that it must be two separate scents.

Thanks for chiming in ... I thought it was only me lol lol !!!! 

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

In my testings I found certain wicks mushroom more than others. I was using eco and lx, but had so much mushrooming going on so I switched to cd and found that one worked best for the results I was looking for. I have bags upon bags of wicks I should get rid of  haha.

Which wax are you using that the cd's worked best. I was testing 464 with cd wicks and the problem I was having is the excessive wax hang up on the jar.

I was told by a very experienced poster on here, darn I can't remember his name, anyhow he said why that happens with that wick is it leans. I never even

thought of that until I started closely looking at the jars + learning that the side where the wicks leaned toward, there was no wax hang up - he was right !

I do have some ECO wicks at home, maybe I should test those. Many on here have good results with 464. 

9 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I have seen cauliflower look on wicks brown off instead of cut. The fibers were all splayed and not aligned.

the environment at the bottom of the candle is much different. Air current, oxygen levels, wax temp, more wax forced through the wick than can be completely burned....

I started testing a double wick set up last night with two Premier 780. Waaaaaay too hot lol. Jar was reading 152* on the outside when I aimed the temp gun to it. Luckily its a tin container so no worries about glass breaking. Will keep stepping down in wicks til the temps cool a bit and see if I can maintain minimal mushrooming with 2 wicks instead of 1