Fragrance (what's in it)?

Jul

Hi,

I recently joined this forum and I'm glad for all the information.

There is one thing though despite looking around a good bit I have not been able to find.

There is so much talk on the internet about what goes into Fragrance Oils. I am using Soy wax 464 and I would like to find something in terms of fragrances that's not harmful.

I ordered the Floral sample pack from Aztec and all it gives me is the name of what I ordered, but not much else. I decided to make candles for myself and maybe, if they turn out give some to my friends for Xmas. I don't want to make anything that could possibly be harmful. I am sure there are many other Candle makers out there who are thinking about this.

How are you all dealing with this?

thanks

Jul

• Like 1

Most are petroleum based oils with synthetic fragrances and a whole other host of other chemicals.   I vaguely remember trying fragrances a decade ago made with soy-based oils, and my notes support that there was practically no throw--your mileage may vary, and things may have changed since then.   If you're looking for something more natural, you'll need to go unscented or essential oils.

Something to keep in mind is that most waxes are highly refined...including soy.   The exception to that is unrefined beeswax or tallow if anyone really wants burning cow fat with a wick.

Edited by KrisS
  • Like 1

The problem with essential oils is that they give virtually no scent throw . Considering the cost of EO's I don't see it as being cost effective. There might

be a few EO's that might give you a descent HT - like maybe peppermint but I would think it would be very -very light :( Phalate free FO's are available

at may companies as well. What makes me mad is when I see candles advertised as "made w/ EO's and the scent is pomegranate lol ! Beeswax might 

be a good way to go for you. Unrefined beeswax smells lovely, I get mine locally at a good price. Good luck !

• Like 2

Fragrance oils contain aromachemicals (essential oils are also classed as aromachemicals by the way) and carriers. Perfumes we wear are made of aromachemicals and carriers.  Many fragrances I use for candles and soap are combos of synthetic and essential oil. No fragrance compounder I have ever worked with has shared their "formulas" for fragrance. A gas spectrometer can tell you exactly what is in your bottle, though. 

• Like 3

The gas spectrometer is the machine the labs use to dupe fragrances. It aerolizes the liquid and measures what is in the mist. Once they know the compounds in the original they select the aroma components from their inventory to recreate the fragrance. Some labs are, as we all know, better than others!

the gas spectrometer is also what the companies who test essential eo's use to determine quality and purity of the product. I met a few companies this past spring that use the machine to test food substances to test for trace amounts of pesticides, pollutants, etc. and test olive oils, honey and other food stuff known to be often adulterated for purity. fun stuff. 

1 hour ago, Jul said:

thanks to people for getting back with me on this. If anyone is interested Here's a link to an article, I thought is very informative. http://www.stephen-herman.com/Perf_Flav.pdf

As it turns out my topic question wasn't a very smart one.

Jul

It's not a bad question at all. The more you read the more confusing and scary candle making (and other related crafts) can become. 

Many of us use the IFRA guidelines when selecting fragrances to help ensure we are making a safe product. The blogosphere has been instrumental in raising concerns and demonizing both potentially harmful and also quite benign ingredients. It's hard to tell sometimes which is which! 

Stick with it, read, form educated opinions and I'm sure you will love the craft.

someone mentioned above beeswax. I specialize in this for one brand. Once you figure out beeswax it makes lovely, well accepted candles even with no scent. No wax is perfect, though, so make what you feel comfortable with. Tapers are my favorite for the simplicity, ease of success and beautiful flame. 

One concern some people may have is in regard to phthalates in scented candles.  I believe the most harmful phthalates that were once part of products, such as hair spray, are no longer on the market.  Also, from what I understand, in terms of "harmful," they are not known to be carcinogenic.  That aside, these chemicals are found in so many products now, that there's no way to eliminate them from our indoor or auto environments.  I bet there's more phthalates in the air anywhere in which people may be wearing a tad too much of perfume.  The "new car" smell and so many other smells from plastic materials, as well as nail polish, household products, etc. contain phthalates.

There are candle scents on the market that do not contain phthalates, but I personally get the feeling it's become a "buzz word" -- because there are so many phthalates everywhere we go, that I highly doubt it matters much if there is a bit in a candle that holds a bit of fragrance oil and is burned over a period of time. 

As for waxes, the most natural and clean burning is beeswax, as someone has already mentioned.  Some people may say that paraffin is "green," being a by-product of petroleum (not taking anything away from the environment in its manufacturing - which could be argued on some levels) and burns clean when well refined.  Soy wax (how "green" it is in terms of production, is not exactly a 100% rating, imo) burns clean.  Palm, may not be so "green" -- due to destruction of rain forest for palm plantations, yet there are "sustainable sources" of palm; the palm industry as a whole has not been kind to the earth or its creatures.  It's a matter of what's most important to you!  :)

On 10/16/2016 at 8:43 PM, TallTayl said:

It's not a bad question at all. The more you read the more confusing and scary candle making (and other related crafts) can become. 

Many of us use the IFRA guidelines when selecting fragrances to help ensure we are making a safe product. The blogosphere has been instrumental in raising concerns and demonizing both potentially harmful and also quite benign ingredients. It's hard to tell sometimes which is which! 

Stick with it, read, form educated opinions and I'm sure you will love the craft.

someone mentioned above beeswax. I specialize in this for one brand. Once you figure out beeswax it makes lovely, well accepted candles even with no scent. No wax is perfect, though, so make what you feel comfortable with. Tapers are my favorite for the simplicity, ease of success and beautiful flame. 

Speaking of which and a little off topic...

I use some candle fragrances that are not phthalate free and to be honest other than CS I wouldn't even know how to find out unless the description specifically states it but what I did notice the other day when purchasing FO From CS Is on their MSDS sheet out of curiosity was they have a health risk

There are a few regardless of phthalates that are rated prettt high as a health risk....even though it also states no respirator is required use in a ventilated room

this just made me wonder on all the companies I order from about their FO, what the risk is 

I do know everything we use has a risk including dish soap- shampoo and lotions but it can be pretty scary thinking about the handling of all these fragrances and how easily we have access to them 

• Like 1

That's a great point Moonshine -- it's important to understand what we are handling and scented oils can pose risks if handled incorrectly.  The same goes for essential oils, which, in some ways with certain ones, the MSDS may have many more handling instructions, as mishandling can be very dangerous.  It's that way with many crafts though -- there are safety precautions to be taken with just about anything.