Fragrance Oil Mishap

It was a near disaster.  I rebottled 5# of CS fragrance oil that I purchased here.  It was in mason jars and not very pour friendly.

I purchased what I thought was the same PETE bottles I had used before...BEWARE..not all PETE is created equal.  These have

exact same marking as others i've used but these melted from the oil.  Thank God I had them in a plastic storage container that did not melt and

that I've been using oils weekly or it could have leaked through and I'd really have problems.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Candybee said:

wow! So glad you were able to save your FO. What a disaster that would have been!

Well I lost 5# that all mixed together and smelled downright gross plus had melted plastic in it.  I did save about 8# that were in the same storage bin and not affected

by the mishap other than to ruin the labels!  Just thankful it didn't leak onto my wood cabinet or my carpet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, earthfriendly said:

Next time I order from Brambleberry I want to try out their pour spouts for 8 and 16 oz. jars.  Hopefully someone can chime in and tell us if they like them.

Is that for glass bottles?  That would be awesome!

• Like 1

Oh man i bet you were freaking out ... or i know i would have been :) This is why i don't like plastic bottles or jars. I was once testing out a lotion + added 

eo - well after awhile the eo started eating away at the plastic - no more plastic for me - glass jars /bottles. Im so glad you were able to save some .

I hate to ask but how in the heck did you clean all that up ? Wait - did this happen today Friday 13th ??? lol ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcbrook said:

I have some that fit the glass bottles but they don't pour without being able to squeeze.  I haven't found anything that works well on the glass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pcbrook said:

Oops, I meant to say for glass bottles.

24 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I have some that fit the glass bottles but they don't pour without being able to squeeze.  I haven't found anything that works well on the glass.

Are they from Brambleberry or the same as?  I did see the two reviews and they did like them. Their only question was whether to remove the spout after using to prevent evaporation.  I would certainly remove after use.

1 hour ago, pcbrook said:

I looked on the Brambleberry website and I could not find anything.  Where are they?

The one I saw at Brambleberry looks like a liquor pour spout and you would need to remove it after use and cap your bottle.  The ones I used have a spout that snaps up and down from the screw on lid but they only work well if you can squeeze the bottle.

2 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

The one I saw at Brambleberry looks like a liquor pour spout and you would need to remove it after use and cap your bottle.  The ones I used have a spout that snaps up and down from the screw on lid but they only work well if you can squeeze the bottle.

Thank you, guess I'll have to give these a try.

16 minutes ago, pcbrook said:

Found them!  Thank you!

You're welcome.

If it helps the plastic bottles I get from varied suppliers are in HDPE #2. I just leave the FO in the plastic bottle. I have had many bottles over the years just sit for ages. I even have some that are 8-10 yrs old and still good and never, ever leaked. I think you need to make sure you get HDPE bottles with a rating of 2 or higher. Then you should be okay. Plus all of them have the tops you can use the pouring type lids with. Like the flip top or spout tops. I love using them so much I save emptys and reuse them to mix new FO combos I make.

26 minutes ago, Candybee said:

If it helps the plastic bottles I get from varied suppliers are in HDPE #2. I just leave the FO in the plastic bottle. I have had many bottles over the years just sit for ages. I even have some that are 8-10 yrs old and still good and never, ever leaked. I think you need to make sure you get HDPE bottles with a rating of 2 or higher. Then you should be okay. Plus all of them have the tops you can use the pouring type lids with. Like the flip top or spout tops. I love using them so much I save emptys and reuse them to mix new FO combos I make.

Yes I have used those in the past.  These bottles that melted are supposed to be same as what RE uses. They are marked identical but obviously they are different bottles.  I've kept RE fo's for years as well with no issues and have purchased the "same" empty bottles before

with no issues so these are clearly mismarked by the mfg.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 4:00 PM, kandlekrazy said:

I put a skewer against the opening and pour down that into my other containers from glass bottles. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've found. I rarely spill any doing it this way. 

• Like 1