EMERGENCY Mica rescue!!!

Sponiebr

o.O 

I was at the Dollar Tree tonight buying my month's worth of groceries and I was looking for wrapping ideas and... blah... blah...blah... Long story short: I ended up looking over in cosmetics and found L.A. Colors "SHIMMERING LOOSE EYESHADOW with BRUSH APPLICATOR". Whadda-ell  is THIS? Fast FORWARDED abridged version: it's 2.5 g of mineral, FD&C, and Lake dyed cosmetic eye and lip safe Mica. For $1. That's a little expensive at the ounce rate but if you just need a quick fix for topping or (I'm going to try some in a batch) then that's pretty darned convenient.  There's mineral oil and some other sticky stuff in the comp but not enough to be of any real concern, I don't think...

Here's L.A. Colors' website showing the product I bought, and their link showing their vendors is below it. Thort I'd pass this lil find along to those who need it most. Chandler's might benefit from this as well...

https://www.lacolors.com/Shimmering-Loose-Eyeshadow-1146.html

https://www.lacolors.com/location.php

Slainte,

Sponiebr 

• Like 2

I own several of these because I'm a glitter and shimmer 'ho when it comes to makeup.  :)    Thanks for the idea!

And as far as buying your groceries there:  I told a friend just last night that I could probably live quite happily shopping for everything I need and want on a regular basis from Dollar Tree, Dollar General, and Walgreens!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

All I can say is test with very small batches first. Soaping micas are treated with ingredients to help them remain stable at high pH. it will be very easy to blow through a lot of money trying to cut corners and save a buck. 

I'm about to gear up for a "fast batch" aka a HP batch... I add my mica, and well... everything... at the end of the cook on HP right? These shimmer thangs... I can't really use them in my regular batches because of the FD&C coloring and the Lake dyes, but I can certainly make up a few test batches for the sake of seeing how they perform. I can also use them in batches that I know the end user isn't going to die from touching the soap.

Am I being overly cautious? Probably. But I always say "Better completely inanimate and in your safe zone than not being completely inanimate and in your safe zone."  Oh and "We can dance if we want to..."  

You don't have to add everything at the end of the cook with HP, you can do it before. When I hp I add everything up front except my SF oil. In CP it doesn't matter, but in HP if you add your SF oil after the cook, you have a pretty good idea that that's the oil that's going to not get eaten by the lye. In CP the lye in non-discriminatory and will saponify whichever oil it comes across regardless of what you want so you never know which oil is going to be the SF oil, unless it's a one oil soap.  

FD&C colors are fine to sell in products but are not necessarily pH stable. Lakes, it's a fuzzy line. I have heard they have to be batch certified, and not broken out of the batch when sold in order to be resold in products, but yet our suppliers sell them in smaller than batch sizes to us all the time. 

I don't use Lakes, and probably never will, but if I ever do I need to read up more on the regulations of what can be sold in products. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/11/2016 at 3:59 AM, Sponiebr said:

I was at the Dollar Tree tonight....

I ended up looking over in cosmetics and found L.A. Colors "SHIMMERING LOOSE EYESHADOW with BRUSH APPLICATOR". Whadda-ell  is THIS? Fast FORWARDED abridged version: it's 2.5 g of mineral, FD&C, and Lake dyed cosmetic eye and lip safe Mica. For $1. That's a little expensive at the ounce rate but if you just need a quick fix for topping or (I'm going to try some in a batch) then that's pretty darned convenient.  There's mineral oil and some other sticky stuff in the comp but not enough to be of any real concern, I don't think...

Here's L.A. Colors' website showing the product I bought, and their link showing their vendors is below it. Thort I'd pass this lil find along to those who need it most. Chandler's might benefit from this as well...
https://www.lacolors.com/Shimmering-Loose-Eyeshadow-1146.html

https://www.lacolors.com/location.php

OMG, that's funny. I was just now searching for posts related to "mica" and "makeup" and found this post. I just happened to be at the Dollar Tree (one of my fav stores) last night and I found those L.A. Colors products with loose mica in them too. I bought several in misc. colors, they're very pretty. I went to L.A. Colors website and they no longer have them. I knew I could probably find some info about them or similar products on here and here ya go. I'm going to play around with them and make some wax melts. Can't wait to see what happens.

16 hours ago, Laura C said:

OMG, that's funny. I was just now searching for posts related to "mica" and "makeup" and found this post. I just happened to be at the Dollar Tree (one of my fav stores) last night and I found those L.A. Colors products with loose mica in them too. I bought several in misc. colors, they're very pretty. I went to L.A. Colors website and they no longer have them. I knew I could probably find some info about them or similar products on here and here ya go. I'm going to play around with them and make some wax melts. Can't wait to see what happens.

Those mica got used almost exclusively in wax melts. They work just fine in wax and also work fine in soap. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sponiebr said:

Those mica got used almost exclusively in wax melts. They work just fine in wax and also work fine in soap. 

Oh cool, thanks for letting me know. I was wondering if they would do fine in wax melts, I hope to experiment today.

• Like 1

Some members of another forum have tested small batches with eye shadow they had laying around for colorants.  They said many worked.  They were just making soap for personal use. I have seen it recommended for beginners to try.   I don't use eye shadow so nothing around to play with.

• Thanks 1