6006/464 Wick Recommendation...

Testing out some new jars (11oz libbey heavy base tumbler).  They are about 3.125" in diameter.  I will be using a blend of 6006/464 (trying to get about 50/50 para/soy).  Fragrance will be CS macintosh apple @6%.  I want to test out zinc, wood, and RRD wicks.  Can anyone help me with which size to start with for each type of wick.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Also any other wick suggestions are welcome.

Thank You.

• 1 month later...

While I like zincs (for the most part) with 6006.... I think you are pushing it if you want to try them with adding more 464. 6006 is already around 30% soy I believe and Id say thats probably the upper limit to use zinc for soy. Once you get to 50/50, Id be wicking more for the soy than I would for the parrafin honestly. I cant really say on the wood wicks, but if it was me Id be starting with LX, maybe RRD, premiers and possibly HTP.

Hopefully that helps some.

Currently testing LX, ECO, Performa and RRD.  I dont like the way wood wicks discolor the wax.  I tried CD, HTP and Zincs but didnt like the performance.  Hopefully finances will allow me to continue testing until I find a winner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

What is it about the cd wicks you didn't like ? Keep us updated ?

Major mushrooming, tendency to lean over off center causing uneven burn.  The others just didn't have these issues.  I may revisit as the array of size options are quite nice.

13 minutes ago, ghostrider said:

Major mushrooming, tendency to lean over off center causing uneven burn.  The others just didn't have these issues.  I may revisit as the array of size options are quite nice.

Ok so it's not just me then. The 

thing that drives me crazy is how 

they lean, therefore leaving wax 

Hangup on the jar. I'm using 464 

right now & im thinking I should 

explore other wicks. I have ECOs

but no LX . What wick would you 

say you like best right now ?

TYI ??

5 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Ok so it's not just me then. The 

thing that drives me crazy is how 

they lean, therefore leaving wax 

Hangup on the jar. I'm using 464 

right now & im thinking I should 

explore other wicks. I have ECOs

but no LX . What wick would you 

say you like best right now ?

TYI ??

leaning towards RRD, ECO and Performa right now.  But just noticed some discoloration of wax with ECO wicks.

• 1 month later...

Hi I am currently doing further testing with both waxes, Chuck kindly suggested 15% 464 and 85% 6006. How are you getting on with wick selection Ghostrider?

I have tested LX, Stabilo and will be testing with ECO. LX I found to be very mushroomy and Stabilo was very smoky. However I burned some other companies candles and they were great but still mushroomy.

We cannot get RRD or Performa in the UK, well not that I have found so far.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:31 PM, ghostrider said:

All of which happen when the wick is too small. It seems ironic but that is what I found after using them 17 years.

• Like 1

I know others obviously have different results in their use and testing, but I have had much different results with CD.

They lean and cause uneven burning pretty much always.

Mushrooming... most of the time

Very hot, good sometimes and bad other times.

But because of the leaning and performance, it also causes excess soot in many applications.

I go back to CD time and time again and inevitably end up with the same results.

If the jar is wider, than I dont mind the CDs as mucuh since  a little leaning is still ok. But average diameter jars or smaller, the CDs get too hot on one side because they lean.

Let me put it this way.... if I dont know any better and I had only used CD's I would probably like them just fine. But time and time again, I prefer at least a few others over them every time. The ONLY candles I use CD in is my citronella... because I dont need a great even looking burn and its usually not a problem since I double or triple wick those. Plus, I want a really hot flame and to produce some smoke while it burns. So I will use CD and wickup for citronella. But thats it.

EVERY wick has its pitfalls and it really depends on wax and FO. But overall, CDs are not near my favorite. Im prefer them more in soy than straight parrafin or parasoy though.

7 hours ago, ghostrider said:

My favorites with that wax combo were LX and RRD, however I no longer use that combo due to glass adhesion issues that I just couldn't deal with.

You talking about some frosting or actual adhesion problems with wetspots, etc?

I stopped worry about wetspots a while back. I can control them darn near perfectly and have ZERO wetspots. But as soon they start moving, shipping, going to store shelves, etc... they will eventually show up anyway because of temperature changes. So I stopped worry about it. If they happen, they happen. If not... cool.

14 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

You talking about some frosting or actual adhesion problems with wetspots, etc?

I stopped worry about wetspots a while back. I can control them darn near perfectly and have ZERO wetspots. But as soon they start moving, shipping, going to store shelves, etc... they will eventually show up anyway because of temperature changes. So I stopped worry about it. If they happen, they happen. If not... cool.

Wet spots and pulling away from the bottom of the glass.  It created an very undesirable look in the tumbler glasses I use.  In tins this mix is perfect.

• Like 1

do you sell direct only or do you sell wholesale (sitting on shelves etc).

Because inevitably wet spots will show up on any clear glass containers. Its unavoidable because of temperature changes which is out of your control.

As long as mine look when making them myself, I dont care once they change hands because nothing I can do. 

Also.. I didn't really have big issues with wet spots with this blend. You have to really control the cure temp and let it cool as slowly as possibly. I do not have issues when donig that. But again.. its mostly soy, so will be undependable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wthomas57 said:

do you sell direct only or do you sell wholesale (sitting on shelves etc).

Because inevitably wet spots will show up on any clear glass containers. Its unavoidable because of temperature changes which is out of your control.

As long as mine look when making them myself, I dont care once they change hands because nothing I can do. 

Also.. I didn't really have big issues with wet spots with this blend. You have to really control the cure temp and let it cool as slowly as possibly. I do not have issues when donig that. But again.. its mostly soy, so will be undependable.

Haven't even started selling yet.  I tried everything but could find no repeatable method to get the look I was going for.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, wthomas57 said:

While I like zincs (for the most part) with 6006.... I think you are pushing it if you want to try them with adding more 464. 6006 is already around 30% soy I believe and Id say thats probably the upper limit to use zinc for soy. Once you get to 50/50, Id be wicking more for the soy than I would for the parrafin honestly. I cant really say on the wood wicks, but if it was me Id be starting with LX, maybe RRD, premiers and possibly HTP.

Hopefully that helps some.

I used 6006 by itself with LX wicks, worked good, but they do mushroom. I agree that a CD would work better since more soy is added.

I don't worry about wet spots, it will drive you crazy, especially since the weather/temps factor into candlemaking. I always go for the perfect burn.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

In a 3.25" diameter in 6006, try a CD 18. I know it sounds big, but as long as they are tabbed by WU that is what has worked great for me in 6006 in the diameter you are working in. A CD 10 doesn't even work for me in an 8 oz jelly jar. Too Small.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Flicker said:

In a 3.25" diameter in 6006, try a CD 18. I know it sounds big, but as long as they are tabbed by WU that is what has worked great for me in 6006 in the diameter you are working in. A CD 10 doesn't even work for me in an 8 oz jelly jar. Too Small.

Thanks for your insight Flicker! I will try that, it's a 18 stabilo.