6006/464 Wick Recommendation...

I do that same blend and use LX 14 or LX 12 wicks. 3 wicks per candle holder in glass holders like Bath and Body works style. I do have frosting issues but still like that blend for same reason as you - the 50/50 soy is what I'm going for.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2017 at 3:41 AM, mulberrysoap said:

Thanks Tammy, I will try that also, I am currently curing the stablio 18 as per flickers suggestion. I might try to double wick it like Sydney hale.

Sydney Hale candles are fabulous ! Any scent Ive ever gotten has released its scent within minutes of lighting. Beautifuly scented candles.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 2:24 PM, Flicker said:

In a 3.25" diameter in 6006, try a CD 18. I know it sounds big, but as long as they are tabbed by WU that is what has worked great for me in 6006 in the diameter you are working in. A CD 10 doesn't even work for me in an 8 oz jelly jar. Too Small.

I think I just might try your suggestion even though it sounds like that wick size would be way too big. So you use this wick size with just 6006 wax or 

464 blended with it. May I ask what % of each wax you used. BTW what is WU ? Thank you in advance :) 

7 hours ago, Tammy.D said:

I've seen a couple of people mention curing their candles and I've never done this...should I be with this 6006-464 blend?

Yes, blending the two means you are using a good amount of soy and you will want to cure longer than parrafin or straight 6006 IMO.

Id give it a week

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tammy.D said:

I've seen a couple of people mention curing their candles and I've never done this...should I be with this 6006-464 blend?

Tammy, 464 by itself needs a minimum 2 week cure. So with 6006 being already 30% Soy by itself, AND adding additional soy with your 464, you are looking at a lot of soy in that candle. Like wt said, Id give it a week at least. Maybe make a few and test one at 1 week, and the other at 2 week marks. Go from there.

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I think I just might try your suggestion even though it sounds like that wick size would be way too big. So you use this wick size with just 6006 wax or 

464 blended with it. May I ask what % of each wax you used. BTW what is WU ? Thank you in advance :) 

Probably referring to Wicks Unlimited... would be my guess

• Like 1

My jars are 3" in diameter and a CD10 is almost always perfect 

a 18 or 20 will explode, your adding parasoy which is softer than just soy alone and doesn't require wicking up like the straight soy does -I can't speak for 6006 alone I have never tried it but 464 is a softer soy and CD10 would be about perfect in a 3-3.25" jar or a 12 in some harder to burn fragrances  

you do not  want a deep melt pool at all...you need to be able to comfortably hold your glass throughout the entire burn 

take yankee candles for example- they completely liquify before the half way point And get so flipping hot and NO they don't smell good at all having a deeper melt pool, they smell burnt and have black soot like no other, my friends exploded this weekend power burning it in her cabin! 

and CD do not burn anywhere near as hot as the eco or HTP so I would suggest trying the CD again and maybe the RRD and premier - the biggest trick to CD with the curl and lean is twist your wick and clamp it with a clothespin while the candle sets...it works and evens out the burn

I am especially concerned with this years lots of soy not being "normal" and the 464 and 415 needing to be wicked DOWN to be safe for you to even consider going to a 18/20 in that jar with 6006 added 

again everyone's experiences are different but in all my tests with soys and CD smoking means to large not too small, so experiment some more with it, your fragrance load will have a big play in it also- how much are you using?

• Like 3

Thank you all for your replies on my curing question. I use 67% 6006 to 33% 464. This might be a dumb question but what does the curing do? I've actually burned them next day and had a good hot throw. Will curing them make it even better?

3 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

And I differ a bit here... i prefer HTP over CD nearly every time. CD soots too much for me compared to HTP. I feel they are really similar, but htp just works a lot better for me.

I have never used 6006 so this where I can't compare, just in soy alone I personally prefer the CD- so it's good to know HTP works well in 6006 ?

I guess it would all depend on the ratios used of 6006 to soy to see how they each perform 

Oh yah, straight soy... I'm not sure. 

My issue with CD... and not sure if other see this too.. but I just feel like they soot too much, more than many others. And for a wick that is supposedly self trimming somewhat (and it curls), it sure seems like it still develops mushrooms pretty quick for a wick that isn't supposed to. but again,  that has been my experience in 6006 and parrafins as well

And when I was testing Clarus parasoy the cd did smoke for me as well- I never got mushrooms but it did soot 

I would think if f more 464 was being used than 6006 CD could be a good match but if it's reversed then maybe the HTP would be good 

I used to use HTP in 464 and it was just too hot and then going down it wasn't enough...there was no in between size for my jar from the votive size to the 83 and that's when I switched to CD and it seriously makes a difference twisting that wick burn wise but they don't seem to like certain parasoys

I have no issues with them with 4630 and 415 blended 

The RRD are nice wicks also and I have just begun testing the premiers more 

Edited by moonshine

4 minutes ago, moonshine said:

And when I was testing Clarus parasoy the cd did smoke for me as well- I never got mushrooms but it did soot 

I would think if f more 464 was being used than 6006 CD could be a good match but if it's reversed then maybe the HTP would be good 

I used to use HTP in 464 and it was just too hot and then going down it wasn't enough...there was no in between size for my jar from the votive size to the 83 and that's when I switched to CD and it seriously makes a difference twisting that wick burn wise but they don't seem to like certain parasoys

I have no issues with them with 4630 and 415 blended 

The RRD are nice wicks also and I have just begun testing the premiers more 

I tried to like RRD. I even made a post a while back asking why we all didn't talk about them more (to try and spark more interest and testing). But after all my test, I find that mushroom and soot too much. Ill test more with CD as i always do... but so far, I like Zinc, htp, and even premier and lx better. 

2 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

I did on one batch... or it seemed that way to me. Since then, not really. Although havign a bit of soy in it makes me nervous. I have zero trust in anything soy right now. Lol

I don't blame you- 415 is horrid right now 

1 minute ago, moonshine said:

So with premier how do they burn compared to like HTP?

trying to get a starting point for the Clarus testing in the square Mason jar 

Which clarus? The one most like 6006 (supposedly)?

If so, Id start with htp 73 in the square mason and adjust from there. Permier, Id start with 745