Shallow Wide-Mouth Jars

I wouldn't waste my money on them.  They are so shallow, as soon as you start burning the, it won't be long b/4 they are empty....that's my opinion.  The quilted jelly jars you can find in any grocery store and hardware stores and save money on shipping.  That's my opinion on that one too! lol

Trappeur

I use the 16oz Elite jar for bath salts.  I dont use them for candles because I find wicking a regular 16 oz canning jar or square mason super easy, so that's what I use for that size.  I wouldn't mess with the 8 oz, but I might consider the 16 because I do love the way they look.

7 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Thanks for the tips -- okay, I will stick with taller profile jars, I just wondered if that wide diameter might be good for scent throw, plus I like the low profile look -- hmmm, 16 oz. is a big candle!  I've poured some for others (16 oz.), but never myself!

I use pint Ball jars and pour up to the curve, not into the neck.  You end up with approx. 12 ounces of candle.  There is a thread somewhere on this forum about how a candle burns regarding this just can't remember where I found it.  I tested some of the half-pint jars because they are adorable.  You get down to the bottom fast and there is a lot of unmelted wax left as the wick gets consumed to the tab.  Not a very clear description. :(

Goldie

Edited by GoldieMN

The scent throw also has to do with the air convection within the jar. When starting out I'd aim for a simpler to wick jar to hedge my early successes. Jelly jars, square Masons, status, etc. are all really popular and work really well for people :) 

9 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Thanks for the tips -- okay, I will stick with taller profile jars, I just wondered if that wide diameter might be good for scent throw, plus I like the low profile look -- hmmm, 16 oz. is a big candle!  I've poured some for others (16 oz.), but never myself!

• Like 1

I was also wondering about the wide mouth as a possible substitute for some of the tart candles I've made.  Those are about 4+" across and they can hold "whipped cream" or fruit slices, or "holiday cookies" or other embellishments -- BUT, it's not a very stable container, being that it's aluminum and looks like a small pie, so I'm limited in design concepts.  For instance, wax shells wouldn't look very good in a pie!  :)   I'm simply looking for some other ideas for my novelties, most of the time I throw many of those ideas away, but I do keep some from time to time!