Fragrance names

YAMS

Geez, I am full of questions today... *shudder*   Do you guys use on your candles the name that supplier uses for that specific fragrance or do you change it to your own names?    Not sure if using the same name is ethical/appropriate?  I am new to all this.   Thanks 

Its a good question and to be honest I think most people use a combination of both.

There are definitely times when its more appropriate to rename one.. if nothing else, just for creative reasons.

However... there are other times when a fragrance is so commonly known by a name and you might want your customers 

to know what it is right of the bat. 

For example... pumpkin spice is a commonly used name, or banana nut bread, or cinnamon rolls, etc.

Sometimes.. its good not to be overly clever. After all, many customers will simply want your cinnamon roll candle...

So, why make them search through your fragrances and hope they notice "Granny's Sweet Buns".   :D

Know what I mean.

• Like 2

I agree with wthomas ... sometimes a cigar is just a cigar lol ! and other times a combo of both or a clever holiday name IMHO :) 

Great questions + BTW I have those days also that Im full of questions but Im a inquisitive person by nature though : /

5 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Its a good question and to be honest I think most people use a combination of both.

There are definitely times when its more appropriate to rename one.. if nothing else, just for creative reasons.

However... there are other times when a fragrance is so commonly known by a name and you might want your customers 

to know what it is right of the bat. 

For example... pumpkin spice is a commonly used name, or banana nut bread, or cinnamon rolls, etc.

Sometimes.. its good not to be overly clever. After all, many customers will simply want your cinnamon roll candle...

So, why make them search through your fragrances and hope they notice "Granny's Sweet Buns".   :D

Know what I mean.

Perfect answer :) 

mostly use my own naming conventions because I would say that probably 95% of my scents are blends I have created myself. If it's not a blend, and I can't think of something clever, then I will use the suppliers given name. 

Edited by Jcandleattic

I use a combination as well.  The only hesitancy I have is when I'm naming a famous dupe.  I either rename altogether or put "compare to BBW" or a similar phrase. Mainly just to cover myself.  I worked for an attorney many years before I started teaching and I guess I'm a little skiddish ?

10 hours ago, MLG said:

I use a combination as well.  The only hesitancy I have is when I'm naming a famous dupe.  I either rename altogether or put "compare to BBW" or a similar phrase. Mainly just to cover myself.  I worked for an attorney many years before I started teaching and I guess I'm a little skiddish ?

I do this as well. Ill change the name and then put something like "compare to..." or "our version of..."

I use a combination as well

scents like apple pie, pumpkin pie, clean cotton or even flower ones I leave as is so people that are looking for those can easily find them if they are single note fragrances and not blends

perfume dupes like pink sugar I put "type" after it and yank or BBW dupes I rename if it's exclusive to them- say autumn lodge I just call it lodge or VBN I just call vanilla bean