Labels for candles

Hi everyone! I just joined today--my name is Kate, and I make soy candles. Only been doing it for a few months, but I love it, and so do my friends and family! I have recently had a logo made for my little company and have been using Vistaprint for labels up until this point. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me who they use for their labels---I need something more professional than Vistaprint, and I need labels in sizes for tins, Libbey jars, and tart melts. I've become very frustrated looking around online. I see so many peoples candles with beautiful labels and I have no idea where to get mine!

Guest OldGlory

One of the members here uses Zazzle and her labels are spectacular.

I make my own labels with a graphics program, Print Shop, and have always done so.

Some candle wax suppliers offer professional quality labels. Aztec offers lots of jar candle labels, they are an average size, but you will have to see if they have one for the fragrances you use.

I have been using Online Labels. http://www.onlinelabels.com/  If you place an online order for labels you can use their design software Meastro. Its a real simple, basic label design software but you can come up with a few good ideas and tweak them to your liking. Then order the labels and have a print shop print them. Just as an example, I recently made a few designs and am leaning towards this particular look. Now mind you, this is my first ever attempt at designing a label so forgive me if it seems....amatuer lol. These arent the "final renditions" I still have some more info to add near the bottom, web address, contact info. Some of the info is just placeholder text and I will fix later, but this gives you an idea of what the program can do.

These are for my 8oz tin top lids. Im doing the sides later today. But i can also just resize these to fit my 4oz and 16oz tins when ready.

This is for my Macintosh Apple tins.

B95PeWpl.jpg

This for my X-mas Tree tins

y0oQITjl.jpg

Baby Powder

CFkBAedl.jpg

As you can see, I just made a VERY BASIC template and then just changed each one to fit whatever candle type I am making. So far ive made about 14 all using this simple design. Im quite certain you can come up with something better than this lol :D

PS, not to hijack your thread, but if ANYONE has any suggestions, please for the love of God, leave me some feedback on what to change or add. Maybe E'smom and I can learn something from all the wisdom flowing through these forums :)

Edited by Clear Black

33 minutes ago, Clear Black said:

I have been using Online Labels. http://www.onlinelabels.com/  If you place an online order for labels you can use their design software Meastro. Its a real simple, basic label design software but you can come up with a few good ideas and tweak them to your liking. Then order the labels and have a print shop print them. Just as an example, I recently made a few designs and am leaning towards this particular look. Now mind you, this is my first ever attempt at designing a label so forgive me if it seems....amatuer lol. These arent the "final renditions" I still have some more info to add near the bottom, web address, contact info. Some of the info is just placeholder text and I will fix later, but this gives you an idea of what the program can do.

PS, not to hijack your thread, but if ANYONE has any suggestions, please for the love of God, leave me some feedback on what to change or add. Maybe E'smom and I can learn something from all the wisdom flowing through these forums :)

You have done a beautiful job. As you have likely seen on indie wax and candles, people believe that adding more things make a label better. More colors, more fonts and more images and overlays.

Yours look clean, have a nice readable font and you have not used too many font sizes. I use Special Elite font as one of my fonts and if this is not Special Elite, it is very close!

My only caution for you is listing burn hours on the label as this can really be altered burning in a person's home. Air conditioning, fans, placement of the candle can all come into play. 

The only other thing is to be certain that you have licensing rights to use the images you apply to your labels.

You have done a VERY nice job on these labels. Many may find them "plain" or "simple" but you have evoked a high end look.

I do have a nice sized wax business but it is my 3 decades long corporate job from which I draw my licensing, font, design and editorial experience. 

Guest OldGlory

Clear Black, your label design is really nice! They would certainly grab my attention.

One thing you might want to change:

When you label the weight of your candle, according to the FDA, you should list the net weight. Depending on the type of wax you choose and how full you are filling the tins, you are probably not filling with 8 oz. I also use the 8 oz tin and the 16 oz tin, but only fill them about 7 and 14 oz respectively. Just weigh the tin empty, then weigh one which you've filled, and list the least filled weight on the label. It's ok if the fill weighs a bit more, but you don't want it to weigh less. On my 8 oz tin, for example, I know that I usually fill it close to 7 oz, but I list the weight as 6.5 oz. I know that I will never fill it less than 6.5 oz, so that is the weight I chose for the 'least' measurement.

Don't you love the tins?

I paid someone to design a logo for me, so I need to find a company that can use my logo and print quality labels for me in multiple sizes. I get confused about this.... I don't want to spend $150 for a huge roll of just one fragrance. When I have many! This is where I run into a big problem with some of these websites. I really need someone to walk me through this. And will that website you both provided use my logo?

Guest OldGlory

I'm not sure if you're asking me about Zazzle...

but if you are, I don't use Zazzle. I make my own labels at home using Print Shop. You will have to contact Zazzle yourself and ask them about using your designs. I know they sell labels by the sheet, so you aren't locked in to a roll of anything. How many are on the sheet depends on how big the label is.
Or you can find a print shop store in your area and take your designs in and ask them if they can print for you.

2 hours ago, Edistosmom said:

I paid someone to design a logo for me, so I need to find a company that can use my logo and print quality labels for me in multiple sizes. I get confused about this.... I don't want to spend $150 for a huge roll of just one fragrance. When I have many! This is where I run into a big problem with some of these websites. I really need someone to walk me through this. And will that website you both provided use my logo?

That was my problem.....With so many fragrances I definitely couldn't spend 150.00 for just 1 fragrance so that is why I use Zazzle.

Old Glory has an excellent other option with having someone (a print shop) printing exactly what you need.

Trappeur