The Flaming Candle favorites??

Moneypenny

Hi everyone!  I really want to try The Flaming Candle's Baja Cactus Blossom and I was wondering what other fragrance oils are good from this supplier.  I use 100% soy for my candles, soy blend for my melts and I make cold process soap too!  Thanks so much!

• Like 1

I use parasoy, so I don't know how much help this will be.   I think TFC has some really beautiful fragrances.  I've had my eye on that Baja Cactus Blossom, too.  I'm anxious to try it, but I'll wait until I need to place an order.

For candles & clams, I use:

Tobacco Caramel (very nice, sweet, a little smoky, this one has wide appeal)
Earthen Oak (unique, earthy, but very nice)
Patchouli Amber (very strong. It's probably a love it or hate it scent, but I love it and it gets loads of compliments every time I burn it in our store)
Blue Sugar (straight up Blue Sugar, super strong)
Strawberries & Champagne (sweet, mellow, not in your face strong, but carries super well and the fragrance really lingers for a long while)
Tea & Cakes (a different type of bakery scent.  Seems more crisp, and the tea really comes thru.)
Wild Mountain Honey (this is a floral honey, I don't "love" it, but it fits in with our locale, and it is super strong)
Firewood (strong, and smells just like a campfire.  We own a campground and this sells, although I don't like it.  I smell campfires every day as it is.  I don't want to smell one in my house...LOL)

Most recently I've poured Havana, and it is a gorgeous scent, but I haven't tested it yet.

For B&B and aroma beads, I am in love with Floral Muse.  It is my absolute favorite fragrance for personal use.  Sandalwood Rose is beautiful, too

They send a free sample with orders over $20, and I've tried a bunch of those.  You can specify or they'll send a random sample.  Ocean Mist was nice, about the same as other Ocean Mists out there, good HT.  Birthday Cake, same as others and had a pretty good HT.  Coconut Caramel was a little light in my wax, but smells great.  Med. Cypress I did not like at all, but I never like anything with "Cypress".  They have a nice Butt Naked & Pink Sands.  Amish Harvest is strong, about like others I've tried. Lavender Sandalwood went in room sprays and it is very nice, but probably too light in soy.  Hickory BBQ Smoke smells just exactly like hickory BBQ smoke. I mean, dead on.  I put it in wax, but I'm afraid to burn it.  LOL   I'm sure I'll think of more later. 

• Like 1

I use TFC for most of my oils and I love them. I just recently bought a pound of Baja Cactus Blossom and I love it. The cold throw is nice. I'm still waiting on a cure to test the hot throw. So far all the oils Ive bought from them have preformed very well in 464 and 415. Anything specific you're looking for? I can make recommendations based on that. 

• Like 1

I love The Flaming Candle! Scents that throw strong in my all soy blend for tarts include:

Chamomile (herbal and clean smell, really strong)

Oakmoss (This one is strong I would start with 5-6%)

Apple Jack and Peel (super strong in my tarts)

Black Ginger and Bamboo

Eucalyptus 

Lemongrass

Lavender and the Lavender blends are all great in my soy

Asian Sandalwood

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I thought of a couple more.  Fruit Loops is super strong.  I don't really care for it, but a lot of people love it.  My mom loves Falling Leaves in tarts.  It is her favorite and she says the tarts last for days.  The Honeysuckle is nice and strong also. 

• Like 1

Sandalwood rose smells really nice however it has a light throw in 464. Kentucky bourbon  is awesome and throws well. Tobacco caramel smells great OOB but I haven't put it in wax yet. If you're doing sample sizes remember to use the sampler pack it saves you some money if you buy it like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FB157 said:

Sandalwood rose smells really nice however it has a light throw in 464. Kentucky bourbon  is awesome and throws well. Tobacco caramel smells great OOB but I haven't put it in wax yet. If you're doing sample sizes remember to use the sampler pack it saves you some money if you buy it like that.

Thanks for the tip on the sampler pack ! I really appreciate your input :)  I haven't gotten around to testing out my GB 464+ 415 yet ,

I ordered sample packs of premiere wicks - CD + CDN 's . Ill most likely just stick with the 8oz mason jars from CS - Im having a hard time 

finding 8 oz amber glass jars with lids, SKS bottle seems to have them on back order. Plus I wish CS would carry the gold tins ... oh well . 

Does the Kentucky bourbon have a vanilla smell at all - Im hoping to find a good vanilla bourbon .

15 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Thanks for the tip on the sampler pack ! I really appreciate your input :)  I haven't gotten around to testing out my GB 464+ 415 yet ,

I ordered sample packs of premiere wicks - CD + CDN 's . Ill most likely just stick with the 8oz mason jars from CS - Im having a hard time 

finding 8 oz amber glass jars with lids, SKS bottle seems to have them on back order. Plus I wish CS would carry the gold tins ... oh well . 

Does the Kentucky bourbon have a vanilla smell at all - Im hoping to find a good vanilla bourbon .

No it does not have a vanilla smell, at least to my nose. But it pairs well with Very Vanilla from TFC. For me I like Premiers in 464 and CDs in 415. 

• Like 1

Awesome!  Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful information!  This really helps me a lot!  As far as what I am looking for, I really like to add fresh and clean and some earthy right now as I have plenty of bakery.  I think I may have a new supplier!  Love this board so much! 

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hello everyone-love the information shared so far - my very favorite candle scent is Northwoods Cabin from 1803. I would love to try and find a similar strong scent for my tarts and candles. Also wondering how you mix scents - is it trial and error or is it an actual science with measurements- I am very new to this and loving the scents I have tried so far 

I am waiting on another delivery tomorrow from FC and ordered a leaves sample.

looking for a strong woods scent with a balsam or fir scent. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

have a great day!

9 hours ago, Tlmanty said:

Hello everyone-love the information shared so far - my very favorite candle scent is Northwoods Cabin from 1803. I would love to try and find a similar strong scent for my tarts and candles. Also wondering how you mix scents - is it trial and error or is it an actual science with measurements- I am very new to this and loving the scents I have tried so far 

I am waiting on another delivery tomorrow from FC and ordered a leaves sample.

looking for a strong woods scent with a balsam or fir scent. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

have a great day!

Hello and welcome to the board!

What notes does Northwoods Cabin have? Bitter Creek Candle Supply has a Northwoods Christmas that's very strong! Maybe it's similar.

In my experience, blending is trial and error. I do blend a few scents but not many. I keep planning to do more but just don't get around to it. I think one way some blend is to dip a q-tip in a fragrance and put it in a plastic bag or something with a q-tip dipped in another fragrance and see how you like the smell of the two together. I've done that a few times and it seems to be a pretty good way to try scents together.

Hope this helps!

Awesome thank you for that suggestion in blending. 
I will check out that Northwoods Christmas. 

Also wondering if anyone knows what tart wax give the best hot throw. I am trying the GW 464 but am open to a blend if they have better fragrance throws. 

thanks again for taking the time to reply 😊

On 8/20/2022 at 8:48 AM, Tlmanty said:

So I just looked up the description of Northwoods Cabin - full bodied aroma of fragrant pine, fresh leaves, sweet berries and trees of the forest - 

does that spark any suggestions to try?

thanks again - happy Saturday 

Here's the description from Bitter Creek Candle Supply. Maybe it's similar! 

Scent Description Our own special blend of Fresh Wintery Balsam Pine & Light Spiced Cranberry. Surprisingly pleasant and refreshing. This scent puts an exciting new twist on pine!

On 8/20/2022 at 7:37 AM, Tlmanty said:

Awesome thank you for that suggestion in blending. 
I will check out that Northwoods Christmas. 

Also wondering if anyone knows what tart wax give the best hot throw. I am trying the GW 464 but am open to a blend if they have better fragrance throws. 

thanks again for taking the time to reply 😊

If you want to use at least some soy you can get the tart wax that's 50/50 soy and paraffin from Nature's Gardens called Pillar of Bliss, Virginia Candle tart wax, Flaming's tart wax (they have one that's all paraffin and also the 50/50 soy and paraffin), Rustic Escentuals (also have all paraffin and the 50/50 blend), and I've used both and they both have a good scent throw in my opinion.