Eco Soya brand wax changing

I needed to order from Lonestar this evening and checked their FB page for coupons. That was when I discovered that EcoSoya is completely revamping their formula. I have copied this directly from Lonestar's post:

Important announcement regarding EcoSoya® waxes:

Some of you might know that the FDA has ruled that partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs) are no longer safe for food. This determination has had a huge impact on our industry considering that most vegetable waxes are made with PHOS including the EcoSoya® waxes. This change means that all of the EcoSoya® waxes we currently carry will be changing after the first of the year. This change will affect the CB-Xcel, CB-Advanced, CB-135, and Pillar Blend waxes. EcoSoya® is currently working on new formulations of these waxes that are expected to be even better than the originals.

So…what does this mean for you, the customer? This means that our current supply of the EcoSoya® waxes will only be available WHILE IT LASTS. We are doing our best to bring in as much of the wax as we possibly can so that we can accommodate our customers through this busy time of year. We have not yet heard when EcoSoya® will be launching their new formulations of these waxes but as of now we are expecting them some time after the first of the year. We have spoken with our other suppliers for our Golden Brands waxes and the Naturewax C-3 and they have assured us that their formulas will NOT be changing. This is a decision that EcoSoya® has made based on their business model.

We understand that changes like these can be very frustrating. It is our goal to help our customers with any questions and concerns you may have during this transition. Please do not hesitate to call us with any questions you may have. You may also e-mail us at customerservice@lonestarcandlesupply.com.

We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Lone Star Candle Supply Management

I just ordered 3 cases to be sure I can get through the season and keep my wholesalers supplied.  Just wanted to give a heads up, it was a most unpleasant surprise. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ILikeWaxMelts said:

Since this is regarding EcoSoya Wax;

I take it this will not effect Golden Brands "415 Soy Wax"

These are Two different Companies; am I correct?

https://www.candlescience.com/wax/golden-brands-415-soy-wax

I did not read anything on the original manufacturers site. but here is a list of their current offering: http://www.ngielements.com/about-ecosoya/ecosoya-products/

41 minutes ago, moonshine said:

If they do this with GB 415 and I have to retest hundreds of FOs I'm not going to be a happy person 

I understand their reasoning but can't they keep a candle line going and not change it ....what a PIA whether it's better or not 

moonshine; I believe with GB 415; that the GB stands for Golden Brands; and is therefore

NOT Eco-Soya; I believe they are different companies.

So I do NOT believe that GB 415 wax will be affected.

I was waiting; for another forum member to confirm this for me.

Edited by ILikeWaxMelts

I was waiting for this. Ecosoya just can't stick to a formula. I started with buckets of this back around 2001. Eco 120 then they came out with Eco 135, then they went to flakes and since have reformulated almost every wax at least once and added and discontinued others. It was frustrating as a business owner and it made me change to a different wax eventually. Bummer though, I wonder why all waxes are changing? Must be an expensive component in them all???

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2016 at 2:25 PM, Flicker said:

I was waiting for this. Ecosoya just can't stick to a formula. I started with buckets of this back around 2001. Eco 120 then they came out with Eco 135, then they went to flakes and since have reformulated almost every wax at least once and added and discontinued others. It was frustrating as a business owner and it made me change to a different wax eventually. Bummer though, I wonder why all waxes are changing? Must be an expensive component in them all???

From what I've read online with the chatter about Ecosoya it seems that this change is due to the new FDA regulations here in the US.  Some years ago select cities and I think California banned trans fats.  So the use of margarines/vegetable shortenings and these items in processed foods trickled back to the manufacturers. 

The FDA announced a year or so ago that they were going to instill this ban nationwide with 2016 being the year of compliance.  Back when it was just cities the Crisco brand stepped up and reformulated their product nationwide, but the smaller store brand shortenings seemed to stay the same until the FDA announced the nationwide ban.  Currently all vegetable shortenings on the market are now soybean oil (or cottonseed or other plant based oils) and palm oils.  They are still hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated...they still have trans fats in them, but as long as they fall under the guideline of zero trans fats per serving (and they can skirt around by having .9 trans fats and still call it zero) they seem to be okay with the way labeling is done.

Because of all of this...the way that vegetable oils are processed into hydrogenated products has changed.  That includes soy wax because all it really is is ultra hydrogenated soy oil and whatever the "select botanical oils" could possibly be.  Some are pure soy oil and some are blends, it depends on the company and the formulation. 

I honestly don't have a clue why it's just the Ecosoya label and not the Golden Foods or Cargill ones.  To me, soy candle wax doesn't have a thing to do with soybean oil in food, but one tidbit that I read seems to imply that its this FDA ruling and the change in the hydrogenation of oils that is forcing them to change their product line suddenly. 

On 11/18/2016 at 8:38 AM, TallTayl said:

Interesting... thanks for sharing. I wonder how retailers like CS will handle notifying customers of the change. lot numbers? Box labels lot numbers?

@Chefmom looks like this might alter our wax&wick tests. We will need a before and after set of tests.

lolol

I was thinking the other way around...why bother with what you know is going to be discontinued/unavailable in just months, depending on the existing supply. 

It doesn't even seem like they are bothering to make it widely known about the changes, there have been leaks through suppliers in the UK and Australia online in FB groups.  Naturally people follow the progression of the online game of "telephone" and many are starting to think there will be a global shut down of all soy waxes when it is (right now) just an issue with in waxes from one specific company. 

BUT...I would encourage anyone who uses these waxes from Ecosoya to take lots of photos of how your candles/fragrances/wicks are burning and label them for future reference once the new line comes out. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:55 PM, Chefmom said:

From what I've read online with the chatter about Ecosoya it seems that this change is due to the new FDA regulations here in the US.  Some years ago select cities and I think California banned trans fats.  So the use of margarines/vegetable shortenings and these items in processed foods trickled back to the manufacturers. 

The FDA announced a year or so ago that they were going to instill this ban nationwide with 2016 being the year of compliance.  Back when it was just cities the Crisco brand stepped up and reformulated their product nationwide, but the smaller store brand shortenings seemed to stay the same until the FDA announced the nationwide ban.  Currently all vegetable shortenings on the market are now soybean oil (or cottonseed or other plant based oils) and palm oils.  They are still hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated...they still have trans fats in them, but as long as they fall under the guideline of zero trans fats per serving (and they can skirt around by having .9 trans fats and still call it zero) they seem to be okay with the way labeling is done.

Because of all of this...the way that vegetable oils are processed into hydrogenated products has changed.  That includes soy wax because all it really is is ultra hydrogenated soy oil and whatever the "select botanical oils" could possibly be.  Some are pure soy oil and some are blends, it depends on the company and the formulation. 

I honestly don't have a clue why it's just the Ecosoya label and not the Golden Foods or Cargill ones.  To me, soy candle wax doesn't have a thing to do with soybean oil in food, but one tidbit that I read seems to imply that its this FDA ruling and the change in the hydrogenation of oils that is forcing them to change their product line suddenly. 

That would not affect NGI waxes in any way. The FDA does not in any way govern wax, and they have it fully made for them. This is something they have done over, and over, and over, like beating a dead horse. It's sad. I actually quit using and endorsing their products during the time I worked for a supplier carrying them because they were not reliable in terms of not discontinuing or changing products.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Flicker, Interesting comment!!!! Do you have any idea why Eco Soya might have discontinued their wax so abruptly?? When I got word this wax line was being discontinued, I placed a last panicked order, and I'm noticing that all my candles are burning 10-20 degrees hotter all of a sudden! Plus, this week I found TWO candles that have gone rancid! This has never happened to me, and they aren't even that old! This makes me super nervous using any of my remaining Eco Soya as you might imagine...

On 12/9/2016 at 0:01 PM, Flicker said:

That would not affect NGI waxes in any way. The FDA does not in any way govern wax, and they have it fully made for them. This is something they have done over, and over, and over, like beating a dead horse. It's sad. I actually quit using and endorsing their products during the time I worked for a supplier carrying them because they were not reliable in terms of not discontinuing or changing products.

Flicker, Interesting comment!!!! Do you have any idea why Eco Soya might have discontinued their wax so abruptly?? When I got word this wax line was being discontinued, I placed a last panicked order, and I'm noticing that all my candles are burning 10-20 degrees hotter all of a sudden! Plus, this week I found TWO candles that have gone rancid! This has never happened to me, and they aren't even that old! This makes me super nervous using any of my remaining Eco Soya as you might imagine...

• 4 months later...

Bumping this. 

Several people in other threads asked why/when the soy wax changed. The FDA determination that trans fats are not GRAS pushed the change, which trickled to us in our soy wax. If you read the tech sheets on many soy waxes, food is a listed intended use. 

I want to try the newly released eco soy waxes to see if they are anywhere as good as the older ones. 

NGI pulled the plug on their Ecosoys because (contrary to popular belief) they were acting more responsibly than Golden Brands, etc who keep selling their garbage when we ALL have witnessed and experienced its degradation recently. Soy waxes have become awful and I think they they are ALL suffering from it. Ecosoya pulled out abruptly to stop selling it and work on the reformulated blends. I'm not saying they will be great or that you should love NGI/Ecosoya... but I definitely dont trust GB anymore than I would NGI.